How to Set up an amp??

Bronze Member
Username: Aman2005

Post Number: 88
Hello everyone. As I am a newbie in car audio, I want to know that how to power up an amp to power up the subs. I mean how to setup an amp in the car. Do anyone know in detail? From opening the amp from the box to powering up the music system? SO I can do it myself without any ahrm to either car or my music system?
Also want to know if I put two batteries in car to power a bigger amp, how the load on alternator will be lesser?

Username: Dandandan

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 2
omg im 12 and i know how to hook up amps to cars to power up subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
then y the hell u don't tell me???

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 818
ok well here's a start:

#1: discounnect battery connections so you don't fry yourself or some other electrical equipment

#2: find a place to run your power wire from the battery to wherever you decided to put an amp. You will need to find a place at the firewall to run the power wire through or drill a hole and use a grommet.

#3: While you're running your power wire you may as well go ahead and connect your fuse holder somewhere up close to where the battery is and before the wire goes through the firewall.

#4: Next you will need to run a remote wire from the radio(its typically a solid blue wire from the HU or any wire that gets its signal once the car is turned to ACC or ON). But run a wire from that wire all the way to the back to where your amp is.

#5: While you're behind your radio if you're using RCAs run the RCAs also. Don't put the RCAs running along near the power wire. Run it on the opposite side of the car.

#6: So now you're at the trunk or wherever your amp is. You will need to find a good grounding spot so look behind your trunk carpet for a factory grounding spot and ground the black wire there.

***If you are wiring multiple amps and using a distribution block, you'll have the wire coming from the battery go into the distro block and then you'll be able to run multiple wires off the block to different amps.

#7: At the amp you know have 3 wires( positive, ground, remote) Wires these up to the amp. Wire in your speakers and RCAs also.

#8: Now you can go back up to the battery and reconnect the wires.

#9: I would make sure all the gains and everything is at 0 on the amp(s) and turn on your radio, then adjust the gains appropiately.

I think that is everything, its kinda hard to write it down cause its pretty much a no brainer for me since i've done it so much so its kinda hard to actually put it on a post, but I think thats it someone else can add on if I forgot something.

Username: Gosmosis

Post Number: 3
alteraudiousa - you seem very helpful. Please note my post from earlier about problems I had with amp/sub sound. amp/sub work properly while receiver is in tuner mode, but once mode is switched to CD - then green light on amp goes dark and no bass.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Thanx you sir, I find you the most helpful man on this forum. Thanx for your kind help.
Gosmosis, can you please refer me to the post of yours where you stated your problems?
Thanx again Mr. Alteraudiousa

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 819
Gosmosis, that sounds like a with the HU. I can't even think of a reason the amp would lose power from switching to CD. What kind of radio is it?

Post Number: 4
Original post was under R E Moore name.
What is an HU? And it is a brand new sony... model CDX-RA700. Pretty nice, though I would not have purchased this one. Too many odd controls that are hard to see.

Thanks for any info.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
I couldnt found one. Can I know thread name please?

Post Number: 5
New amp/sub installation

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 125
hey, just so everyone knows, an amp will cut off when you change to cd if the remote wire is hooked up to the power antenna wire of the HU. because the cd player doesnt use the antenna. Try hooking up the remote to another wire that is live when the ignition is on ACC or ON. or if you can, do like I did. I hooked the remote up to the fuse that runs the radio...I also installed a toggle switch inside my console between the seats, and ran the wire from the fuse, to the switch then out of the switch to the amp...that way I can turn the radio on without turning on the amp....I don't want all that BASS when I am listening to rock music....anyway maybe one of those ideas could help

Post Number: 6
I bet that is it, though I didn't install this system.

couple questions.
1. What is the remote wire? another name for power wire?
2. Again - what is HU?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1306
HU, is head unit (cd pplayer etc.)

is there a place on the back of the HU than tells u where to put the remote wire?? and wut are the grey wires that have pos and neg colors on them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
remote wire is NOT Power wire. Power wire goes from Battery to Amp with an inline fuse near the Battery. The remote wire turns the amp on and off when the radio is turned on and off...kind of like a remote control. If you hook up the remote to the battery, your amp will be on all the time, and kill your battery.
There is usually NOT a place on the back of the HU that says where the remote wire goes. As I said, I bypassed the HU, and ran my remote to the fuse that runs the radio.
Where are the grey wires you are talking about? On the back of the HU? If so, they are probably for powering the front or rear speakers.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1308
They are the Low level input RCA Jacks, but where do they go to? the back of the HU. if yes, does it say where to put them..?

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
hold on> Positive and Negative colors??? and bassman3, how can you tell they are RCA input jacks? I am totally confused about that part now

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1311
it says in my manual, that they are RCA Low level input jacks. its says "these inputs are fir signal cables from the HU or other processor." One has a reg tape like thing around it and the other has a black tape thing around.

the black is going to the terminals marked L (next to it) and the red is Where its marked R

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1313
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=eKo-K4

its the black wire...

does it go to the back of the HU, and does it say where on the back of the HU?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1314
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=eKo-K4

its the black wire...

and does it say where on the back of the HU?

Post Number: 7
OK - It's fixed. I found the remote wire (blue) on the amplifier and it WAS hooked up to the remote antenna wire. I then found a REAL amp remote wire, plugged into that and now all is OK.

thanks

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 823
typically the blue/white is antenna and solid blue is remote. But glad to hear you got it figured out. I just got done upgrading my Big 3 wires today and sadly enough, nothing happened, still get slight dimming so off to get another Optima for 25$!!!

Post Number: 8
Yep, the solid blue is remote and blue/white was antenna, just like you say. I was a bit intimidated by all this since the last equipment I installed was some Jensen 6x9 triax into my '72 cutlass 442 in 1980.

Things have certainly changed for the better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us