Voice coil short

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 112
i had a short in my old school infinity sub

when i took it apart i noticed on the bottom of the coil there was lots of abrasion.. soo much infact that it started to break the copper strands.. they didnt unwind or nothin.. they just dont make a complete wire anymore

so why does my coil have a small patch of abrasion?

my guess is because i was pushing the motor past its linear limits and once the coil went past its xmax it started to wiggle

i think some ferrofluid in/on my coil would have lubed it up good so that wouldnt have happened

maybe its a good idea to add ferrofluid to lube the coil so your subs last the abuse

what do you think?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8028
a VC is not like a piston in ur engine , it operates by a magnetic field so no need 2 lube anything imo ......

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 119
well your wrong

when your pushin the coil to the point where it almost pops out.. you best have some ferrofluid in there to keep the coil from rubbin away like mine did

i cant see why your reply with this rubbish anyway

yes i know how a speaker works.. and i also know its simple logic that anything that moves creates friction.. friction creates wear and heat
if you take a razer and cut a couple spindles that wrap around the voice coil.. it wont work anymore

same thing applys when you give the side excessive abrasion until the first layer of wrap is rubbed away.. which causes the coil to short

speakers dont move in a magnet totally linear.. especially when you are pumping the speaker hard

its a little extra performance with less worry

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2301
or just not pushing it so hard might have prevented it too.

the VC doesn't touch anything. if it does, theres something wrong. the heat it creates is from cutting through a magnetic field and from the electrical power itself, not from friction due to the coil rubbing against something. if it does that, you have bigger problems.

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 464
hey don't just on rovin like that!!! you don't need to lube anything because if you did YOU'D SEE I NEED TO GET SOME LUBE for a sub thread in here but you don't you only see them for like engins and other personal stuff

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8036
thanx ! ^^^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid

i would think if ferro fluid was necessary in that sub the manufacturer would have themselves put it in during the manufacturing process so y even bother thinking about it ...

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 449
Hey believe, I can help you, I just made a fresh batch of fluid from some old vhs tapes. Ill let you buy some for your subs. $148.57 per fluid oz. let me know where to send it.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 120
brandon:
the word linear - a straight line

shaine: your 16.. and i am just

rovin: the manufacturer doesnt recommend pushin the sub past its linear limits.. i did and found abrasion that could of been lathered to prevent further distruction

marc: your a reject

anybody else wanna argue fact?

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 814
if a manufacturer thinks that it would help, they would do it, because they know people will push there subs and they want to make durable product, usually anyway. Im sure your not the first to think of lubrcating the moving parts on a sub, yet, oddly, none of the companies do, so ill bet someones tried it and seen that its better without. Besides, i wouldnt want to lube anything with a current anyways for the sake of a short.

dont ask for help and then put peoples opinions down when you get it

and based on your last post, ill bet that youll have some smartass little comment for me soon. Don't bother, i wont waste any more time by reading it

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3076
The fluid would help, to be honest.. :-) I think its a matter of cost to the manufacturers... It can be a good sheild to protect from extra heat to the coils... HEAT KILS

"They are used in loudspeakers to sink heat between the voice coil and the magnet assembly, and to passively damp the movement of the cone. They reside in what would normally be the air gap around the voice coil, held in place by the speaker's magnet."

If u did your own recone, and had access to some, then it would be a good idea.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 123
terry: i didnt ask for help!

if you took a wholesale lot of real old cerwin vegas from the 90's..

i bet most of them had ferrofluid in the coils added by their car show enthusiastic owners

i got a pair of mtx subs that have seen massive use.. they got ferrofluid in them

those speakers are 14 years old!

and for the most common use of ferrofluid.. that would be what b stated above.. to get rid of the heat... thats safe.. and safe is totally recommended ;p

i guess i should be thankful i didnt tear a surround or pop the coil out

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 479
um believe im 17 not 16... THE WHOLE POINT IS YOU DONT' NEED LUBE ON THE VC! you don't need to diss everyone that said something on this thread, your the reject along with Brandon

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 117
My only question is why is Believe asking questions to which he already thinks he has the answers. Hey Believe, change your user name to question, cause you dont believe anything. Hey I have a question Believe" Does sh!t stink?",stuff some up your nose and tell us the anwser.LOL

Silver Member
Username: Kaos13

Post Number: 107
i would lube it like B said. imo

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 125
well if half of you are gonna act like high school bail bond rats.. curfew is up soon

i asked what yall thought.. im not dissin people

im dissin thoughts

shaine: tell that to my other identical model sub that sees the same abuse

the first thing i said in this thread 'in short'

my subwoofers voice coil was rubbin the side and it ruined it.. if i woulda put some ferrofluid in before it got ruined it wouldnt have happened

and here comes a long train runnin of ppl tellin me that the facts are wrong

i think we need to start a ')dont believe them for sh!t(' board

some of yall got checks lol

im not sayin yall suck cause your scared to take your sub apart to put some ferrofluid in it

i dont suggest you do that at all
if you take it apart and cant put it back together your sub needs to be repaired by someone else.. that means your gonna have to drive with no sub for a day

cant have that

because dustcaps nowadays are so funky to take off.. dont test it on a cheap woofer and try it on an expensive woofer

your results wont be the same

i will say.. small dustcaps are easier then big dustcaps that take up the whole cone

removing the dustcap is all you have to do when applying ferrofluid

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 365
i think your sub just sucked. buy a sub made within this decade and you might not run into so many problems. you are a d-bag.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 816
i knew i said i wouldnt be back but i stumbled on to this and i couldnt help it

"so why does my coil have a small patch of abrasion?"

"what do you think??

those look like questions to me, questions seeking answers..... ansering questions is help. lol. moron.

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 515
^^ agreed, if you are so all knowing why ask for advice? do this on your own if yoru going to say we are wrong because your subs suck and couldn't handle the watts you were given them, its yoru subs fault not the lak of lube

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3648

quote:

my subwoofers voice coil was rubbin the side and it ruined it.. if i woulda put some ferrofluid in before it got ruined it wouldnt have happened

you are delaying the inevitable.
if the VC is rubbing....then the motor is not aligned right...and will need to be fixed.

Lubing the parts that are rubbing, that shouldn't be rubbing is only a temp solution.:-)

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 521
nicely put muddy!

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 1054
Ecoustics has went to hell!!!jk

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 126
terry: your english has no structure
if i would wrote it like..
'so why does my coil have a small patch of abrasion..?'
that would imply sarcasm with the answer shortly below

maxx: whats wrong with the 1999 era of subs?

audioholic: im still human

muddy waters: the abrasion is at the very bottom of the coil.. im almost certain it was trying to pop out (the surround probably wasnt long enough to allow it)

could be an uneven surround too

tj: hi

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 505
Holy sh*T way to much fu*kin drama goin on in here

but so i can add more drama here we go "yay"

Look believe i dunno what your thinking. Its not that we have a problem with debating on this fourm, but look back on your posts. You've talked sh*t to everyone and your answering people with a negitive attitude and snide remarks. It's best for you to reply with i think it could cause blah blah blah... well your wrong.. and i cant see why you reply with this rubbish anyway....

i see where your going with your points... but these points wouldnt be coming up if there wasnt a problem with your subwoofers in the first place...

i agree with muddy... but since you say your VC had an abrassion at one certin point in the VC... you could have had your subwoofer in a poorly built box. you could have some clipping problems going on within your system.. your amp could be setup wrong, yada yada yada your VC wouldnt be compleatly exiting the Motor structure or tapping the bottom of the frame if the sub was not excurting in the first place

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
opps ment to put over excurting in there sorry still not awake

Silver Member

Post Number: 507
dam i screwed my post up bad...

i ment to say this

It's best for you to reply with i think it could cause blah blah blah...INSTEAD OF well your wrong.. and i cant see why you reply with this rubbish anyway....

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 127
there is no i think it could

i know..

im talking about a fact

and im laughin at ppls thoughts when they say its anything other then a fact

you cant turn fact into fiction

and you can only turn fact into an experiment when you add your own variables

its my story.. my variables.. my fact

i am negative toward wrong answers.. so!
it thrives me to move ppl to correct answers

i already said im not dissing ppl.. im dissin their thoughts... dont come over here tellin me you can point my finger better then i can

when i asked what ppl thought.. there was room for two things

yes.. implying they know fact

no.. implying they dont know fact

this is a help forum.. get your facts straight

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 237
believe....you are a dum*bA*ss. jemone was right. why ARE you asking a question about it, if you already know the answer? and it seems that you already know the answer to everything, so why even post it, and then act like a dou*che to everyone?

Silver Member

Post Number: 508
wow... your a douche bag

so your right and were wrong...

even if you might be wrong....

and we might be right....

your still right and were wrong...

ehh screw this newb...

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 128
just face it.. you got pranked!

its adult humor

kinda like letting somebody tell you a story thats a total lie..

you already know the truth (but you ask anyway) and you just let them keep tellin the story until they dig themself a big hole they cant get out of

the fun part is asking questions to make them lie more

lol

if you still think im a d@ck.. grow up

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 533
don't need to grow up, because thats a very dumb "prank" your the one that needs to grow up, you realized that you were TOTALY wrong and have you cover some how... DUMB A$S

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 131
now comes the train of idiots that are sore losers

you gotta have armor to have fun by yourself

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1121
Wazzzzzup peeps?????? I just woke up and its fu*kin hot in here like 100degreez! LOL

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 536
in new mex? 100 degrees? lol yesterday here in PHX we got up to 112 LOL!!!!

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1125
lol ya no its only like 90-96 maybe but it fu*kin feels hot cuz our airconditioning just broke. Lol i heard a couple dayz ago u guyz where on like a heat stroke warning or wutever cuz it got so hot?

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 541
thats basically how it is everyday... i mean i visit other stats and they have warnings at like 95 and im like wow... we wish for that tempeture during the summer LOL

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 809
The only place I have seen ferrofluids used is in tweeters and small midrange drivers. These drivers don't have/need alot of xmax. THus they can not cool them selves as effectively as a woofer with a vented pole piece. Also, the gap between the pole piece, the VC, and the Magnet is much smaller then what is seen in a woofer/subwoofer. This is where ferrofluids are designed to work. They transfer heat from the VC to the pole piece/magnet, and in some cases help dampen/align the VC.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 818
Sorry professor believe, I was not aware that i was being graded on my ecoustics fourm paper. I shall retain proper gramtical writing style from here after...

If I were you, i would't try to play the smart card untill you know who you are talking with.

Besides, I don't have to prove that I am smart, my 4.0 college GPA does that for me, but nice try.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 465
Hey believe, Im making another load of thermo fluid. Its a bit hard to get it out right now, but reading your posts inspires me. ahhh here it is, ready to slide into your subs.

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 132
that college gpa is only good for 2yrs after graduation

nick: those 14 yr old subs dont have a vented pole piece other then a cloth dust cap.. so it was quite beneficial

terry: teachers dont retain intelligence.. they just pour it on slower for ppl who dont comprehend as fast

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 819
yea, im still im college, and your right, teachers arent smart, especially not the doctors.....(sarcasm)

may i ask, how old are you? where did you go to school? and where is your bases for trying to act smarter than i am? trying to compinsate something small with a big ego???

face it, your drowning, everything you say make everyone respect you even less. if i were you i would just quit now

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 133
what is your bases for thinking that i am trying to 'act' smarter then you?

if you got an issue punk.. raise your hand and see who the teacher calls on first

my egotistical @ss was often the one who was going from person to person teaching other students in class.. whether it was my firm grasp on the subject or my social skills.. i helped teach what i learnt

respect means nothing to facts.. and thats what i started with

jealousy is real.. if you would take the effort you make to disrespect me and apply it to your school work you would have a higher gpa to throw in my face

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 384
nothing is wrong with them, just if youd had it for so long you shouldnt be so surprised it died out on you and lube is just rediculous sounds to me like you got your moneys worth

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 134
100 bux for the pair.. they played 4 times over

the only thing i didnt get my moneys worth out of is the alpine radio.. ive ran it hard but nothin abnormal.. time delay is a must have feature now.. i guess i have that to thank

it feels like i paid 150$ extra for the time delay.. and its not worth that much
i got some extra features for the extra money i paid for it but it boils down to not impressed

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 820
its summer, and i have a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale, it doesnt get any higher.

and im sure you have excelent social skills, thats why you are on a computer all day....

no mention of you age or school yet either....

you keep setting yourself up like a bowling pin, begging me to knock you down, just give it up.

i have been more jealous of chimps than i am of you

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 821
and you said "learnt"...... that really docks any smart points you might of had

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 771
damn u guys are arguing over gpa....lmao...were's the love.....

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 822
^^^ hahaha

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 135
your at a school that doesnt show extra credit on the grading scale?

thats somethin to think about when picking a school

that whole bowling pin thing truly shows your fantasizing about me

thats grade A schizophrenic stalker material

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 823
name a school that does....

i got the bowling pin thing from the pic i found, it was of your mom shoving a pin up your ashole

still no age, or school....

Bronze Member
Username: Jcash

Post Number: 57
DO NOT FUEL THE TROLL!!!! this is quite possibly the most stupidest thread ever with the stupidest people all in ONE THREAD...........

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 136
so

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 772
bro believe and terry u guys need to chill....make up...say ur sorry....both of u

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 824
its all in good fun. i just like to argue, besides, it ups my post count

but you have to admit, the bowling pin pic is pretty funny, just imagine it....sick, but funny

Silver Member

Illinois

Post Number: 137
i cant even stomach a woman with a hole that big

and they have a hole that your supposed to stick stuff in

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 985
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/231090.html

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 466
This post is like the speacial Olimpics ,, Even if you win, your still Retatarded

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7449
Upload

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 825
anyone seen the ringer? its SOOOO funny......yea, i work at movie gallery...

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 1151
Ya that moviez pretty tight.......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us