How do you know if your system is too much for your alternator?

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbskc

Post Number: 12
Is there a way to test your alternator?

I really don't want to fry it!

Peace,
Hobbs

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 911
Well what kind of RMS power are you talking about? It really depends on the car too. Some of the older hondas only had alternators that were big enough to handle what was in the car leaving like less than 20A for extra power, which is not much. In most cases though you should be able to hook up a 600-800 watt RMS amp and be ok.

You can always test too. Just hook everything up and start turning it up. If your headlights/interior lights start to dim on deeper bass notes at higher volumes you know you are pushing it too much.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7953
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html ......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Okay...Thanks for the input and the link.

I will test tonight.

If the lights do dim, should I get a cap first and see if that helps or should I just go for the upgraded alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Mrmikelazott

Independence, Oregon

Post Number: 120
NO CAP!!! dont waste your money. just go straight for the ho alternator

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Okay...that's what I thought.

I really don't want to spend $200.00+ on a new alternator though. I hope the lights don't dim! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Mrmikelazott

Independence, Oregon

Post Number: 121
haha. yeah. replacing an alternator can be b.itch. but depending on what you got you'll probably need it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I just hooked up new system yesterday.

Got a new Kenwood HU.

A pair of JL Audio 12w6. DVC 6 ohms (Older model; bought them used)

And a weak Rockford Fosgate 601s 1800.
It says it puts out 600 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms.

The JL's sound good, but I know, with the right amp, they could really pound.
Don't get me wrong, they pound, but could get louder.

With that said, if I keep it hooked up with this way, I don't think I will be drawing to much power.

Does my thinking sound correct?

Bronze Member
Username: Radzer0

Post Number: 37
You would do better getting a optima 2nd battery before a cap. If you still have dimming with a 2nd battery you can add a cap. I dont say there useless and a waste of money but the 2nd battery is the first thing you should do :-)

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 101
it really makes no sense buying a second battery because the battery is not supplying any power, only the alternator can actually "make Power". So the first thing you should really do is buy a better alternator. The 2nd battery and CAP, if you bought it, would just be another load that would kill your alternator in the long run.

It really sucks when your alternator dies when you far away from home, and if you dont have towing then your spending just as much to get your car home as you would have spent to get a HO alternator.

Bronze Member

Cincinnati, OH USA

Post Number: 23
That has to be the best quote ever posted on this site.

"It really sucks when your alternator dies when you far away from home, and if you dont have towing then your spending just as much to get your car home as you would have spent to get a HO alternator."

Never looked at it that way. :-)

I'm just going to act like my alternator died and take the money I would HAVE TO fork over to the tow truck guy and use to buy an HO Alternator.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us