Bridging Xtant 404m to drive an Alpine Type-R

Bronze Member
Username: Maz66

Post Number: 39
Hi guys, just wondering if there's anything wrong with bridging an Xtant 404m to get:

2 x 200 Watts Per Channel @ 4 Ohm Bridged

And using each channel to drive each of the two 4ohm voice-coils on an older model Alpine Type R 12" Sub (300wrms)? Its a bit more power then recommended but I've heard that the older type-r's can take a bit more then the rated 300wrms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2256
yes, those are dual 4 subs, you would be putting eith a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load on the amp, it is not stable bridged less then 4ohms...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I thought that the woofer's VC's are independant. So that if i bridged the amp i would have two channels, each seeing a 4ohm load (each Voice Coil) and outputting 200w per coil or am I missing something?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2271
you would have to run each voice coil per channel, not bridging it at all. not the best way to run a sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
hi Ty, thanks for your insight.

I forgot to mention that its a 4 channel amp so i would actually be bridging 2 pairs of channels to get the 2 x 200wrms @ 4ohms. Sorry, i should have mentioned that at the start.

What are the disadvantages of running a sub this way (1 channel per VC)? I can imagine that having unequal gain settings for each channel would probably cause some problems, but as long as the two channels were fed the same signal from the RCA's and the gains were pretty closely matched it should still work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2272
even though the gains may look the same, most of the time thery are not. running 1 voice coil per sub or running both subs together (at a 4ohm load) then to 1 pair of channels is the only way to run that setup.

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 175
man just save your money and get this amp
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14926
and dont overpower and old sub they are not as strong as new subs they have more chance of blowing dont use a cr*appy amp on good subs monoblock all the way!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Its ok guys i found another amp that will do the job properly, thanks for your help

Bronze Member
Username: Themax99se

Post Number: 26
Okay, I think there is an important unawsered question here.

What is the best way to use a 4 channel amp to power ONE DVC subwoofer? (lets say its a 4ohm DVC)

I think Maverick was attempting to use the full 400 watts of the 4ch xtant amp. Was this possible by bridging two of the channels and running each bridged channel to EACH COIL on the sub?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2303
you don't you need dual 2 you can not run a 4 channel below 4ohms bridged(on most amps)

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 91
Im a little confused, If it is a DVC speaker with each VC being 4ohms, and a 4ch amp. Isnt in most cases a 4 channel amp will allow your to bridge say (speaker outputs 1 & 2) independently each channel is 2ohm stable but when bridged it is 4 ohm stable, And do the same with outputs 3&4 with that couldnt you use the 1&2 bridged on one VC and outputs 3&4 bridged on the other VC? it sounds logical enough for me as long as it all has equal power running threw it. Does that sound right? I think thats what maverick and louis are asking....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2318
you can do that if you have 1 sub, not advised though, like i said earlier, if the gains are not set exact(youtr going to blow something) the only way to exact match the gains is with a machine, not by your eye. Sometimes the factory settings are not the same for the gains per side. 4 channel amps were never made to run subs, they were meant for your mids and highs....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us