Is there a way I can test my subs to see if they have ever been cliped?

Gold Member
Username: Goatin

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1216
Is there a way I can test my subs to see if they have ever been cliped because I am getting a better amp soon, then I'm saveing up for my Alternator And with all this extra power hittin my subs and I dont want to blow them.

Thanks,

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 166
Well as long as your not overpowering them by too much (depends on the sub and how much power though) you'll be fine. The alternator will only help the amp put out the power it says it does cleanly, nothing more. I don't think theres a way to tell if they've been clipped or not, besides like checking if your vc's damaged at all...

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1067
Actually clipping happens when the subs are being underpowered, not overpowered. The amp tries to do to much and cant keep up so it sends out a cliped or distorted signal.

Gold Member
Username: Goatin

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1226
I know that jake.lol
Thats why I was wondering, because I still have a stock electrical system. :-(

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3044
not really away to tell if they were clipped... u can measure the resistance of both coils to see if they are close to each other.. if 1 is FAR off, then u have a problem with that coil... it may still play however..
u can always take it apart, and visually check the coil, to see if its burnt or such...

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 978
Couldn't the subs be clipped when they are being overpowered as well though? I thought that clipping is when the sub is fed distortion, the amp being pushed past its limit. It could do that regardless the sub it over or underpowered right?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3620
the ONLY way an amplifier will clip a signal to the sub is fi is doesn't have enough current to amplify the signal properly, then it clips it and sends DC current to the sub.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3621
Distortion is not necessarily clipping..

BUT you will hear distortion when the sub is being fed a clipped signal....unless it is very minor.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1084
You can clip a subwoofer with incorrect gain settings, even with ample DC current to the amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3626
same difference. lol

even if the gains are set correctly(matched to the HU) and your car doesn't have an ample charging system....it will clip.:-)

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3072
yepp! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us