Personal Opinion's of Mainstream Car Audio (LONG)

Gold Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 1076
Ok, I have worked with the mainstream products (along with AA and RE) and just thought for those who are comparing them what to look for and avoid. I will be comparing Kicker, Sony, MTX, Infinity, Alpine, and Pioneer.

Kicker:
HU- This ones easy...
Amps- Very nice amplifiers, almost all are underrated and produce good clean power. All of the class D's have no problems with overheating and all of the AB's produce very clean power for the mids and highs. The amplifiers are stronger sounding than their competitors when placed side by side.
Subs-Kicker is a SPL (Sound Pressure Level, or loudness) based company. Their main subwoofers are the Solobaric series but the other subs are their best. The L5,L7, and Solo X over fairly deep sounding bass but with very little accuracy and tend to get sloppy under high power. If you like music besides rap (and even rap), then these subs are not for you. The other subs (Comp, CVR, and CVX) are not given enough credit in my opinion. The Comp's are nice sounding, clean, and accurate subs with a little kick to them. The CVR's have a nice SQL (or a mix of loudness and quality) and their CVX's rule the SPL side of the circle subs while maintaining very good SQ. I would recommend any of the round subs to someone in the market for a mid level subwoofer.
Speakers-This is where, in my opinion Kicker fell short of what they needed to achieve. Their speakers have a very different, unbalanced sound to them that I have still not been able to decide EXACTLY what needs to be changed. This is the same with their component speakers. Make sure that before you buy these, you listen to them in great lengths and compare them with other brands.

Sony:
HU- The Sony headunits offer a bunch of features, this is their strong suit. From auxiliary inputs in the front, to equalizers all on the just over $100 CD players, they are loaded with cool little features. Don't get fooled though thinking they are awesome. Their sound quality and power are unsatisfactory and tend to be poorly built. For someone who wants a cheap CD player to hook an Ipod up to or what not, a Sony unit should be considered. For anyone who wants a system, Sony should be avoided.
Amps- Sony amplifiers leave a ton to be desired, for a first system they are alright but unreliable and overrated. They are fairly clean sounding for such a cheap amp but it doesn't compare to a Kicker or MTX. Great for beginning systems, shouldn't be used one step after.
Subs- I personally owned an older model Sony and they do their job of shaking the car pretty well. The newer P5's have decent build quality as several of my friends still haven't blown (although they don't push them to hard). What the Sony's lack is a deep, accurate, musical bass, or what most people look for in subwoofers. Try to avoid if possible.
Speakers- Maybe a tad bit better than stock? If that? Maybe? Well, they tried didn't they?

MTX:
HU- Second easiest to Kicker...
Amps- MTX offers you a very good amplifier in comparison to many others on the market. If you are shopping for one, 3-4 year old amps are some of the best MTX has made. They are very clean, slightly underrated, and really push the subs well. The only downfall for MTX is their amps are pricey for the amount of power they put out. Only people with a big budget for an amplifier can afford these but when you can spend that much why not get a Crossfire, JL, or Orion?
Subs- This is one of the most controversial topics about MTX. Some people love their subs, some people hate them. Honestly, their subwoofers sound halfway decent, get fairly loud and fairly low. I would get them a 7 out of 10. I have never heard the 9500 but supposedly it is geared towards SPL. My friend has a pair of 4500's in an SUV and they hit hard with decent SQ but the accurateness and tightness of bass is the weakest part of the subwoofer. Decent subs, better out there, and worse out there. If you are an MTX fan or like the look of them try a pair...
Speakers- I never heard MTX speakers talked about but I really like them personally. Their coaxial have a nice crisp sound to them as well as their components. To compare them to other speakers, they sound very close to Infinity References. I would recommend these speakers fairly strongly for the price.

Infinity:
HU- God, yet another EASY one.
Amps- Overall Infinity amps are given a decent rating by me. They don't do a whole lot for me but at the same time aren't terrible. The power they produce seems to be a bit overrated by the sound they produce but that could be just me. I like their AB amps better than the class D amplifiers just because the AB compare to other products in the price-range whereas the class D are not quite as good as competitors.
Subs- I have heard JUST the references and have liked them quite a bit for being such an inexpensive sub. Sure, they aren't the best in the world but for the price you can hardly beat them. They are very accurate, clean hitting, and maintain good SQ while pumping out music at a decent volume. I have heard many people talking about how the Kappa Perfects have great SQ so I am going to take their word on this one. Thumbs up to Infinity for a lower-end SQ system.
Speakers- This is probably the strongest section for Infinity. Their Reference create a very nice, well balanced sound and can get very loud while maintaining great SQ. The Kappa's are a little brighter and crisper than the Reference and are on the borderline of sharp to some people. This is personally what I have in my car. They get very loud with their same SQ. At the 60rms apiece I am putting to the speakers, it is kind of neat after feeling bass drum notes with my subs to feel snare drum notes with the midbass. The Kappa Perfects are considered by some to be one of the best speakers money can buy. To others, they are sharper than a butchers knife. This is pure opinion and should be investigated before making a purchase. Overall, good job Infinity on your speakers.

Alpine:
HU- Alpine has been known for quite a while for producing very good HU's until recently. Some issues with discs have resulted in people avoiding Alpine CD players. The new F1 units are absolutely amazing though, if you have the money, go for it. Also, older model Alpine HU's are great and should be purchased if at all possible. If Alpine can return to producing their old style HU's, they will once again be at the top of the HU group.
Amps- Alpine amps and their "V-Power" phrase are all in all great amplifiers. Whether you are looking for a clean amp to power a set of components, or looking for an efficient amp to power subwoofers, Alpine has got it all. Awesome stuff, but just a tad overpriced...
Subs- Type E, Type S, Type R, Type X... which one is for me?!? Type E, lowest subwoofer, decent but not the greatest. Type S, a step up from the Type E, again, decent but not the greatest. Type R, the ultimate mix of SQ and SPL rivaling Kicker's CVR. Great sub for the price and for being a middle of the line subwoofer. Type X, mainly SQ sub with great power handling. Again, the product is great, but these can get a little pricey for not a whole lot of SPL...
Speakers- All I can say about these is they are very well rounded in the SQ department. Not to warm, or bright or anything. If you just want to hear the music without a bunch of crap, Alpine will work.

Pioneer:
HU- This is pioneer's strong suit. Pioneer is a leader in the CD player market because of good solid headunits with good clean power, excellent features, and a great build quality. I highly recommend these.
Amps- Better than Sony, but that isn't a compliment. Pioneer amps do their job decently but not much more.
Subs- Only heard a couple of these subwoofers and have never been fully impressed. They can get loud, but that is it.
Speakers- Pioneer offers a great coaxial for the price. If you can pick a pair of these up on the internet for cheap then go for it. Definitely not audiophile quality but for your normal everyday listener, they will work great.

Wow, that is long. There you all go, I tried my best and this was done late at night too :/

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 154
MTX subs hit realllllly hard and have great sq. Anything lower than the 8500s arent worth it though. The thunder 7500s and lower are not that great and they are all single voice. The 8500s and 9500s are dual coil and hit unbelievably hard. The 12" 9500 is supposed to be able to smash a jl w7 in competition.

I heard two 10" 8500s today and OMMMGGGG. They hit soooooo hard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1077
From all of the comparisons I have seen the JL 12W7 beats the 9500's.

Bronze Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 13
hey chris how loud compared to an L7 or and L5 is the CVX i was thinking of getting 2 12's

Gold Member

Post Number: 1078
Considering the power handling of the L7 is 750 I believe and the CVX is also 750. The L7 might beat it out JUST SLIGHTLY if that in SPL but it shouldn't be noticeable. 2 CVX's would be great, go for them.

Bronze Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 14
alright thanks alot

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 156
All the comparisons??? Actually the mtx 12" 9500 was made to beat the jl 12w7 in competition..

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 157
and the 12w7 is 750rms, and the mtx 12" 9500 is 1000 rms. soo.....

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7190
" Actually the mtx 12" 9500 was made to beat the jl 12w7 in competition"

But it doesnt........

"and the 12w7 is 750rms, and the mtx 12" 9500 is 1000 rms. soo"

Also the rms of each sub mean nothing, about performance........

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3531
this is a very good thread....especially for newcomers with questions about certain products.......this could definitely be made into a sticky.

Good Job Chris.:-)
i agree with you on everything except.......Sony doesn't have a strong suit....that is just their least crappiest component of car audio. haha:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3532
wtf............bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 1079
Thanks muddy. All I was saying about the Sony HU's is that if you are some old guy and want to plug an Ipod (old guys with ipods? LOL j/k) into their CD player easily Sony, and actually JVC are some of the few CHEAP stuff to offer that.

*Note- When I worked with Sony CD players a lot of them came back to us defective.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3544

quote:

Note- When I worked with Sony CD players a lot of them came back to us defective.

hmmm.....i wonder why? :-O lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1080
Ohh, muddy, kinda off topic. I am using eDead right now for my lancers trunk and it still rattles like a B. How does your dynamat extreme work?

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 159
I didnt say the rms had to do with the performance. IM saying that the mtx 9500 can withstand 1000 rms, before the coils burn up, and jl can get 750rms. Hence, the mtx can get louder. if the mtx is 1000, and the jl is 750, how could the mtx not get louder? and the sound quality i think is amazing for the mtx.

whatever, no one on here will ever admit anything. everyone on this site recommends all the car audio that isnt mainstream. anything else they diss. and im getting rid of my 2 cvrs because 2 mtx 10" thunder 8500 would rip them in half....... so i think im going to just get 1 15" 8500 in a sledgehammer box....

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 339
the 10" 9500 was made to beat the 10" 10w7. even on mtx's webs the 12 beats the 12 and if im not mistaken i THINK the 13.5 beats the 15"

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 160
imo, my friends 1 12" mtx 8500 at 500 rms, is louder than 2 12" cvrs ........both in ported box....so im getting rid of the cvrs as soon as possible. ive had a reallllly bad experience with them, and i think they suck.

just a fact: the magnet is smaller on my cvrs, then my friends subs who payed 120 at best buy for 2 of them and an amp. they are that insignia pack you can get. haha.

and no i dont want any responses like "magnet size doesnt have to do with performance."

thanks for calling me out too chauncey.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3546
it works very well.

i have a rattle somewhere under the bumper that is pissing me off though. haha

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 161
i cant tell if your agreeing with me or not maxx? haha

Gold Member

Post Number: 3547
RMS wattage on the VC does not determine how efficient the motor structure is.

just b/c sub A handles 1000wRMS and sub B handles 750wRMS does not mean sub A gets louder....b/c sub A could be very inefficient:-)

Magnet size does directly correlate with how much force it exerts on the motor. and what type of magnet....ferrite, neodymium, ceramic.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1081
EXACTLY MUDDY! What the hell is under our bumper that makes it louder.

And just to prove you all wrong about the 9500 crap.
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15791
Check that out.

(Ratings from that site)
Sealed ICIX Listening Tests Results & Placing :

1. JL Audio w7
2. Diamond Audio D9
3. Image Dynamics IDMAX
4. Orion H2
5. Kicker SOLOX12
6. MTX 9500

Vented ICIX Listening Tests Results & Placing :

1. JL Audio w7
2. TIE - Diamond Audio D9 / Image Dynamics IDMAX
3. Orion H2
4. SOLOX12
5. MTX 9500

Avg Output High Excursion Sealed SPL Awards :

1st : Kicker SOLOX 12
2nd : JL Audio w7
3rd : Image Dynamics IDMAX

Peak SPL High Excursion SPL Sealed Awards :

1st : JL Audio w7
2nd : Kicker SOLOX 12
3rd : [Tie] Diamond Audio D9 / Image Dynamics IDMAX

Avg Output High Excursion Vented SPL Awards :

1st : SOLOX12 : 132.75dB
2nd : JL Audio 12w7 : 128.68dB
3rd : Diamdon Audio D9 : 128.34dB

Peak SPL High Excursion SPL Vented Awards :

1st : SOLOX12 : 146dB @ 54Hz
2nd : MTX 9500 : 145.1 @ 46Hz
3rd : JL Audio w7 : 144.3 @ 55Hz

Peak SPL High Excursion SPL Sealed Awards :

1st : JL Audio w7
2nd : Kicker SOLOX 12
3rd : [Tie] Diamond Audio D9 / Image Dynamics IDMAX

Only once did 9500 come close to the rest.

Out of 6 subs here is what the 9500 ranked.
ICIX Sound 2005 Driver Test Ranking :
Avg. SPL Vented : 4th Place
Avg. SPL Sealed : 4th Place
Peak SPL Vented : 2nd Place
Peak SPL Sealed : 4th Place
Listening Session Sealed : 5th Place
Listening Session Vented : 5th Place

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1926
oh ya and "The thunder 7500s and lower are not that great and they are all single voice."
what the hell are you talking about i have 2 mtx 7500's sitting downstairs right now and they are dvc and why would it matter if it is svc or dvc it wouldnt it doesnt make it sound any better or get louder and the 7500 gets very loud and sounds pretty good while doing so there not bad and there amps arent exactly very expensive

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 162
they arent that great. i know someone who has 2 of them, and that cant even come close to the 8500s. your a dumbass. who said that voice coil makes the sound better or louder? i was just saying that there is not as many wiring options for svc. most 7500s are NOT dvc

Bronze Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 98
Steven Norris, the Thunder 7500 come both in SVC and DVC, and i doubt that you have heard those 7500's or heard them properly power and in the right enclosure. the MTX 7500's are one of MTX's most efficient subs, and i'm not talking about numbers on paper only, i'm talking about experience, i've heard almost every MTX's subs except the 8500's.
With the MTX 7500 series you'll get some great SPL with less watt, compare with those 9500 series. I'll prefer a sub that give me great SPL with less watt, compare with a subs that need a lot of power to give me the same spl, and those 7500's does go low, it depends almost always on the install to get a good sound.

and charlie is right, it doesn't matter if it is svc or dvc to sound better and louder.

Bronze Member
Username: Gangstaplayer

Gangstaville chicago

Post Number: 99
i got an alpine hu and it has been very good had it for like 2 years not one single problem powerfullass lazer too

Gold Member

Post Number: 1082
Bump, this took a long time to do, wouldn't like to see it go to waste.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1083
^

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2265
bump again , check it out guys

Gold Member

Post Number: 3551

quote:

EXACTLY MUDDY! What the hell is under our bumper that makes it louder.

i have no idea....but it is very well hidden. lol

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 484
i think the noise under the bumper could be the muffler... the muffler mounts... i notice that the mufflers just sit on a rubber padding..... and it's caused issues with all my vehicles ive ever owned... the oly idea i have for you :-)

ima keep muh mouth shut on the MTX war though

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 172
ARUMAN - IF the forum wasnt freezing yesterday i would have told you this. I heard the 7500s a few days ago at an mtx dealer. They played 2 12" 7500s off of an amp powering close to 1000rms. plenty of power. In the middle of the song, he switched it to 1 12" 8500. The 8500 was a lot louder. I could feel it right away. I am positive about this. The guy there agreed with me who was there, and said "yeah it definantly sounds a lot louder". I could feel the 8500 in my chest 10 ft. away, and it just made me smile. I know what im talking about.

quote* -or heard them properly power and in the right enclosure-

actually the subs i was just takling about were all in the sledgehammer boxes. I am positive on this, and if you dont believe or if anyone doesnt believe me, go to a store that is an mtx dealer, and see for yourself. I am not making this up. Think what you want. But dont start saying im wrong until you go listen to what i was talking about up there^^^^^^^, and then get back to me. and no i dont care if the 2 7500s have twice the area, than the 1 8500.

quote* -and charlie is right, it doesn't matter if it is svc or dvc to sound better and louder. -

Read what i put before saying the same old sh*it. when did anyone say anything about sounding better or being louder. I was just talking about wiring options.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1815
"Hence, the mtx can get louder. if the mtx is 1000, and the jl is 750, how could the mtx not get louder?"
LOL, the install has a lot more to due with how loud the subs is, like my 1 15inch AA atlas sealed on 200wrms, gets just as loud as my friends 12inch cvr ported with 400wrms, thats possible by haveing a higher efficaincey,and better motor design.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 174
well go check the specs of the mtx vs. the jl. mtx.com has the real specs.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 175
imo. cvrs suck. thats why. and arsenals are cheaply made subs. everyone just buys them because they are on a low budget, and because everyone on this forum recommends them. And then they think they are the best subs ever, because they are not mainstream in any way.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 176
Once arsenals and kickers and half the brands recommended on this site go mainstream, everyone will stop buying them from this forum. Hey guys, stay away from mainstream as much as possible. Heehe. yeah. sounds cool. ill jump on this bandwagon. That guys a fu*kin gold member, so he knows what hes talking about. OK, ill listen to him. Jump on the bandwagon.

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 343
yeah i like mtx over JL any day. but.... i did just buy an 15" arsenal to replace my 2-12" cvr's, so i will have to dissagree with you on that one.

Bronze Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 99
Steven i can't say bad thing about the 8500's series, because like i said, i've never heard them. But when i went to my dealer to buy 4 12" of those 8500 series because of the amp that i have, my MTX dealer told me not to go with the 8500's but go with the 7500's because they will hit harder than 8500's because they are more efficient (easy to get loud with less power), when he told me that i was confused, so i went to different webiste asking question and talking with different MTX dealers and people who have experience with all mtx's subs and they all told me the same to go with the 7500's. now i have 4 12" 7500 seal box and i'm very happy with them.
Why do you think they name the 8500's series the Jackhammer series? because they don't sell much, why do you think there's not even one video clip of the 8500's on realm of excursion? strange doesn't it? yes you was wrong but about the svc and dvc, because the 7500's does come in both svc and dvc check this out http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/thunder7500.cfm

Steven wrote:
"well go check the specs of the mtx vs. the jl. mtx.com has the real specs."

That's BS that's on paper, MTX use to let their sub looks better and JL the bad, like on of those guys here said before, why have MTX do such of things, why just let the subs speaks for themselves?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3556

quote:

Once arsenals and kickers and half the brands recommended on this site go mainstream, everyone will stop buying them from this forum. Hey guys, stay away from mainstream as much as possible. Heehe. yeah. sounds cool. ill jump on this bandwagon. That guys a fu*kin gold member, so he knows what hes talking about. OK, ill listen to him. Jump on the bandwagon.

you need to calm down.
people buy AA b/c they are well-made subs...and there is no middle man or hype to drive the price up......duh.

People should stay away from mainstream b/c it is MASS PRODUCED GARBAGE:-)
when you want to sell more.....you have to make more....faster....so you have to cut corners.:-)

btw....Kicker is mainstream:-)
and post count is an irrelevant number, but it does reflect how much you are exposed to this site with people's questions and answers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3557
i realize that not all mainstream is garbage.
so don't try that dead end.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3568
bump....hehe

wtf does a 1000wRMS rated VC have to do with getting louder than a 750wRMS rated VC amyway????? all subs have diff. efficiency.

my sub is rated at 500wRMS and will take close to 1200wRMS with no problems.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1929
steven-"they arent that great. i know someone who has 2 of them, and that cant even come close to the 8500s. your a dumbass. who said that voice coil makes the sound better or louder? i was just saying that there is not as many wiring options for svc. most 7500s are NOT dvc"

me-"oh ya and "The thunder 7500s and lower are not that great and they are all single voice."
what the hell are you talking about i have 2 mtx 7500's sitting downstairs right now and they are dvc and why would it matter if it is svc or dvc it wouldnt it doesnt make it sound any better or get louder and the 7500 gets very loud and sounds pretty good while doing so there not bad and there amps arent exactly very expensive"

okay where did i ever say that you stated about them sounding better if they are dvc or svc i didn't okayso i was only saying that because you said they suck and they only come in svc what would be the diffrence even if they did its still easy to wire who cares and ya i never said anything about them being great but your making them sound like the worst subs out there and if you think that i believe they are amazing then why do i have them sitting in my basement while i have my dd 9512 in my car and dont call me a dumbass you think you know everything about car audio all of a sudden just calm it down a little other wise people on here are gonna hate you for stupid comments.

and ya with muddy's coment above my sub is rated at oh about 1500 but will take oh lets say about 5krms so yea that has nothing to do with anything

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 181
who cares if people hate me. Haha. everyone on here is at least 300 miles away from where i live. Also, i could just start a new member name and no one would have a damn clue. I wasnt trying to say they were bad subs. They just dont compare to the 8500s, and if your going to spend that much money on mtx, then just go with the 8500s. and Shut the hell up. dont act like you know more about car audio than everyone on here. 95% of the people here dont know anything. They here stuff from people and then say there stupid opinions about things, without even coming into contact with whatever they are talking about. most of the people here probably have never even heard an arsenal, or seen one in real life, but recommend them to everyone whos on a budget for a sub.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1930
"dont act like you know more about car audio than everyone on here"

okay buddy thats you if you've ever looked at any of my posts i have never said anything to that fact and do you know why because I dont know as much as a lot of people and i say that i dont care but i probably still know more than your sorry a## and if i dont then if i run into a problem I can just ask someone that wil no because i know who knows more then me and the 8500s are a waste of money if i was going to buy mtx again i would still go with either the 7500 or the 9500 but then again if was gonna spend that much i would have gotten some jl oh wait a second are they mainstream enough for you

Gold Member

Post Number: 3591
if you don't like it here then GTFO.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1088
Steven. I have arsenals. I have had RE's. I have heard assassins. I worked at circuit city and heard MTX, Kicker, Alpine, Sony, Infinity, Pioneer, Eclipse and Fosgate stuff along with a couple other random crap subs. I am not just making this stuff up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1091
^

Silver Member
Username: Ishkabobble55

Erie, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 284
actually if you go to www.mtx.com and do the comparison thing the w7 beats the 9500 in every size except the 10", and besides they are not taking into account the install, the car, the actual power, they are just taking the stats and making them into percentages that dont mean crap. i think its all personal opinion what kind of sounds you like comin from your audio components. its like food, one person may like tomatos while another person dispises them. personal taste
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us