Are my subs blown?

Bronze Member
Username: Stnorris

Post Number: 87
I have 2 12" cvrs in a ported box. They are dual 2 ohm and i have them wired right to my amp. They get really loud, and have pretty good sound quality, but when i listen to them with the trunk open at High volumes, they seem to be making a "fuzzy air noise" that is coming out.

I just got these a few days ago, and i was wondering if they are blown or not?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 895
A good way to see if your subs are blown is to push in on the center of the cone. If you hear a scratching noise or you can't move the cone at all, then you have a melted voice coil/blown sub. Try that.

If you don't hear anything when you do that. More than likely when you say "high volumes", it leads me to beleive that you are just clipping the subs pretty bad.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
neither of those things happened when i pushed on the sub. so do u think i need to turn down the gain some on my amp? i was turning the HU to 20 when they were making that noise.

will still be able to reach that high volume...i will just need to turn the HU to like 23 after i turn down the gain on my amp?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 896
Just set your gain to where it is supposed to be and leave it, then you can go from there. You head unit has a pre-out voltage rating, set the amp gain at that same voltage and don't mess around with it. Do that first.

And you might have to get used to the idea that your subs won't be as loud as you were getting them before. You need to realize that certain subs will only get so loud with you certain setup before they start to clip. Sure they can keep getting louder, but then you are introducing distortion and it just sounds bad and is bad for your subs as well. I think that is sort of the level you were getting to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
ya i know. my hu is 2 volts, but the amp goes from minimum to max. I had it set right around 2, but i dont think that is the problem. My subs played sound like there is something loose on the inside of them ...-at least thats the sound they make. I contacted kicker, and i will see if i can get an exchange for some new ones.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 216
???? i push in on my memphiss and they make a scratching sound, is that bad? they seem to play just fine

Gold Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 1060
Troy, how far do you push in? I can do that to my Arsenals too. At a certain point you will hear a scratching because they are reaching their inward limit. Don't let that fool you. And to answer the original question Steven. It sounds like a good amount of air might be leaking.

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 220
ok yeah its like 1.5 inches in, alright and yeah, check for leaks cuz ive got many(too many) holes in my box and it sounds like youre putting a paper bag in the port, im getting a new box

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
ya thats why mine sounds like...like a paper bag inside the box...i dont know what to do. The box is constructed really well, and i dont think thats the problem...ill have to check it out though...........

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 238
did you screw your amp to your box? that cold be the holes, it could be leaking around the sub, maybe there IS a paper bag inside your box haha jk. do you have excess wire on your subs maybe thats makin noise, jus throwin ideas keep lookin good luck

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 796
do you have enough port area? is it port noise?

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 240
yeah that too,
eheh

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
im not sure if i have enough port area, but im pretty sure i do. but it sounds different than that anyways.. My box is 3/4 inch MDF, and my amp is not scewed into it. is it possible that the wire in my box is rattling inside the box? lol...that actually seems logical

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 243
i think ive got that too and i need to fix it, but im getting a sick new box so chea. and yeah, try that it cant hurt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us