4 type r 12's vs. 2 sx 18's

Bronze Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 99
Which set of subs do you think will be louder(and if possible a guess on the possibles db's i could hit-i'm guessing 152-154 with either pair)???

I have a toyota 4 runner with enough cubic ft in the cargo area to have room for the correct size ported box for each set of subs. I will be powering either combination with an orion 2500d.

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2193
damn man that is tough ... personally i think id get the 2 sx's but either will be real nice

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 203
i'd get the 18's

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7866
tuff choice indeed

18s should get louder

personally im more into SQL - so id get 4 Rs but thats just my taste...

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 204
what would be the total RMS on the 4 R's and the 2 18's?

Bronze Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 100
well....i was all for the 18's, then RE about doubled the prices so that pretty much ruled them out. I then decided a pretty economical way to get loud would be with 4 type r 12's. But now this guy on the forum says he might be able to sell the subs at their old prices....so now i have to make a decision, but i've got time to figure it out

p.s.=what do you guys think about my db possibilities

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 205
i doubt over 154... but it depends on your ride and how big of gauge wire you use because the power deminishes... but then again... i've never heard a metered system so i can't compare anything with anything...

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2194
i have no idea but id say around 150 - 152 in the right box and car

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 206
what would be the total RMS for the 4 R's and what would be the total RMS on the 3 SX's?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7867
with ur amp - 2 sx wouldnt have worked anyway cause a sx comes in 2ohms dvc only

if ur going with any 4 sub combo make sure its dual 2ohms subs so that the load will = 1ohm...Upload

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2195
r's are 500 watts each sx - 1000 rms each.. and he will be using 2 not 3 . Also hes using the orion 2500d to run them

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 207
are the type R's 2 ohm DVC?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7868
yep -

swr 1242d = 4ohms dvc model

swr 1222d = 2ohms dvc model ...

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductList.aspx?CategoryID=18&Manufactu rerID=611&PageNum=1&SortField=1&SortOrder=0&ShowAll=False&AttrID=1&AttrValue=12& RowIndex=3

Silver Member

Pheonix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 208
wow,you learn something new everyday LOL

Silver Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 101
well i would get custom sx's that would be dual 4........its only like 20$ more i think....but thats just a minor detail... i can always cahnge the amp depending on the vc config...i'll probably get the orion 2500d but i can always change my mind

im suprised it would only be in the 150-152 range since i've heard of two type r's doin a 150

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 2197
that dont mean anything lol ... i may not even be close but you'll just have to get it metered as we always say , theres no way to say how much it will be

Silver Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 104
ya...i guess i really shouldn't be asking about the specific numbers, just which set up will the louder--the sx's or the r's?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7872
yes u could get customed order SX but a kicker 2500 is around the same $ as a orion 2500 amp & kicker does 2500wrm @ 2ohms ! if ur going 2 sx subs

since ur after some SPl u might be better off going 2 18s sx......

Silver Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 105
well...because of the re price INCREASE...i will only go with the sx's if i can get them from that dealer on this forum at the old cost

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2956
the 2 18 SXs given to a profesional dbdrag person could probably get a 160 out of them. however, your not that person. so if this is a daily setup with like a 32-35hz tune you'll actually prolly get high 140s but it will be VERY loud and shake EVERYTHING. but if your trying to just compete with them, and have a box tuned to you cars res freq. you could probably get between 150-155 with them. but the only way to really tell is diong it!

Silver Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 106
well i was planning on taking marshalls advice and building an interchangable port box....so a port tuned low for daily AND a port tuned to the resonance frequency of my car

well...if i can get the sx 18's for the old price i will go with them....

but if i can't, are the 4 type r's a viable option for spl?(i would use an int. port box with them to)

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2965
4 tpe R 12s can get VERY loud too. if you can get a box like 9cuft net with 8 4 inch aero ports in your car that would be great. or maybe make 2 chambers...

Silver Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 107
well i would like to do an interchangable port box with any setup i get, so i don't know about the aeros....would the db level with the type r's be comparble to the sx's

Username: Freezeman_7

Post Number: 6
you should defitnly check out the fusion amps www.fusioncaraudio.com they sound amazing with RE subs... that would be incredable loud.. the jonah lomu series would be your best opition it pushes 1325 rms per. it should bust some windows

Silver Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 109
chase: the fusions look ok, but what about the prices?

and rovin: the cheapest kicker i could find on ebay was 680...whereas i can pickup an orion for 450....not really in the same price range

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 117
the orian 2500D is better then the kicker cause its 1ohm stable were kicker is not i duno why kicker was stupid and made that huge amp 2 ohms stable i duno if its capable of handling 1ohm? prob not for long period of time i have 2 type X's i wana run off of it but duno if the amp can handle it cause that be 1 ohm

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7874
Matt

oh well now i realised ur taking about the $450 WCC/orion amp deal which i too recently bought 1 but not hooked as yet til i get my electrical upgraded .......

Silver Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 110
whats the verdict guys----can 4 type r 12's hang with 2 sx 18's in SPL???(i'm sure the r's will win in SQ)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3436
i dunno.....:-)

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 733
just one dude u cant handle two

lbajita.jpg

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 735
just one dude u cant handle two

lbajita.jpg

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 335
2 sx 18's would dominate 4 type r 12's in spl

Silver Member

Martinez, Georgia USA

Post Number: 111
ok...i guess i'll go with the 2 sx's if i can get them at a good price

and rob....what do you kow about how much bass i can handle!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us