Importance of fuse?

Bronze Member
Username: Drwang

Post Number: 18
I just installed a Rockford Fosgate Punch P8002 amp and 4 gauge wire kit. The amp wiring kit came with only a 80A fuse but the Punch amp recommends a 150-amp fuse. Can I run the current fuse without worries?

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 692
get 150, try to do the recommended thing when it comes to amp, do you have warranty and all those stuffs? Do what they say lol!

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 344
try it with the 80a fuse till oyu get a bigger one worse that will happen is your fuse will blow

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 878
I agree with mat. To add to that - if you're not running the amp bridged or with both channels at 2 ohms that fuse will probably never blow. Even if it is running like that you'd have to be driving it awfully hard to pull more than 80A rms.

And FWIW - 150A is on the high side for 4 ga. At 15' 4 ga is rated for up to 130A.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 342
that or youll clip your amp because it cant get enough power through the little fuse, which is bad, i would spend 25$ and get a 150

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 100
Its only like 10$ for the fuse, you limiting the power to your amp if you got your settings high it would make it distort with littler power then needed...yadayadayda....... get the bigger fuse it will prolly sound better depending on what your pulling now.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 943
A fuse doesn't limit power, it just blows at a certain amount of power, usually over time, as protection against damage and possibly a fire from excessive power.
I would use the specified fuse rating, they engineered it and put that size fuse in it for a reason.

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 905
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AGREED 1/2 though run the 80 amp fuse if it blows then just upgrade....but 150 sounds high......whuts the rating on the amp

My raa-1000 Has 3x40 amp fuses but i run an 80 amp fuse through the wire.....granted it is runnin @ 2 ohm 500rms my freind has his runnin @ 1ohm n hasnt blown a fuse yet.......

150 is overkill.....specqilly on 4ga

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 137
ya do 125 amp

Bronze Member
Username: Drwang

Post Number: 19
The amp has 3*40A fuses=120 and the battery inline fuse is 80A. But yea, sounds good, I'll just replace it if it blows. Thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us