Upgrading Tweeters - Need advice / recommendation

Username: Mirezzi

Post Number: 2
Okay, so I don't know all that much about car audio, but I do know that the components you put up front in the doors are crucial to sound quality.

I wanted to put some nice 5 1/4" components in the doors, but my 1998 Audi A4 comes with 4" speakers so there's not room for much. The only thing I was able to fit was a set of relatively inexpensive Clarion SRS1326 components.

I'm mainly concerned with the quality of the tweeters. So I have two questions.

1. Will I run into any odd compatibility issues with installing an upgraded pair of tweeters to mate with the Clarion mids?

2. Should I go all out and buy a set of Scan-speak or Seas Lotus tweets or will the tweets be limited by the quality of the in-line Clarion crossover?

If I can get the most (or close) out of a set of high quality audiophile tweets (Scan-speak, Lotus, etc.), then I'll get a set of them. If not, I'll buy something like $70 Infinity Reference silks.

Thanks a lot for any counsel or suggestions!

Post Number: 3
Well, I like this website!

I saw the thread about 4" component systems and now I've discovered the CDT Audio CL-41 components.

I think I'd be much better off buying a nice set of 4" components than trying to hybridize these cheap Clarions by mating them with nice tweets.

So if anybody has any more advice or suggestions for 4" components, I'm all ears (errr eyes).

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 771
If you want a good tweet get the CDT DRT-25 which is the silk version of their 1in tweet. Pretty much its the same tweet as the drt-26S but its not modular. It also comes with the lp-1 remote for it. Cost you about 75$ shipped.

Post Number: 5
Thanks, man. You driving an A4?

I think I'm gonna order the CDT CL-41 components tomorrow. I'm not sure if they come with the DRT-25 tweets or not, I'll have to check.

What do you have in the doors of your ride?

Post Number: 6
Well, according to their site, the CL-41 comes with the TW-24 1" silk soft dome tweeter.

Hopefully that's comparable in quality to the DRT-25?

Post Number: 7
Ahh, I see the DRT-25 tweeter comes mated to the HD series components, and they're a bit out of my price range!

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 927
If you made sure that the crossover point and slope of your current tweeter matched whatever your replacement tweeter can handle, you'll be OK. You'll probably be better off getting a comp set. Also, if possible, you should consider taking your 4" speaker locations and modifying them to accept 5.25" speakers (or find another mounting spot for 5.25")

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 772
Benji if you like PM me and i'll see how much it will be for the drt-25 on the CL-41 components. As for me no I don't drive an Audi, I'm a dealer for CDT and drive a Galant. I have ES-600 with the braxial mounts in my doors and HD-5s in the kicks.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3764
alter do you use the upstage speaker with yoursetup ?

Silver Member

Concord

Post Number: 773
no need to right now,may later but with the braxial mountings and the drt-25 on them they're good right, very good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us