My subs sound like sh*it

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 122
AGain for the 50th time, i have 2 12 Cvrs. dual ported box 38hz. 1.8 cubic feet per chamber.

My subs sound like sh*it. They dont sound good at all. The sq is horrible when i turn it up loud. I think its not my box, its something is wrong. Can anyone name some possiblities that could affect my sq on my subs like this.....

Gold Member
Username: Goatin

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1127
Thats because you have them setup for SPL.

Build a smaller box ported @ ~35hz or less for more SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 610
uh duh. jk tune about 32hz or 33hz or 35hz.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 125
i dont know if its just cause the box is 38. they sound too bad even for that high. im not sure what im going to do. i know the kicker cvrs call for a ported box at least 1.75 cubic feet though.

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 611
yup i had my box tuned to like 40hz for a while and didnt like it so tuned it lower and i like it 500% more.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1229
i have mine tuned to 32 and it sounds great.

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 612
me too bassman i have 1 tuned to 32hz and 1 tuned to 35hz im gonna change the 35hz to 32hz pretty soon though cuz i really enjoy songs like late night tip.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 126
how can i take a box tuned to 38 hz, and make it more like 32 hz.....i definantly want to try it.
Also: i bought this box...it says 38 hz...i dont even know if thats true...the box could be more like 42 or something....it says computer tuned though......

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-PORTED-3-4-MDF-SUB-ENCLOSURE-SUBWOOFER-BOX_W0QQitemZ 9702400512QQcategoryZ14945QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7968
if ur box is a prefab generic thing then do expect it 2 sound sh!tty .......

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 940
^^agreed

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1543
dont buy prefab boxes...

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 365
i made my friend a box for 2 12 cvrs an it sounds great if u got room make this kinda box 13hx40wx24d tuned @ 24hz with a 2inch slot port sounds great

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 621
can you tune a box that low for a couple of cvr's?

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 127
is there any way i can adjust my box, and make it better???

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 188
Next time use sealed:-)
Less pain, way more SQ:-)

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 128
what if im going for a low tuned ported...like a 32?

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 189
I guess you could give it a shot, however, I like my bass nice and tight. Ported is more like if you wanted to run lower power and loud. If you go sealed, you have to give it plenty of power. Sealed is just so much easier, who cares about extra 3db if ported, not me:-)

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 129
extra 3db would mean twice as loud...
what subs and amp are you running anyways??

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 130
extra 3db would mean twice as loud...
what subs and amp are you running anyways??

Silver Member

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 192
Right now I am not running crap, but the last thing I ran was 1 x 10W6V2 (which is junk BTW), powered by Tantrum 500.2. The funny thing is - before then I ran a couple of cheap RF 12" SVC, I had paid $50 for both (Soundwaves sale), powered by the same Tantrum AND they sounded more accurate than the W6V2 no sh!t. People would get in my Integra and ask - man what kind of subs you got. Even when I showed it off to Soundwaves guys, they could not believe that those cheap RF's could sound like that. Yeah BTW, in general, I don't like RF.

Yeah and for example, these subs right here will outperform W6V2 in SQ, like if it were made by Jensen:-)

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3068

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 733
Upload

I doubt that very much.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3036
yeah i wouldnt say that statement.... as for his box making the cvrs sound bad. they should sound THAT bad anyways. it could be a problem before then. maybe clipping fomr the HU or the amp. if you put them in a sealed box and they still have a problem, its definetly somehting else, which i think may be the case.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 131
its not clipping. unless is was coming form my reallly shi*tty HU for some reason. The hu is kenwood 2V with barely ANY settings. its a pos, but now im getting this clarion which retails for $480 and its 4v.....and its also 10 times better than the HU i have now. but i did have the amp set to 2V .........

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 636
Hey stevo its ur box man i know it is.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 132
what should i do? i bought the box for 100 dollars because i didnt want to go through the process of building one and making the port because it would be a hassle getting the tools and parts. so i bought this box hoping it would work. Anyways...how can i tune the box down to around 32hz (the box on the link)? got any good sites or instuctions?

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 735
You would have to increase the port length inside, and that would be a sloppy fix.

That box in the picture doesn't look very bad though, so I don't think it is the box, unless there are visual deformities or damage. Kickers will sound pretty bad even at their best though... But they do get loud.

It is tuned to 38 Hz which is pretty high and will never sound very good, so you could try getting a new box. If it was me I would build a new one myself, or sell the subs with the box on ebay, and get some quality equipment.

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 639
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp
Is a very good site if ur gonna build one.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 736
Another thought, you said "sounds horrible when I turn it up loud", that is usually a problem with your electrical system or your amp. If you don't have enough power on tap to feed your amp, it will sound stressed and distorted as you increase the volume. If it sounds OK and increases in volume nice and smoothly up to a certain point, and then stops getting louder and starts sounding distorted, it is probably an indication of your amp not being powerful enough for that volume level, or your electrical system can't deliver enough to the amp.

If it sounds bad at low volumes, then it is probably your box or some other factor than what I mentioned above.

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 640
If i was you id just sell that box, use the site i put on there and build one urself tuned to 32hz.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 136
Im not sure if its my box or subs. maybe its the fact that my cheapppp Kenwood HU sucks. or maybe that my trunk lid rattles reallly bad on the inside, or my fuse isnt big enough?

i just got some edead sound deadner for my trunk.

Im getting a WAYYYYY better HU in a few days.

I only have a 60a Fuse, but i need an 80a.

could any of these be at fault for BADD sq?

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 644
A SQ problem could be from ur HU but i think its just that you have ur box tuned to high if u want more SQ. How much is edead and where are u buying it from??

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 742
Your fuse is a 60 amp for a reason, do not put in a larger fuse.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 140
how would it be 60 for a reason. fuse holders and fuses didnt come with the amp! its 60 amp because i put one in too small, because i havent recieved my fuse and fuse holder yet through the mail. Trust me, the amp is 800 rms. i need at least an 80a

Bronze Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 59
if it hits low enough for you.. just stuff the box with polyfill

if its not getting low enough.. stuff it with polyfill and turn the subs facing inside the box so the magnets are outside

dont be cheap and use just one bag

try two or three in each side

if you cant get sound quality after trying all that.. you have a distortion problem

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 141
tj, how did you tune your box from 40 (or whatever it was) down to 32, and 35?

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 142
believe - would putting that in my box on both sides be similar to having the same box, just tuned lower than 38? when i bought the box, it seemed like it would work awesome. theres also the other factors i listed though..

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 60
if you put polyfill in and put the magnets inside it will play 4% deeper if you listen to it
and it will sound a lot better as far as sq

now if its still not low enough.. you have to put the magnets outside the box.. that is the same thing as retuning the box.. your putting more room in the box because the magnets are outside

but if you put the magnets on the outside you need to put even more polyfill in.. im talkin double up on it.. that way you will keep the sound quality you got when you first added polyfill

the two things to listen for are

1. it plays lower

2. the bass stops faster when a note is done
kinda like less echo in the box

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 143
ya i might try to get some that. should i go ebay or where to u suggest i get it from?

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 61
whatever is cheap

fabric store.. walmart

no more then 3 bux a bag

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 62
maybe you can find a big 10lb bag for under five bux?

try to get a whole bunch in one bag for really cheap.. if you cant find a big bag then just go with the small bags

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 645
I first built that box on the kicker manual "the spl/deep bass series" enclosure the port was 3" wide and 20.5 long all i did was shrink the port side to like 1.75 inches wide and i forgot how long. I uses that site i posted above and its great.

In a few minutes im gonna build 2 small sealed enclosures for my cvrs.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 144
believe - wont i also need to get some sort of grill over the ports, to keep the stuff in the box???

also, do u know if my fuse being a 60 instead of an 80 can be distorting my amp? my subs sound good at low volume too.......

Silver Member

NM

Post Number: 647
Usually the poly doesnt come out of the box cuz your supposed to stuff it and it all holds together.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 63
you shouldnt need a grill for the port.. just dont put a bunch of pinches by the beginning of the port.. put nice big globs of fill in that area.. no small loose stuff that you can blow with your mouth

if you wanna take some duct tape and make a circle.. double side some of the good size globs to the inside of the box so they cant blow out
(take one side of tape and connect it to the other.. then just press it on)

if that fuse doesnt blow at mid volume then its not too small

the size of the fuse doesnt matter.. if you put a bigger fuse in the amp it will allow the amp to distort more! and then it will be broken with smoke coming out about an hour later

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 145
i read that polyfill is only useful for smaller boxes, and you use it to compensate for it. cause it tricks your subs into thinking that they are in a bigger box......i dotn think my box is very small at all.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 64
they are tryin to teach you abc's

it makes the subs play lower

it reduces the stop time / echo in the box

doesnt matter if your subwoofer is in a gun cabinet or a refridgerator

its still gonna do that to it

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 146
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/133393.html

glasswolf knows what he is talking about

but ya, i might try it even though my box is kind of larger.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us