Are amps supposed to...

Silver Member
Username: Paps

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 109
...get REALLY hot after like only 10mins of playing music? the gain is only set about 2/5 of the way, not even halfway. the amp gets really hot. is there anything i can do to keep it cooler longer. i dont want to fry the amp so im usually running the gain all the way down now... :-(

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7364
yeah, amps get real hot...

just make sure u have everything wired right, and ur independence is not to low

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 347
My class A/B get real hot, like to hot to touch.

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 110
ah ok, thanks guys, this is my first system ever, so im kinda new to all this. i didnt know if this was normal or not, thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 381
if ur amp is gettin super hot thats not go0d u better wire ur ohms higher not lower or ur gonin 2 fry ur amp

Silver Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 105
you wrote:
the gain is only set about 2/5 of the way, not even halfway.

this is not the best way to set your gain. Gain is not a volume knob like you think it is, it's for matching your HU voltage with the Amp. do a searh on how to set your gain properly.

maybe you have a HU that have a higher preamp voltage output?

yes, check your independence is not to low.

what sub and how many you have? single voice coil or dual voice coil?

what Amp do you have?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 349
im running the amp at 4 ohms. its the eD NINe.2x

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 995
if you have a class A/B like Mr. Kebo it's naturally going to get hot becuase of their very low efficiency. Class A/B is is only about 50% efficient, meaning the other 50% of the power that is wasted is givin off as heat. There are older Orion amps that get so hot they will like sear you if you touch them, but that is how they operate and it is perfectly normal.

I figure if it is a newer amp, it will have a some kind of protection if it is getting too hot and shut off by itself. I wouldn't worry unless it is doing that. But it still is a good idea to make sure that you have everything hooked up right too.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3632
My USA 4300x amp gets very hot after a while of play......but it has never shut off.

Class A/b's get hotter b/c of their efficiency issues.:-)

Just make sure you run the A/C on full blast when playing your music.:-O lol

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 998
"Class A/b's get hotter b/c of their efficiency issues."

Thanks Muddy, I just said that you turd! LOL, JK.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 796
If you are really worried then you can add cooling fans. Heat acctually causes a decrease in efficiency. Metal loses conductivity as it heats up. After running your system hard for a while your lose a db or 2 due to this. THis also applies to power cable. the hotter they get the less current they can carry.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1105
make sure theres alot of room for the amp to breath...dont hide it under your box where theres no airflow. like muddy said just aim your air vents towards it

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 797
Or get a 12volt fan from radio shack. cheap as he11. My amp is no where near and AC vents. If your is in your trunk there def. aren't any AC vents.

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 111
i have 2 10" cvx powered by a eD NINe.1 yea i try and do what u said muddy lol. except i only turn on the a/c mode that blows air through the bottom vents near the pedals and stuff. heres a pic of how my setup kinda is. the yellow thing underneath the seat is the amp. the 2 subs are underneath the rear seat of my truck (dodge ram quad cab) and the blue lines are the direction of the a/c airflow, but the thing is that all that cold air hardly reaches the amp to have an effect whatsover, but i still turn it on for some reason...lol

Upload

and oh yea, its never gone into protect mode so thats why im still not TOO worried, but it still gets really hot. I live in Arizona so the outside temps are usually ~105+ and it gets even hotter inside the car (like ~140?) so it really never has a chance to cooldown :-(

what about putting a bag of dry ice on top of it lol? would that help? i have one of those little blue fabric pouches u get from a doctor when you hurt urself and u put dryice inside it so it coolsdown the swelling. what if i lay that on top of the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4018
you shouldn't worry too much about it. my amps get pretty warm after some use. its only natural. if it bothers you that much then try to find a more open space in your car to mount the amp.

i don't know why but that pictures just makes me crack up so much. no offensed man. its a nice drawing.

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 113
dont be hatin' cuz you dont have microsoft painting skillz like me... nah j/k lol, i drew it real quick just to show you guys. but yea im not too worried now after hearing from you guys. as long as my protect light dont turn on, im happy :-)

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 120
How is that NINe.1/CVX combo? whats your box tuned to? I've always wanted a NINe.1, but I'm think I'm gonna go with a 2500D... Those CVX have good spl?

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Don't mean to steal your thread in any way :P

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 119
my box is sealed and its not very big, not sure how many cuft it is, but it was so small i had to add a 3in higher ring where the subs slide in cuz the back of the magnet would hit the bottom of the box. the magnets on the cvx are huge. but even with such a small box and sealed, it still bangs pretty hard. you can feel the bass in your chest when it gets low and some guy that works over at little caesars with me said he "felt" like he was getting a massage (sp?) as i was rolling by. :-) hopefully later on ill build a bigger box and ill port it, then ill be bangin' even harder... :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Wow...
sounds pretty impressive, thanks

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 120
heres a vid from some guy in real of excursion with the same setup as me, except this guy has a ported box. http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Kicker/compvx.1.wmv

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 121
err... realm***
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us