Full excursion from half power?

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 274
i was admiring my arsenal today and i noticed it was pushin pretty nicely. when i was looking at it it looked like it was putting out close to an inch of excursion peak to peak. then i looked at my specs for it and it says Xmax is 20.5mm. i have a 400w rms sony amp pushing it and it is pretty much at full excursion.

do i need to upgrade my amp to something more powerful or ami i getting almost all i can get out of this amp?

what will a audiobahn 8000t do that my sony doesn't? (beside build quality)

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 973
The difference between 400-500 watts may not be audible as it would also not be visible.

The difference between your current Sony 400 watt amp and Audiobahns 8001DT would definetly make a difference.

There are other better amps out there, but they also cost more too.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2299
the box can have a lot to do with it too. putting it in too large a box will let it reach full excursion with less power. i think ported will have the same effect, but not sure. kinda like running free air. if you push the RMS rating to a sub in free air, you will blow it.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5932
the smaller the sealed enclosure the more power it will take for your speaker to reach x max. The larger you go the more the sub starts to act as a free air application so it takes much less power to reach full excursion in a larger sealed box. In ported you will not reach full excursion ever unless you lack a SS filter and you play the sub below tuning of the enclosure and it loses control and thats how you damage subs in a ported enclosure.

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 278
my 15" is in a 4 cu ft box slot port tuned to 28hz, will a a8000t blow it our over excurt it?

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 846
if u play any freq...lower thna 28hz....it will over excurt....SS filter-subsonic filter blocks freqs below whut u set it 2

Username: Boobhead

Post Number: 4
yep exactly. SS filter would help.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 932
James hit the nail on the head!

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 287
what about if i built a huge ported box, it would still never reach x max?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 340
you usually have to double your power to get +3 db

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 979
Troy,

Boxes and/or any type of enclosure arround a speaker will produce a certain amount of resistant presure against the cone.

This pressure will also change the way the cone behaves and how it will reproduce air waves.

Because the air pressure changes, the suspension of the driver also changes and stiffens or loosens depending on the air pressure of the enclosure.

So,

If you have a 1 cf ported box with a port of say 3" wide by 6" long it will have a certain air pressure.

Now,

If you put the same woofer in a 15 cf ported box with a port 20" wide by 1" long, it will have a different air pressure compared to the other narrower and longer port.

No doubt, this will also change the tunning frequency.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us