HO alternator question

Bronze Member
Username: Bassheadjosh

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 46
I'm looking for an HO alternator, preferrably 250 amps. Planning on putting it into an explorer. Typically at what rpm does the alternator put out its rated current? Is it low, like around 2000...or higher? Does it depend on the alternator? Not really to sure about alternaotrs, so any help would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2312
1500-2000 is where it'll kick out the power, depends on the alt as to exactly when. at idle, they don't put out much more then stock, but they can be made to put out more if you ask.

example, Iraggi's Amputator series alts have high idle outputs. i have one and its 200 amps with 110 at idle.

Bronze Member
Username: Bassheadjosh

Utica, MI US

Post Number: 47
not bad, thanks for the help

Bronze Member
Username: Excessiveamps

Dothan, Alabama Good Ol U.S....

Post Number: 97
I can probably custom build you one that will give you about 150 amps at idle. Email me at nathanpeddicord@yahoo.com if I can help. Most of my alternators give you full power at about 2ooo rpm. Some companies are higher like about 3-4000 rpm.

Bronze Member
Username: Mash4kash

Post Number: 13
I have 2700 watts rms on my stock 140 amp alternator in my 95 Impala SS. Thats 7 30a fuses on my amps total of 210 amps. Its my show car so I only drive it once a week or every other week. Everyone here says I need a HO alternator. Do I still need to upgrade alternator even if I don't drive the SS everyday? biggest I found is 200a. Is 200a enuff to run the car and 2700 watts rms of music? I got 0/1 gauge power/ground 0/1 gauge "Big 3" 2 yellow top deep cycle. Will post pics of my car.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 128
heres the deal... if you let the system recharge adequately and do not let the voltage drop below 13.5 when playing it, it shoud be fine. Before you store it or put it away for a week make sure the system (batteries) is charged to 14.4 volts...

Bronze Member
Username: Mash4kash

Post Number: 15
Do I need a bigger alternator or can I leave it at stock? I think stock might be 105 amps not 140 amps.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2548
id go bigger

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
If you are running 2700 watts rms, You will need a bigger alternator. I can custom build up to a 300 amp in a direct bolt on. You can email me at nathanpeddicord@yahoo.com if I can help.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 150
Would underpowering your amp cause it to get hot? I lose voltage on my gauge when i turn the AC on along with my music. I ran a multimeter across my battery and across the power cap INPUTS of my power system and i was getting readings of 13.8V with the gauge in my dash showing as low as 11V.... is this what my alt. is putting out? Is it trying to put out more then it can? Also Nate, i will probally be talking to you again soon about the 375A you told me you can probally get made for me. I have a problem where i lose voltage when i accelerate, i do have a very tight belt so i kno its not slipping, but when i hit aabout 3500-4000RPMS i lose voltage it just continues to drop the highger the rpms go, would this be a problem with my alternator? and with your alternators what is the voltage it will put out at the max Amps it will put out? im not sure if it is suposed to lose voltage when it starts putting out more amps.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2622
it will cause ur amp to clip...which will make it work harder...kill ur subs...and most likely get hot

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
John, I just sent you an email about your Blazer alternator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us