4 12's sound same as 2 12's

Username: Mash4kash

Post Number: 3
I have 4 audiobahn flame q 12's. I only had 2 hooked up and it banged. Common sense 4 12's supposed to be double the bang than 2 12's because 4 12's is more cone area than 2 12's right. So I finally put the other 2 that weren't hooked up and got 4 12's playin but the 4 12's sound just like 2 12's even tho they're all hittin. I had 2 12's on a 1200 watt RMS @ 1 ohm amp and the other 2 12's on a 1200 watt RMS @ 1 ohm amp. Why the hell does 4 12's sound the same as 2 12's in my ride?

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1551
how do you have the situated? You are probably cancelling each other out

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1552
how do you have the situated? You are probably cancelling each other out

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 117
you might have reached the limit in the cargo area or the trunk area.. just like a bad box for a sub

if your cabin area is all wrong it might have no affect.. just a lil more detail

on the other hand.. it can have a dramatic affect and seem 4x better

just stuffin the cabin area thats already full wont have much affect
unless you start playin with the wind inside the car.. which is why you see typhoon setups (twisted subs)
to try to circulate the air and get more output out of it rather then just dull air that sits pressurized

Silver Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 108
like young james told you, you probaly have problem with cancellation, what car do you have and how do you have your box position? it should be a big difference from 2 subs to 4 subs of the same model.

Post Number: 4
I have a 1995 Chevy Impala SS and I have a quad box that's 54 inches wide 1 box for 4 12's n its right in the back of the lic. plate and tail lights. The rest of the cargo area is taken up by amps, cap, and optima battery.

Post Number: 5
I don't understand what you mean young james, by cancelling each other out?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1557
do you mean you have one box that fits 4? and it's right across the back of the trunk? Do you have it firing towards the back or towards inside the car?

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 283
well no matter what the sound isnt gonna double, you might get 3 or 4 Dbs

common rule says if you double the cone area and the power you add 3Dbs

btw 10 Dbs is audibly double the sound

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5927
"common rule says if you double the cone area and the power you add 3Dbs "

double the power = 3db's
double the surface area= 3 db's

in your case where you are adding 2 more subs that would be roughly 6db's and double the power is another 3db's so yes it should be audibly double as loud with 4 instead of 2. Now it sounds like you have cancelation issue's but without looking at it I can't tell you that, try to rearrange your box see if that makes a difference. The other thing that is causeing a problem I would bet is you prob have a stock alternator right? your alt can only put out so much power and I would bet that the 1200 watt amp is already maxing out your alt so the other 1200 watts isnt really getting 1200 watts more like 600/piece. Your alt doesnt just produce as much power as you need it has a limit.

Post Number: 6
I have it firing towards the back of the car. Stock alternator is 140 amps each 1200 watt amp has 3 30 fuses so thats 180 amps total plus 1 30 fuse on the highs/mids thats 210 amps total and my alternator is 140 amps. I also have 2 optima yellow top batteries. 1 under hood and 1 in trunk.

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 504
You must remember that your car accomodates for the usage of at least 100-115 amps that your alt puts out. Besides chances are, your not gettin the 140 amps at idle anyways; more like at 200 rpm...

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5933
exactly^ your alt prob pushes out 80 amps at idle so you do the math.

Post Number: 7
so I do need a bigger alternator? Doesn't 2 optima yellow top batteries make a difference? or did I waste my money on optima batteries? If I upgrade the alternator how much amps does it have to be?

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1098
btw - doubling the subs is 3dB, not 6dB. Doubling the power is another 3 dB. So if you double the subs, and double the power, THEN it's +6dB. :-)

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 121
adding batteries is useless because they dont hold a charge of 14.4 volts!

if you wanna run your entire system at 12v its gonna be sounded like half a system.. especially cause runnin at 12v quickly drops into the 11v range.. and thats far far away from 14.4

the difference of 11v to 13.4 is seriously audible.. its definetely enough to make 4 subs sound like 2

make sure your positives and negatives are hooked up correctly and get a bigger alternator

your gonna want 200-225amp with a cap
or 250amps without a cap

Post Number: 8
once I get the bigger alternator should I keep the 2 optima batteries or sell them? You said they're useless right so I wasted me money on it then?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3084
KEEEP THEM, with the HO, it will be something LOVELY!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8044
yep good idea !^^^^^^^^^^.......

Silver Member
Username: Talon_es93

Post Number: 234
S.A.L.B.... i Fn love your car.. thats the best body style anybody can ever make ur car is beutiful.. thats strate mobster sh!t.. sry but its my dream car..what u pay for it?

Post Number: 9
ok what difference will it make if I put the HO alternator on with 2 optima yellowtop batteries than without 2 optima yellowtop batteries?

Post Number: 10
yeah its my dream car too I got it off ebay black 1995 Impala SS on 22" foose spank 5 chrome rims. Corvette LT1 5.7 350 Small block. Paid 9,800 on ebay came with 4 kole 12's in quad box and 2 kicker 600's for subs and 1 kicker 300 for highs/mids, 2 kole 1.5 farad caps. But the dumbass driver didn't lock the door and while transporting the car to me some dopehead went in the car n stole the whole stereo system it came with. So when I got the car I put in 4 audiobahn flame q 12's thats 96.4 db sesitivity per 12 and 2 audiobahn 1200 watt amps and 2 optima yellow top batteries.

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 486
wait all in all isn't adding a woofer (12") only going to add 3db, so then adding 2 will only add 6 db. but then if his electical compontents can't handle it its almost cutting the power in half so then its really just adding woofers BUT keeping the power the same?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
my cousin said something might be going on in my wires what yall think? again will there be a difference between a HO alternator with 2 optima deep cycle batteries than with a HO alternator without 2 optima deep cycle batteries?

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 124
i dont know if it would stabilize the current or not

i know if you could find something that would allow you to wire the battery in series (that bumps up the volts to 24) and use an add on toy that keeps it at 14v instead of 24
that would help a load..

and a cap for those nanosecond fluctuations

between those two.. youd have a rock solid electrical system

no variations in volts is easier on everything

even regulated power supplies have to think once the volts go below the regulated amount

kinda like too much processor load for one program.. it makes the rest of the computer run funny

that fluctuation kills batteries alternators light bulbs power transformers engine computers

possibly engine sensors and spark plug coil

with serious fluctuation goin on.. how does the engine computer read sensors that give electronic signals correctly if they are short on volts before they send the signal?

stable.. the more the merry

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 363
i love it when people say "only like 6db's"....

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 854
S.l.A.B. post pics of ur Slab....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
DurangoMan a member of this forum and there are few pages online here and there are saying there's an alternative way around an HO alternator and adding a 2nd battery. They say all you have to do is uprade the "Big 3" wires.

Silver Member
Username: Talon_es93

Post Number: 235
damn you stold that car man.. pretty cheap.. most 96 ss don't go lower then 16,000.. i'd be happy with just a 64 impala not ss

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 129
do you wanna run your system at 13.4 volts or 11 volts?

thats the choice between ho alternator and 2nd battery

even if you wire one battery in series.. its still gotta be a special battery that charges faster then normal.. otherwise its gonna make the alternator dragass

the whole system would dragass too

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 539
Maxx, when you say only 6dB its alot, BUT i mean its nothing to get exited over UNLESS your plannin on going into comps right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us