Fiberglass insulation safe in subwoofer box?

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_d3cib3l

Post Number: 16
Hello. I built a subwoofer box to use with my MB Quart RWE202. I have some Handi Fill Fiberglass that I have never used yet and I was wondering, would it be safe to fill the box with this? All it is a fiberglass that is used to fill in blank spaces in walls, ceilings, etc. Anyway, I was curious to see if this would entail any health hazards. If it does, would foam be better? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 661
i didn't know they used fiberglass for walls and ceilings... i thought they used stucco?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
They use fiberglass for insulation on between walls and overhead in attics.

Stucco is used for insulation around the house (styrofoam sheets covered with that abrasive stuff- stucco)

I know you could eventually get lung cancer from it, so I am curious as to see weather it is safe or not in a sealed box. I guess maybe I should just buy some Polyfill.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 507
Ive seen it posted somewhere that ppl do use it. I would just use polyfill, Its cheap, Or tear apart some stuffed animals.

Silver Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 181
Lung cancer from fiberglass? You sure you're not thinking of asbestos? Cause if you can get it from fiberglass insulation, I should watch it. I install tv and internet for the phone company here, and I'm constantly digging through like 50 year old fiberglass.

Bronze Member
Username: Halby

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 95
I don't think that fiberglass is cancer causing. Some studies have found that silica, that makes up glass is cancer causing but that isn't even certain. Also ,you would also have to inhale it. Silica is only a cancer causing agent when smaller particles are inhaled.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
There isnt a 100 percet chance of cancer, but if the fiberglass particles are inhaled or contacted with skin repeatedly, there is a chance. At least, that is what the package says, so that is why i am not sure. Also, the fiberglass would move inside the box from the air pushed by the sub, causing a chance of the fibers to leak. I mean, in a wall, it isnt moving, so I dont think it is that harmful.

I think I will just use polyfill or carpet insulation.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5572
Fiberglass isn't safe at all. Do not touch it with bare hands nor breathe them.
For subs, use pollyfill instead. It's safe and cheap.
They also have special padding that looks like underpadding for carpets.

Silver Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 133
i used carpet pad for sound deadening and it worked out great, so give that a try, get the high quality stuff though
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us