My treo just blew

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3968
yesterday i got another battery so i rewired my whole system. i went to a remote place to test out the sound. i turned the volume up to 28/30 and the voltage only dropped down to 12.9 volts.

while i was happy with the little voltage drop, one of the fuse from the fuse distribution block blew shutting down one of the jl 1000/1 off. then all of a sudden my car was filled with smoke coming from the port.

after that my subs started making slapping sounds. both of them did.

i don't know exactly what happened but i called the dealer where i got my treos and they told me it is covered under the warranty so i just need to bring it in and they will change it for me for another pair.

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1539
whoa, that's crazy man. Both of em went?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1147
Sounds kinda weird, just one or two blew? Polo..

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3969
they both blew. i don't know what caused it cause my voltage was at steady 13v at the time.

i forgot to mention my box got loose at the back. so my subs were alittle free air.

also B thinks i may have clipped it before i got the ho alt installed.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 242
are they dvc? are they in the same chamber? maybe one blew because on of the voice coils cam un hooked or something and the other one started bottaming out

Bronze Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 22
d@mn at least you have a warranty and are getting them exchanged.

Silver Member
Username: Zepcoe

TN Us

Post Number: 344
so was 1000 watts too much?

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 259
that blows atleast your getting new ones for freee

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3970
they are dual voice coils.

zepcoe since one of my amp wasn't working due to the fuse going out, it was actually 1000wrms for both subs.

yes i am glad i got my subs from an authorized dealer. i called them up and they told me just bring it down.

Bronze Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 76
damn im startin to have questions about wiring my two treo 15" TSX's to 1500watts at 1 ohm, what do you think chad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
bump

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3971
you aren't going to blow it by over powering them. the reason mine blew was cause it was insufficient power.

1500wrms will be fine for those subs. just make sure you alt will handle that amp otherwise your voltage will drop at high volume causing your amp to send a clip signal to your subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
yea i bought a 200 amp alternator from nate at excessive amperage so i think i will be alright, i have a dual cycle batter, (deep cycle and starting) do you recomend gettin a second battery?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7142
should have got the cmps.lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
cmps?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3972
lol chauncey. i'm good. i like my treos. i am positive it was my fault.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
im sorry guys but i am semi-new to the car audio field and im always hearing about clipping amps, is that when you send too little voltage to the amps?

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 475
clipping is when your pushing your amp to hard and its dosent get enough power to run right (or its being overpowered)... the signal gets clipped.. the peak of the curve gets cut off making a square waves instead of s type waves..... like cutting off the top of the Mcdonalds Arch

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 476
it results in over excursion... or a DC Signal instead of AC signal...

Under/Over powering is caused by turning the gain or bass boost to high.... underpoering is somewhat like using 1500RMS amp on a normal system w/o a ho Alt

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2867
to understand clipping, u must understand the shape of a sinewave... u must also understand at what stage does the clipping begin....

"should have got the cmps.lol" CB

^^^^
im sure I can make a CmpX blow with a clipped signal from 1 of my amps within 2mins... also a DD would do just the same...

ANY SUBWOOFER can burn with a clipped signal...

like Chad said, he played a 50hz SINEWAVE so hard his new chargin system droped to 9v... find a amp thats not gonna clip at 9vs or even play @ 9vs???

I can only think of 1 that can play at those levels.. a IA 20.1

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2868
my 2 15s, seems to like unclipped signals, and high voltage... HMMM

"damn im startin to have questions about wiring my two treo 15" TSX's to 1500watts at 1 ohm, what do you think chad"
C-Reming
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2 TSXs 15s sharing a 1500rms... CALL TREO right now... they will inform u that the TSX 15 can take 1000rms daily EACH, still underwaranty... HMMM

from my testing, I would rate them 1500 daily while keeping cool coils... << that is on the 15s... they have the 3" voice coil...

I beat so freakin hard, ALL freakin DAY, my dustcaps was HOTT at the end of the night... It cooled off in like 10-15mins... HMMM
I can make a TSX do FULL excursion playing music... HMMM

I pretty much did alot of testing with TSXs, and its time for me to sell them off... I OUT GREW THEM... Im going to be shippin them back off to TREO, so Ill have 2 new TSX 15s for sale if someone wants a BRAND NEW PAIR!!

Im sellin BRAND NEW PAIR OF TSX 15s for 500$ or so...

TREO 4 LIFE...

wait 4 my next project, in 1mnth... hahaha :-)

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 501
hey b i have to treo tsx 12" i wuz thinking of getting two 12" treo ssx's would 1200 rms to each be fine?????

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2869
well sought of reminded me when I had the TSX 12s...
man, that think got INCREDIBLE! and I know a installer with 2 12s TSX and 1200 autotek amp with extra batt... and its CRAZY... louder than MOST 12s on the market period!! And the SQ of the 12s were just outrageously GOOD!

Drivingreckless u are asking about 1200rms to each SSX 12?? they will get crazy loud with that, but ur better of getting 1 12 SSX with a 1200rms on each coil... the Single 12 SSX is rated @ 2000rms! It has a 3" voice coil...

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2870
I actually blew the DUSTCAP off a TSX 12 b4... hmmm

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 723
Something doesn't make sense to me, Chad, don't you have one amp per sub? How do you have it wired that if one amp quits then the other amp is still powering both subs?

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 503
yea i wuz thinkin really hard bout this cuz my closest dealer sells the 12" ssx for 600 dollars.....tht sum serious cash for a kidd....plus im gettin my alternator and 2nd amplifier this week:-O

cant wait

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3974
thats what confused me to. one amp was out and yet the other sub was still making noise. i have my amps connected using the output from one amp to the input of the other amp.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2875
Chad that means nothing still, if the amp was out the sub was out.... it may have appeared to still be movin off the potential of the other subwoofer... but SURELY not 2 subs playing...

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 725
Why do you say it means nothing B, this is definitely getting closer to the problem.

A subwoofer in a car will excurt if there are other subs playing, but if one stopped playing, why would the other one blow? It wouldn't, not from just having a limp one next to it. These subs aren't in the same chamber. I guess if the box split open and you had a ton of power going to it for a few minutes, you might be able to do some damage, but most subs should be able to handle the abuse long enough for you to realize something is wrong and turn down the volume.

Can you post pictures of how it is all hooked up, and how the box is damaged. We may be able to help you figure out the cause.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 726
Also, 28 out of 30 max volume may be slightly clipped.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2879
Why do you say it means nothing B, this is definitely getting closer to the problem.

let me define, lol... I misunderstood, he is SAYING 2 subs blew, but I thought he said 1 blew?

I was replying to this statement....
"thats what confused me to. one amp was out and yet the other sub was still making noise. i have my amps connected using the output from one amp to the input of the other amp." CHAD

IT MEANS ABSOULTYL NOTHING by having the rcas feed from 1 amps output to the other amps input... he said and yet the other sub was still making noise.... << THAT MEANS NOTHING!!

I replyed:

"Chad that means nothing still, if the amp was out the sub was out.... it may have appeared to still be movin off the potential of the other subwoofer... but SURELY not 2 subs playing..."

NOW

Lewass u are under impression both subs blew, when I was under the impression only 1 sub blew....

CHAD said the amp blew the fuse, meaning IT RECEIVED NO OUTPUT from that amp... SO IT MEAN NOTHING how he hooked up the RCAS... << that is what I meant....

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3976
this is how i had my amps hooked up. the sub was connect to each amp. the fuse in the slave amp went out.

Upload

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2880
did 1 or 2 subs blew?? if 2 of them, then it clipped hard!

1 amp per sub.. if 1 sub blew, depending on ur box design, the air compression from the working sub and amp is still enough to move the dead sub, making it look like its still playing... most common in common chamber designs...

u should have known when 1 sub went out, by the volume level on HU...

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 730
Have you tried testing each amp and each sub to verify what is blown and what isn't?

What I'm trying to get at is that both subs should not be blown based on what Chad has said, and I think there is some other factor involved.

If he was bumping just fine, and then one of the amps quit, then it should just continue bumping only 1 sub, without anything being damaged or blown.

It sounds like your box may be the key to the problem, can you post a picture of the damage to the box?

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 731
Any sub that isn't even hooked up will still excurt as if it is playing, if there are other subs playing.

I had my Mofo 12" sitting in its box on my front passenger seat after I had just installed my 3 10's, and the Mofo was excurting a good half inch and looked like it was bumping too... So I bet you just blew one. If thats true, the good news is that you can still use one while you are waiting for the other to arrive. Heh

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3977
i tested both subs and they both are blown trust me.

they both make a rattle sound and stink real bad.

the smoke was coming out of both ports.

i can't post a pic of the box cause i got rid of it.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3019
if your voltage only dropped to 12.9 volts thats not where your getting clipping. slash amps wont clip unless below 11.5V. the clipping may begin before the amp. ive had a JL 1000/1 running at 9V before. it plays until you turn it up then it goes into protection.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
"damn im startin to have questions about wiring my two treo 15" TSX's to 1500watts at 1 ohm, what do you think chad" C-Reming
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"2 TSXs 15s sharing a 1500rms... CALL TREO right now... they will inform u that the TSX 15 can take 1000rms daily EACH, still underwaranty... HMMM

from my testing, I would rate them 1500 daily while keeping cool coils... << that is on the 15s... they have the 3" voice coil..." B

no i meant i have two 1500 watt amps, one for each sub. they are two hifonics bx1500d amps, i guess if your putting 2500 watts into them tho i should be fine, also hifonics are over rated so im guessin itll be more around 1300watts

Gold Member
Username: Goatin

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1114
Hifoinics are comonly over rated on their amps 20-30% So those amps will most likely puting out around ~1100 +/-RMS a piece But other than that they are great amps.

Chad man that sucks about your Treo's I would be Upload.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3979
well i took my treo subs to the dealer where i got them and they told me they will send it back to treo for me. i thought they would just replace it with another pair from their store but i guess not. its better than nothing i guess.

in the meantime i bought a pair of kicker cvr 12s for $69 each brand new. since my treo ssi's will take 2-3 weeks to get back i need some kind of bass. lol.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2917
glad u found out exactly why they blew...

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3986
yeah B. i found out the cutout hole for my subs was too big. the air was leaking out the side of the subs like crazy. it was almost free air.

with all the air leaking out, voltage dropping to 9v, and playing a 50hz test tones was killing the subs. i was playing it like that for around 15-20 seconds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us