P880PRS vs P780MP

Username: Nikoncd

Post Number: 10
Which in your opinion is the superior HU? I've seen some of the specs and they look fairly even- the 880 has an Auto-Eq with a mic and Time Alignment (what exactly the time alignment is I am not sure), while the 780 would have a color OEL and a direct subwoofer key (which I don't what is either). I am have no preference for OEL... I think they both have their appeal, I am thinking about ease of use and superior performance. What do you think about each, is the single knob 780 easier to navigate through menus with? Is the White OEL of the 880 hard to read during the day? I am sorry to ask all the questions, but I am pretty much gonna buy one of these decks and I can't test any in person, I plan to buy off the net - hope you understand and help :-)

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 140
heres what i think..

the Dual (L/R) 16-Band Graphic equalizer is absolutely retarded

why didnt they make it front and rear instead of left and right

now kids are gonna make the whole left side the front and the whole right side the back

thats listening to your stereo with your head turned looking out the window.. so twisted

i feel like..

a: dont buy the 880 just because of that stupid error with the equalizer (cmon pioneer.. do a field test)

b: buy the 880 and hook the speakers up sideways instead of buying an external crossover for the front and rear (i am against this idea completely)

c: if the looks of the 880 are ok with you save some money rather then buying one of the newest models with the auto eq such as the 980(i think the 880 has class mixed with an outdated display)

d: if you cant wait for a 980 then go with the 880 if your excited about auto eq

if your not excited about the auto eq and know how to properly adjust the test tones manually.. i would go with the 780 considering its easy multi function knob and awesome screen

remembering a couple clicks of a turn then a push then a couple clicks and a final push with one knob is a lot easier then taking your finger off the knob and trying to find another button

and in this case.. there is a knob on the total other side.. i dont know what its for or how often its used.. but its a bad thing while driving

ive drove around with a multifunction knob and i can tell you first hand.. i was able to go through 10 discs and decide whatever song i wanted with my eyes on the road and using just one finger

very driver friendly

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2313
the only difference between the 880 and 780 is the dual EQ's, auto EQ and TA, face plates and screens. also the one knob deal vs 2.

i have the 880 and its great.

auto EQ and TA will just get you in the right ball park. its not really that good.

i've heard more people complain about the one knob deal then the older style 2 knobs. also, theres a remote.

screen is a personal preference kinda thing. i like the simple white OEL screen. looks very nice imo. i'm not for flashy stuff, i like performance.

dual EQ is for more complicated setups, not totally stupid or useless. each side of the car is different btw.

hooking up speakers sideways instead of external crososvers....wtf??

the main thing you need to look into before you buy is the controlls. i doubt you'd be dissapointed with either unit.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 141
so brandon.. you think that dual eq is ok for the left 6.5 and 6x9 and another eq for the right 6.5 and 6x9?

its only useful if you have one eq on the 6.5's and the other eq on the 6x9's

in chauncey's vehicle the reach for the second knob is enough to get into an accident

there is no way in hell that a two knob setup is less complicated then a one knob setup

really the smart buy is the 780 vs the 980
you have 16 bands.. find out what those band frequencies are and burn those test tones onto a cd.. you can proceed by ear or a cheap spl meter

either way its saving 100 bux and thats including buying an spl meter for $50

if you do it by ear thats a $150 saving
i havent read the online manual but there should be a simple way to measure how far each speaker is and put in the proper time alignment settings

i know my alpine doesnt have a distance number.. it has a decimal that is equivalent to a certain distance.. they have a mathmatical equation in the manual.. this plus this divided by this equals the setting your supposed to put in

brandon might have leather interior and that would sour the results of auto eq since the sound waves bounce around much more

i think ill just save some money and do my eq with a spl meter taped to the head rest lol

ill start with the eq totally flat and listen to all 16 bands.. the frequency that is the lowest will be my starting point.. measure how loud it is and then turn the rest of the bands down until they are the same as the first one

whala..

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2324
well, if you have the 880, i think you'd know better then to be running 6x9's to begin with.

also, you don't have to slpit the EQ's, you can match them. so thats not really in issue.

you play sweeps and adjust while watching an RTA to properly adjust an EQ. some people have the ear for that stuff though and can get it pretty accurate by ear. thats gotta be nice.

if theres too much reach in the car then sure, a one knob setup can be easier i guess. i didn't say anything about that other then i've just heard more people complaining about the one knob setup then the ond style 2 knob setup. nothing about reaching across any particular vehicle. the remote comes in handy that too btw.

the 880 is pretty much the same price as the 780 online btw. and you can d-load a spectrum analyzer which will hold the peaks to adjust the EQ. get a $15 mic with a decient frequency responce, d-load a analyzer, get ahold of your buddy's lap top and a test tome CD, or d-load off of ROE. you don't adjust an EQ with a SPL meter. they won't even respond to the full audio spectrum.

for TA, find a tape measure.

the results of pioneer's Auto EQ and TA are all over the place. not very accurate at all. best way is to find a tape measure and adjust EQ's like i stated above. not worth spending any extra money for imo.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 143
thanks brandon for informing us that the auto eq sucks

but your method is way off.. if you only have 16 bands on your eq.. you gotta attack those bands
it would take forever using a sweep

just get some test tones and use the same frequency that the eq has

i already told you how to do it correctly above

get a radio shack spl meter

and this thing on ebay for the radio shack spl meter goes from 20hz to 16khz

thats plenty wide

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Noise-CD-for-Radio-Shack-SPL-Meter_W0QQitemZ7420120397Q QcategoryZ3278QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us