Ported or closed box?

Bronze Member
Username: Jinster

Post Number: 85
i was told that with ported in my acura rsx hatchback, i would be hearing the sub more than feeling it. but i've justread that with ported you get more loudness and with closed more 'punch'. i'd like to know if i would be sacrificing tight controlled bass with a ported, which box i would appericate more if i'm all about sq and nothing else, and if spending more money than the $20 boxes you get on ebay really makes difference- and if so, what box do you recommand? thx.

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 535
wut kinda subs do u have???

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3573
if you are all about SQ and nothing else....then def. go with sealed, don't even bother with ported. sealed enclosures offer the flattest freq. response.:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
i have dls mw110 w pheonix xenon gold 400.1 amp. but is it true that with sealed box i'd be getting more 'thumpy' sound? any paticular sub box that you recommand?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3579
the box will not peak out.....which means it will produce all freq. around the same level.

instead of 40hz being a lot louder than 35 if your box is tuned to 40:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
uhh im sorry but i mustve missed out on something here. what question are you answering to?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3590
thumpy???? what kind of word is that? lol

it will be punchy yes....it is a subwoofer....that is what they do.:-)

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2890
sealed will hit lower.. lower notes you will feel to your body more..
ported will hit low too, but to the port tuning, it will cut bellow that tuning.. but anything above will be way louder than sealed box..

sealed: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sld/
ported: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 817
also you may want to consider you hatchs natural cabin gain and acoustics of your vehicle. A sealed box can be more forgiving when it comes to the acoustics of the car and can give a more flat response. In a hatch also the subs are right there next to you output can be in your face.

A sealed box will be solid at all frequencies and even very low ones while the ported box will be more efficient above the tuning frequency but after that slopes off quite fast. Most try to port their boxes low. I prefer sealed boxes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
which pre-made sealed box should i get for my dls mw110 then? is the no brand stuff they sell for 20 on ebay really that different from 50 dollar ones on elementaldesign.com? and should i foam the inside once i get it? thx.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 499
Be advised that sealed doesn't always mean you'll get more "punch". I'm running sealed right now and my subs are lacking in the "punch". The boomy bass, especially from rap, is tremendous, but I'm lacking that hard-hitting bass when I listen to rock, alternative, etc. It's still strong bass, but not as hard-hitting as ported boxes I've ran/heard in the past. I'm actually thinking of getting two more subs just to put into a ported enclosure to switch out.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 218
Eric, GO SEALED:-)

You have got one of the best SQ subs on earth. DLS MW's have tested above IDQ's, Focal's and others (and I love IDQ's).
I looked at a Russian test of 8 different SQ subs, MW's were on the top. Russian SQ pro's take it down to the science of sound engineering, they know what they are talking about, those are the people that install systems for the super rich.

I have listened to one 12" MW (sealed) powered with ARC amp bridged, it was fantastic. BTW, that Russian test didn't even include mainstream crap (with foam surrounds:-)) like JL.

I used to have an Integra, hatcbacks are very efficient when it comes to bass, you don't need much power to have it loud.

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 219
And one more thing,

Your sound might be a little "thumpy" because of Xenon 400.1 mono block. For example PG Tantrum 500.2 bridged or a 2ch Xenon bridged would sound better. And here we go again with mono block vs 2ch bridged:-) Now some guys will be defending their mono blocks:-) All you have to do is try it both ways - mono block and 2ch bridged on the same sub and you will hear the difference. Once you hear it, you will never go back to a mono block, unless you want to listen to some rap crap thump:-)

And yes Muddy, that is exactly what it sounds like with a mono block - thumpy:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3602
Your Mom Is Thumpy:-)

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 223
So was your sister last night:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3603
Lmao!!! I don't even have a sister....only child.:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

This is kinda a pun on where you live right now but....have you seen Boondock Saints? :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us