Dual Alternators

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 145
So instead of buying a new HO alternator and replacing my stock one, couldn't I just buy one that produces less amps, keep the stock one, and have dual alts.? BTW I'm driving a 1997 Acura CL2.2, and will be running 1500rms with a Rockford Fosgate X7.A/C, so how many more amps would I need? Another question, whats up with these amps? Theres no specs to be found even on RF's site...

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1030
a dual alternator is another viable option, yes. But why not run them completely seperated, and have your stock one for your normal electronics, and get a HO one as your 2nd alternator? This is the most efficient way you could do things. :-) (well, one of the most)

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 149
Yeah, that does sound like a good idea. I would need another battery too I'm guessing...

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2897
I would run them seperate like Seth said, for your setup... (daily)
Have 1 to charge the cars electronics (factory)
and a 2nd HO alternator (200a) to run your entire system... Yes u will need brackets and another battery for that alternator to charge...

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 201
Ok, well according to the manual for the amp (RF X7.a) it recommends a 100a alternator for everyday driving and a 200a for competition use. I'm looking to spend as least as possible here, and I'm sure not going to be competing anytime soon here... so would it be alright if I get something less than 200a? If so whats the least I could get?

Bronze Member
Username: Excessiveamps

Dothan, Alabama Good Ol U.S....

Post Number: 95
You can go with a lower amperage alternator but the prices wont be much cheaper. You would be better spending the extra $20 or so for an additional 20+ amps .

Silver Member

Ny

Post Number: 213
Alright thanks Nate
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us