Car Speakers

Username: Cmase

Unionville, MO United States

Post Number: 4
I have an 03' grand am, wanting to put some back speakers in. the size is 6x8. looking to spend around 150-250. and would component speakers sound better? I want some good bass.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2144
use 5x7 and your not going to have the smae bassy response with aftermarket as you have with the factory...

Username: Cmase

Unionville, MO United States

Post Number: 6
what about 6x9

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 406
I like the polk db 6x9. But, Go to a shop and listen to some speakers. Buy what sounds best to you.

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 76
I have an '04 Grand Am and I put 6x9 Alpine Type S speakers in mine and they sound decent but the front speakers are much more important in my opinion and I run Polk DB 5.25s up there. Two questions/comments; I had the Monsoon system in my car and the rear speakers are dual input, 2Ohm so there's more to it than just swapping them out with new ones and most of the time you loose bass rather than gain it unless you're planning on amping them. Not sure if all the Grand Am's were that way or just the models with the Monsoon system. The second issue is it's almost always best to replace the front speakers before the rears as that's where you'll make the most impact on the overall sound. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just giving you my 2 cents. I'd HIGHLY reccomend checking out theGrand Am Owners Club Forum audio section. That's a great resource for all things Grand Am and that's where I got all the information for my install, I'm DFizzle on that board. Check the car audio FAQ on that site and do a search or two and if you still can't find what you're looking for go ahead and post and the folks on there will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7315
nice, my nephew has a Grand Am. that we are currently hooking up...Thanx for the link

Bronze Member

Vermont

Post Number: 80
No problem Chauncey, there's a ton of great info on that site, especially in the FAQ sections and a lot of the people on there really know what they're talking about.

Username: Maddcbl

Middlesex County, New Jersey US

Post Number: 5
i have a pair of earthquake 6x9s that are 3 way in my cherokee and they are bassy, sound great and theyre real loud too. they can handle more power than they claim. i got 250 rms going to each one. theyre hard to find and not too expensive. think i got mine for about a c-note

Username: Dasdabizzatch

Houston, TX

Post Number: 1
Hey, I'm currently running around town with my rear panel speakers blown. I believe the highs still work but theres a crackle whenever i hit bass. Can anyone link me to a site with free information on how to disconnect the woofers?
2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 147
Jeff, unless you have aftermarket components in the back, there's no way to disconnect just the "woofer" since coax speakers don't have seperate drivers. If you blew a speaker it's time for new ones or just unhook them all together which you can probably do by just going into the trunk and unhooking the wires from underneath.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us