Still having voltage problems...

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 103
I just finished installing my HO alternator from the group buy... 300 amps. I also changed the fuse in my power wire to 300 amps (0 gauge wire), and I have upgraded the big three with 0 gauge wiring. I have 3 amps, and when the fuse sizes are added together the total amps of the fuses in the amplifiers is 150 amps.
However, I still do not stay above or even at 14.4v after playing my system (after driving for about 30 min with it on, in idle with the system off is was at 14.27...). I checked all the grounds and the big three, and everything seems to be in order. I also have a 5 farad capacitor in the trunk by the amps, which is where I am taking my voltage readings from (the reading at idle after playing the system 14.27).
Any suggestions to help my voltage?
I was hoping that the voltage dips (in idle when playing the system) would stop after I got the HO alternator in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
sorry to tack on another question but at idle the system is at about 14v even... this was when I had the system on and turned up to the point that my head hurt... anyways is 14v an acceptable permanent voltage while the car is in idle? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 305
if you have 14 volts at idle with your system up then that is good. the reason you may be getting 14.27 not 14.4v is because your measureing the voltage off the power the cap is getting not off the battery

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1081
That - or sometimes heat can cause this. It's your hot voltage, as your alternator wont be as efficient when it's very hot. 14v at idle with your system on is fantastic. You have nothing to worry about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
thanks... I was just expecting like 15 or something rediculous like that... but its solid at 14 with the system cranked at idle so I guess I shouldnt complain... check out my updated system in the bragging area...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us