Great/hard hitting mids

Bronze Member
Username: Blkwardog

Post Number: 57
hey i was wondering wut kinda speakers i should look at to get sum great mids for rear speakers if i had cdt hd's up front and was goin to hav an amp that could b putn 180-200 rms to the mids
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 215
Just mids or mids+highs?
How much money you got for it?
BTW, why do you want rear speakers? Maybe you should simply get some beasts for the front?

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 831
ar you keeping the HD's or not?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2400
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/adire_extre mis/index.shtml

Bronze Member
Username: Blkwardog

Post Number: 58
yeah il have a pair of hd-62's in the front and im lookn for an upgrade in rear speakers and i like alotta midbass so im lookn for that. price for a pair could prolly get up to 300 or so for a good set and it could be 2-way as long as it stil hit hard in the mids

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 833
well one thing I have found is that time aligning the front stage with the sub will dramatically help with the midbass not so much as getting more midbass but that the midbass is helped along with the emphasis from the sub hitting at the correct time with the front stage. but if you are looking to add some speakers in the rear I suggest some Tang Band 6.5 or some EF-8s( if you can fit) and have them play only up to the point where the speaker naturally loses its omnidirectionalness.

Username: Mvw2

Post Number: 7
^ditto

...if your HU has TA capabilities.

Also, I find TA between the left and right speakers can bring out presence as well.

I assume your doors are addequately deadened and the speakers are secured solidly to the door and that they're adequately powered. If not, these are the first steps.

Tang Band and Elemental Designs offers some pretty cheap options for those seeking affordable midbass/light subwoofer duties.

Outside of a pure subwoofer design, the Extremis is the most low end capable, I'll use the word full-range lightly, speaker I'm aware of. As well, the Seas L & P18RNX woofers offer solid midbass performance, better full range capability/less midbass capability.

As well, the larger driver you go with, the easier you can get midbass, so if an 8" can be squeezed in, go for it. Most subwoofers, even full-sized ones, can play well up to 500Hz or so. There's even a couple that can play higher, well suited for a home 3-way system(12", 3", 1") but offers a very interesting automotive option.

As was said, if you don't want the sound stage to be pulled towards the back, keep the crossover point low, only up to around 80-100Hz. Otherwise, you'll begin to notice the audio coming specifically from the rear and your staging will be compromized. If you wanted to run higher, make a spot for them up front somewhere.

Time Alignment is fun, as is crossover capabilities. If your HU doesn't have such features, you may consider purchasing an upgrade. This isn't a must, but these features are nice to have, especially when you're considering more complex multi-speaker systems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us