Help connecting 2 amps and 6 speakers

Username: Shizzle420

Post Number: 1
hi all, this is my first post. I am just learning about car audio setups, as I have done mostly home audio stuff. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have recently installed a One channel VR3 300 watt amp to a Pioneer 15" sub. It is connected to the amp RCA line out on the stereo. Not a high end amp for sure, but it sounds decent.

The bass is good but the highs and mids get alittle drowned out. So I picked up a 4 channel 400 watt VR3 amp to drive the front and rears.

I also bought TWO extra 6x9 enclosures and speakers.

What a project I have on my my hands now, as I have no idea how to wire this up.

So there will be TWO amps used. I have wiring already to the sub amp mounted under the seat.
Includes 12v power, the antenna wire, and the ground. Can I just spice into that?

The car radio (also vr3) does have RCA outputs for an amp AND a sub (4 total outputs). (I know the amp preout will need to be "split" to the 4 channel amp)

I have consider these options:

1) use my exisitng equipment - most preferred
OR
2) just use the 400 watt only, and have one channel to the rear and the other drive the amp, but the amp power would only be 100rms compared to the 150 it is now, cutting the bass)
OR
3) Buy a DIFFERENT amp which has 5 channels, and will drive 4 full range speakers AND a sub. That would require selling the other 2 amps and getting something else. Perhaps an option in the future, and only if I cant make this work right.

Would appreciate some expert advice on how to do this.

Do I have to run TWO separate lines for each amp? Does it make good sense to use TWO amps? Is it ok to mount them next to eachother? Can I just add the new speakers to the new amp, using 6 speakers total (2 that are powered)?

confused, please help.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2278
What kind of radio do you have, brand and model number?if it has only 1 rca in the rear, your going to have to use "y" adapters. on one side of the rca use female to males(goes to sub amp) then use female to 2 female on other side, then you need male to 2 male (2 of them for each side on the female to female) that will go into the 4 channel amp. it is almost easier and will sound better if you get a radio that has 3 rca's on them(front, rear and sub output)

Post Number: 2
thanks for your reply.

as stated:

"The car radio (also vr3) does have RCA outputs for an amp AND a sub (4 total outputs). (I know the amp preout will need to be "split" to the 4 channel amp)"

It is a VR3 radio. model VRCD400-SDU
There are 2 amp preouts
AND 2 sub outs.
For a total of 4.
Yes, I know they will need to be split with Y adapters.

It doesnt matter so much that I have to power 4 speakers, just the rear 2 might be enough.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 699
sorry to ruin your thread but your system is kinda bad, why don't you get less VR3 from walmart and buy some good stuff?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2281
i looked at the manual, you will need 2 "y's for the 4channel(female to 2 males), run reg rcas to the 4 channel and "y' off at the amp. and use a male to 2 female for the sub,(at the radio to convert from single input to regular rcas input).

Post Number: 3
juliob, its all good, i know that VR3 is low end, but im a tight budget right now, and just learning how to wire car audio. Id rather start somewhere and work my way up.

I must say though, the VR3 receiver I got is one of few that have a SD card, USB, auxillary in jack, and plays mp3 (even multisession), with detachable faceplate and sub out for UNDER $100. Lots of options for a decent price.

Before getting it, I checked out pioneer, sony, jvc and they were 2-3 times as much and none of them had all of those options, though Im sure they sound better.

The VR3 receiver with vr3 amp I got sounds pretty good considering how little it costs.

ive seen guys spend 10k for a system, in a CAR! thats insane.

well back to my project...

Post Number: 4
ty, i got that part.

what about the other wiring?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2283
run 1 single 4 guage wire from battery to a dist block, then either 8 guage or 4 guage to amps., individually ground the amps and run 1 remote wire and add a small piece at end to create 2(1 for each amp)

Post Number: 5
ahh, i need a "distribution block"? that sounds logical. Looks like another trip to walmart, haha.

Post Number: 6
in the case of option 3 (above), whats a decent 5 channel amp (brand/model). Could I get anything good for around $100-$150? I saw the VR3 1000 watt 5 channel (not currently for retail sale) was selling for around $89.00 USD used on amazon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2285
if you have the other stuff already, then stay with that, the end result is the same, also for what your using it for, you prob need not to spend any more money then neccessary. the 5 channel might save you space and maybe 1 extra wire or 2 and a distro block, but it not an upgrade from the other 2 amps...., but you need the same rcas

Gold Member

Post Number: 2286
oh and if your adding the 2 xtra 6x9's just run them on 2 of the channels with another pair of speakers, the 4 channel amp is stable at 2ohms stereo.

Post Number: 7
ty, will I be able to connect ONLY the two new 6x9's to the 400 watt amp? i know its a 4 channel amp, but I dont know if connecting just 2 will work. Can it double the amps to that pair?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2291
if it is the 4 channel then you can bridge the amp using 1 6x9 on channels 1,2 and the other on 3,4

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 537
Ok in a nut shell.
Run 4awg to the amps from Bat + May need dist block,.. or use wire terminals , Connect to one amp then jump to the next amp.
Ground both amps . Short runs to chassis.
Run 2 sets of RCA from HU. 1 stereo, 1 sub. Plug the stereo one into the 4 channel and run the 4 6x9s off each channel
Plug the sub rcas into the 300 amp and run the sub. Run the rem to one amp then the other with a shorter whip..If the amps have probs turning on, you may need a relay. OK?

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 538
BTW, I posted about that HU in the HU section last night. Cool features of a crappy HU. Yea I thought it was a cool HU as well, But...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2300
run rcas to 4 chanel and use "y" adapters and use the 2 6x9 1 per pair of channels. and use dist block, you can jump remote turn on, and need "y' adapter converting sub single output to a dual output(male to 2 female "y" adapter")you do not need a relay,

Post Number: 8
so your saying I dont need a block?
just jump over?

I looked at the original packaging for the power cable, and its said to be 8 ga and can support up to 250 watts rms. The cable is quite thick.

Looks like I may have to buy a different cable now? maybe the thicker 4 guage that can support 2 amps. Geeez, those cables cost more than my amp, lol.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 541
Sorry, if your just running 2 6x9s off the 400 then do what ty said. Also the HU has 2 stereo out puts and two sub out puts. I would just leave the 300 amp alone, run more power wire to the 400 and one more set of rca to it from the HU. What size wire RU using now? If you run 4awg to one amp get 4awg spade terminals, At the battery terminal stuff at Walmrt. Jump from one amp power to the next. IE one amp has the wire from the bat to it, put a spade terminal on it, connect the other spade terminal to it and run a whip to the other amp. Saves buying a dist block. spade Connecters are like 1.88 for 2.

Post Number: 9
just for fun, here's my equipment cost breakdown:

$89 - VRCD400 VR3 Receiver (new, walmart)
$20 - Dash kit (new, walmart)
$20 - Wire kit (new, walmart)
$55 - Pioneer Subwoofer (new, walmart)
$0 - sub box (used from older stereo system)

$16 - VR3 sub amp, 300 watt (used, ebay)
$28 - VR3 4 channel amp, 400 watt(used, ebay)

$20 - 2 Scosche 6x9's, 225 watt (75w rms) (new, discounted)
$15 - 2 6x9 speaker enclosures (new, discounted)

total cost: $263 approx.

Post Number: 10
just want to jump in and say thanks for the tips, im learning alot from you pros.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 544
Im running the 1000w vr3 4.1 channel amp. 4 channel plus sub output. Im am only running 2 6x9s bridged off of it. If your interested Ill sell it to you cheap, and put the cash towards tys Mem 200.2 LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 2305
do it the right way use a disto block when wiring multiple amps.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
marc, sounds interesting.. how can i contact you about it? i tried pm and not sure if thats workign.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 546
Ya I got it , Let me know Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
can someone recommend an affordable option for wire? the walmart package seemed alittle pricey, maybe im wrong. Need a shielded RCA cable and power cable. Radio shack perhaps?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
is it worth getting a cap along with wiring kit?

I saw one here:

http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/products/?sfID1=132&pg=3&productID=1622&walmartP roductID=4694327

80 bucks, woah
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us