Is it my Amp?

Username: Dguillory

Post Number: 1
I am a new member and saw your message on the Alpine 9855. I just replaced an Eclipse 8445 with the 9855. I have been an alpine lover and couldn't wait to get back. They have features I cant do without. Anyway, I am concerned that I may be sacrificing killer sound I got from Eclipse. Here is the deal: I cannot get the volume I want out of the alpine. It seems to peak at 20 and then does not go up through to 30. When I hit 32-35 is when I here it go up. I get the same thing when I put the gain up a bit on the amp but with distortion. Also, I have to have the sub amp up to at least half before I get good sound. Now with the eclipse, I could run all gain down and crank up the head unit to the 70's (80 max). The sound was awesome. I didn't think I would loose all of that going from 8v to 4v pre-outs. My amps are a db drive A490 90x4 rms @4ohm (4 infinity 5x7 reference) and an Autotek ss390, 350X1 bridged at 4ohm.(sub) JL Audio 10W1V2. Any insight you can give would be appreciated.
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Goatin

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1277
If your Pre outs are lower now your gain should be set lower also for best overall results and to reduce chance of clipping to your subs.

Username: Dguillory

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. So if the gain ends up all the way down and and the volume is still not where i want it, does that mean I do not have enough amp power on both? What are your thoughts on the other part about the Alpine Volume control?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us