OT - Those people you just can't convince

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 130
Well, my good friend and of course I are real into our audio. Since I've been part of this forum, I've learned things that I would never have known otherwise, such as caps being pointless, a watt is a watt, etc. Well when some topics come up between us, such as a cap being useless, he automatically thinks I'm wrong and just being an a@shole and starting an argument. I tell him to do some god damn HW on it and read a thread that proves it, but he's not willing to read that much (he dropped out haha). Instead, he'll say, "well then why don't my lights dim as much? It must be better. You're going to need one too!" and the one that really gets me "You just think you know everything huh?", in a real snobby voice. At this point, I just wanna throw him a nice one to the jaw, so I give up.

When you learn things you tend to spread word on it, and actually try help people out, some will take it good, and others will be retards and blockheaded (like my friend!). Anybody else know any people like this?

And since I just learned from the Smiley thread how to do that stuff, I must add this little guy in. I love it! haha

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 105
yes, i know EXACTLY what your talking about. i know i few people who are like that. Especially those dumbass that have a sony 1200 watt max amp and they think they are running 1200 watts to a sub. Haha. Yah a lot of people need to do some HW in on about every catergory/topic in car audio...

Bronze Member
Username: Tweeker

Post Number: 23
lol same here i get tired of arguing with them and so i just let them think what they want lol.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 244
well people here dont BELIEVE that i know what im talking about, so i just say, "ok ill jus have the loudest system in the school and wont help you all out haha"

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 778
ya i have this one friend who not only thinks he knows everything but will lie and turn around all of these stories and things and having been friends w/ him for years all throughout high school and beyond into college i just learn that what he does and not to take him seriously. But one funny thing is if you really call him on something or prove him wrong and start explaining then he backs off haha. I certainly could never have someone like him as my best friend we basically hang out if we're both bored haha.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

Sask Canada

Post Number: 294
Well the people in my school turn to me for car audio help, and even though I dont know everything yet, I still know more then all the rest. There are two other people that THINK they know what they're talking about. So the people I talk to sometimes tell me they told them such and such.. and I try to steer them in the right direction but for some reason they listen to the other two and not me. This one kid took their advice and I lust laughed at him when he asked me to "make his stereo better" after he bought the stuff they told him to buy. So far I have installed 7 stereos in my town and built 4 boxes for friends.. More and more people trust my word now over others. Makes me proud :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Dlenz4437

Post Number: 36
Yeah, it kinda makes me sad when my friends dont know what there doin. I mean i dont know a whole lot but i know enough to tell them what to do with there stero. Like today i was helpin my friend put his highs in his car and he just got power acoustic 5x7's and i told him it would sound alot better if he got an amp but he is so sure that his sony xplod hu puts out 50 watts to each channel. And when i told him that his hu doesnt put out 50 into each channel he tried tellin me he knew more acout car audio than me. lol oh well i guess some ppl will never learn

Silver Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 601
lol i hate going sumwhere like bestbuy or audioexpress and you ask them a question and they dont know what the fu*k ur talkin about. Ha ha i know a hell of alot more than most ppl around here and those workers at car audio stores, thats just sad, when i went to bestbuy and asked them the inside volume of an enclosure and what it was tuned to they were like wut the hell is he talkin about then they offered me a job there and im only 16 and im not from that town.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 779
i actually learned a whole lot from this guy i made friends w/ who worked at circuit city years ago. But he was goin to college and already had his MECP certification so he was really knowledgeable and knew more than anyone else workin there. so not all of the people who work at best buy and circuit city are idiots just most of them haha.

Bronze Member
Username: Brycew7

B.C., B.C.

Post Number: 14
I got a buddy like that, were both into car audio, but he looks at something like Efficiency on a JL website , and he tells me that the 12W3's he's gettin will be louder then my W7 cuz it says 87.15 SPL, and i tell him about companies like RE or Adire Audio, becuase he's shopping around, and he tells me that he would rather get MTX and won't even look at an RE because he has never heard of them. sometimes i wonder about him. oh well, he'll never have a really sick system. oh and he does'nt care about SQ, he just wants SPL and has a pre-fab sealed enclosure. it's pretty sad that some ppl refuse to do their homework when trying to achieve a goal.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4807
I have to say reading your stories here that they sound similar to mine but one thing holds true. How you look at things and handle them can make all the difference in the world wether it be with people or your project goals.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 738
Well, to -Eric-, a capacitor is NOT pointless. I think every killer system needs a capacitor for the amp that is powering the subs. Your cars battery doesn't supply the power on demand quite fast enough for a vision blurring bass hit. A capacitor will supply a huge jolt of power very quickly, so that your amp always gets the FULL amount of amps it is trying to pull.

They will also help for mild cases of lights dimming.

To David, they say ignorance is bliss, and it really is... So don't tell your friend that Sony sucks and that Power Acoustik speakers suck worse. What he doesn't know won't hurt him. In the interest of the truth, you should tell him that his Sony HU only puts out about 16 rms though, just so he can at least be steered in the right direction toward learning how to set up a good system.

To bryce j, your friend sounds like he doesn't know anything about car audio at all, lol. Let's see, he wants purely SPL, and hes buying JL subs and in a sealed?! box??? That's an oxymoron... Show him the Kicker 15" L7... If hes that dumb and truly only wants SPL, he will love that sub. Ehehe.

To ucfsaxman, dude I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have a friend just like that, and it really took me years to realize that he is like that, and not to take him seriously. The way you described it it's like we are talking about the same person, ha.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 739
One more thing about caps, while they are certainly not pointless, they are definitely not the end-all fix it that your friend thinks they are either.

I have a friend who tells me all the time with great determination (because he truly believes it as the truth) that I need a capacitor for my system. I am running 1137 total watts RMS, off of a stock 105 Amp alternator. My lights dim, then dim some more, then get even darker, until the car wants to stall out when I stop. In my case, a capacitor wouldn't do a damn thing. if your car dims only slightly under strong bass hits, but not continuously getting darker, a capacitor will be your best friend.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us