OT: Stupid question but I gotta know.

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 157
Over the past few weeks, weve had storms like every other day. I was just woundering as I was driving down a empty country road last night with my music crankin and lighting all around. Do subs increase your chances of getting hit by lighting? I know its a stupid question but im just curious.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 968
Cars can't get hit by lightning because they are grounded by rubber tires, so rest easy bro. :-)

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 158
Well i know for a fact they can get hit by lighting I found this on a .gov website "Your vehicle and its electronics may be damaged if hit by lightning."

Silver Member
Username: Sweatyogre

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 112
Yes vehicles can be hit by lightning, but you don't get harmed. They're also not grounded by the rubber tires, tires are insulators.

If your vehicle gets hit by lightning the electricity will be dispersed into the ground by travelling through the chassis and then jumping due to it's extremely high power.

Subs won't affect your chance to get hit.

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 178
Well after some thought on this I would think the magnets on a speaker would actually increase chances of it happening, but I'm no scientist here, so don't take me seriously. And I do remember a video of a storm chasing van getting hit right on the antenna.

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 159
I guess im less worried about me and more worried about my system, i know the chance of getting hit are slim but latly theres been like nonstop lightning around here and it just poped into my head, what if my car got hit? would my system be fried?

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 181
Well its obviously going to strike from the outside. It must go through your engine and power wire in order to reach your amp, which has a fuse(s) in it, so I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about except blowing the crap out of the fuse(s). I dont think the power wires could harness that amount of electricity either... but like I stated above, I'm no scientist

Silver Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 109
In the news about a year ago they showed an old lady was driving on the freeway when lightning struck the front of the cargoing up thru the windshield nothing happened to her but she was shaken up and she dint even have a system lol.

Silver Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 807
U fu*kin lier tweaker!! LOL im jk wut up man!!??

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7256
well, i no somebody who's car was hit by lightning and he got 2nd degree burns, it cracked his windshield, blew all his tires, and ruined all his electrics in his car.....

Also u guys do relize that u have GAS in ur car, and that could catch on fire and blow u up.....Thats why i try not to drive while its lightning out.....

Bronze Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 90
I think if your car got hit by lightning your system might be one of your lesser worries. But if it can mess up your existing electronics Im sure it can mess up aftermarket electronic stuff. But i highly doubt that you would be blown up by your gas becasue gas its self doesnt blow up its when its mixed with oxygen it blows up and its real hard to get the combustable mix right. either way it would suck

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 810
Tel em chauncey, tel em.

U know da answer 2 my ? bout port displacement?

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 311
Ok I will chime in here, very interesting if nothing else. Here is some stuff I found on starryskies.com:

Are you really safe in your car during a storm? I once heard of a woman who hated and feared storms so much that every time it stormed she would make her husband get into the car and drive her around until the storm was over! Generally you are safe in your car. The rubber tires provide some shielding but it is the metal body of the car (which provides a safe path to ground for the lightning) which provides the real safety. This does not mean your car cannot be struck by lightning however, and it is a terrifying event. A car in Des Moines Iowa was struck directly by a bolt of lightning. The car stopped dead, its electrical systems fried. The occupants were uninjured, but the car had small holes in its body, the tires went flat and there was a yard wide crater beneath the car! Traveling in your car during a storm is still not wise and you should not do so unless necessary. I had a friend who worked for the telephone company and who was on duty during a severe storm. The lightning posed no direct threat this time, but he was killed from a falling tree.

And from Tafkam.com freakin weirdo Do not, in any circumstances, listen to Rap or Hip Hop music when in a storm.

This type of music really pi**es off the Gods and you will be hit directly through the magnets of the sub na woofers which through you are listening. The Gods know Crap and they will spare you if you listen to 80's hair bands or more modern Metal. Just ask Judas Priest, Rob Halford has been hit by lightning over 80 times and although G*y as a San Franciscan schoolboy, he remains alive to this day.

Wow the things you can find on Google. Freakin amazin!!

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2974
the lightning will take the path of least resistance to the 'ground'.

lightning is created when negativly charged particles in the air build up and form an attaction for possitivly charged particles on the ground. if you car happens to be in the path of this field, then you stand a chance of getting struck (my neighbor got struck in his logging truck a few years ago).

water + electrolites = conductive medium

also, as Chauncey said...your electrical system in your car can get smoked :-)

Silver Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 110
lol f u ck you tj . sup lol. yeah i forgot to add her tires were flat too and her car was all fucked up. what causes the tires to go flat anyways ist it force of the strike?

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 816
Tweaker- "what causes the tires to go flat anyways ist it force of the strike?"

TJ- maybe.

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 186
You didn't mean like pushing the car down (like a boulder was dropped on it) and popping the tires did you?

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 188
Oh yeah, and

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 97
sub magnet vs flux capacitor

i think 1 kilowatt of power goin through a sub is enough to have an affect on the lightning in the event of being actually struck

interesting.. on a 12 volt system with an exhaust putting out roughly 50 volts in a small energy field

so where does my theory go

that 50 volt exhaust could be considered capacitence instead of resistance.. and in essence of flow.. resistance being discharge

but capacitence because the 50 volts was a bolt on and not a true root power

an algorithm with no variable in existance
and since theres no termination in a defined end state.. rather dissipation in the defined end state

i would have to say that with the lack of termination at the end state... variously defined as it be.. would push instead of suck

anyway.. i need some meat after taht brain storm

oh btw..

i blew a sub watching a lightning storm
best way for them to go!

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1043
you can say fucked now? Odd. I cant even post the name of my car.. it's a forbidden word..

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Madeupname

Post Number: 221
fucked? wow

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 835
lol Seth.
FUCKED!!

Username: Peterstv

Gainesville, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 8
Rubber is an inductor. Rubber has a certain amount of inductance. Lightning's amperage is a lot greater than the inductance of rubber tires. Just because you have rubber tires does not mean that you are safe from all electricity. You are only safe from electricity that does not exceed the inductance level of the rubber tires. Also, I was told that tires are made out of a synthetic material now. I don't know if that is true or not, but if it is, this synthetic material may not even be an inductor at all! As far as the subs attracting lightning goes, the actual metal material of the sub always has a chance of being truck, all metal does. But having them on wouldn't increase your chances of being struck.

--Ted Peters Jr.
--Peters TV and Electronics

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Perris, California USA

Post Number: 1546
fucked

Gold Member

Perris, California USA

Post Number: 1547
holy sh1t it did work!!!!!

Gold Member

Perris, California USA

Post Number: 1548
but u cant say sh!t....duuummmm

Silver Member
Username: Panocha

Post Number: 183
yeah i always put my seatbelt on when i see a cop lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us