Two amps or one big one???????

Bronze Member
Username: Bdb886

Post Number: 19
I recently bought 2 kicker 12" l7's and I'm not sure what amp to get. I have a leftover power acoustik 1920-2 from a previous system. For now I was just going to run the system on that but when I upgradew would it be better to get another power acoustik seeing that they are not that expensive, or should I go with something like a hifonics brutus or something like that. The reason I ask is because my budget is very small (250 max for the amp) and I can get another power acoustik for like 120-160 ish.
the kicker are 4 ohm dual voice coil and here is the specs for the power acoustik>>

1920 Watts Bridged Max
2 x 370 Watts into 4 Ohms RMS
2 x 440 Watts into 2 Ohms RMS
880 Watts Mono RMS
Full Mosfet Power Supply
PWM Circuitry
Full Selectable Crossover Hi/Full/Low
Three Way Protection Circuit
2 Ohm Stable Stereo
Variable Low Pass 30Hz-500Hz
Variable Hi Pass 50Hz-500Hz
Variable 24 dB Bass Boost
Variable Subsonic Filter 60Hz-200Hz
Frequency Response: 10Hz to 30KHz
S/N Ratio: 98 dB
THD: 0.02%
System Distress Indicator
4 Gauge Power/Ground Connection
Diamond Cut Heat Sink
Gold Plated RCA Connectors
Line Output
Top Control Panel
22" x 11" x 2.25"

kicker specs>>>>

Kicker Solo-Baric L7 S12L7 (dual 4 ohm)
Kicker 15 Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer
Titanium deposit cone
Non-resonant aluminum basket
Dual 4-ohm voice coils for wiring flexibility
Frequency response 18-100 Hz
Power range 750 watts RMS
Peak power handling 1500 watts
Sensitivity 89.3 dB SPL

Silver Member
Username: Highstone

Post Number: 174
if i were you i would get 2 amps, because lets say if for some reason goes bad you don't have to put a lot of money to get a new one.. however if you have one amp and it goes bad you have to pay more.. u know... but if you have space problem then just get one...

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 977
If they are sharing the same chamber, go with one amp, to make sure the signal they're getting is identical. :-) But really it shouldnt be too much of a problem, either way, as long as the settings on both amps are reasonably close to each other.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2093
theres no real big advantage one way or another with one amp vs. two.
Power Acoustic amps are aweful. Hifonics are decient and would be a step up. they aren't that expencive either. Orion amps are pretty cheap too.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 614
why don-t you get hifo 1606d, cheap and i think is better one amp, save more space and wires

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1197
1 amp will cost less money usually.

Bronze Member
Username: Ndfantp

Post Number: 25
The Kenwood KAC 9152d 1800 watt amp is pretty nice. Its only $185 new and if you look hard you can get them for as low as 130 on ebay.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I realise the power acoustic amps are really overrated, they may claim to have almost 2000 watts but only have like 700 rms. but wouldn't that make 2 a good match for each of the kickers (750rms)??

I was looking at the 1606d but it is pushin the limits of my price range. ( I'm a college student workin 2 jobs just to get by )

The kenwood sounds good, I havent heard much about their amps, but i will check it out.
What to you guys think about the kenwood, is it good enough to make the woffers POUND or will the 2 amps still be better??

Mark S, In this situation 2 amps will cost less because I already have one of the amps. And a brand new one only costs like 140 or so.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em' coming.

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 521
go with the hifonics 1606 with that budget, here's one for $230

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-NEW-HIFONICS-1600W-BRUTUS-BXi1606D-AMP-BXi-1606D_W0QQit emZ9726268970QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i'd stay away from kenwood mono amps, heard nothing but pretty bad things about them.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7819
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16370

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
THe link only shows the 1606d for $310 not including shipping???

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 525
the ebay link? i checked it and it still says $230 with shipping at $26. if it don't work search ebay for item #9726268970.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Ok, sorry mike I was looking at Rovins link. Its looks like a good deal its just really pushing my budget which isn't much, I know. Correct me if I am wrong but it seams that 2 amps rated at 1920 watts each (I know, its overrated) would give plenty of power if not more than the Hifonics would,and I would be saving alot of money, but I am still pretty new at this so... any more suggestions would be great

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 689
dont go by max power it means nothing. figure by the rms or continuous power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
How do you like your power acoustik Rovin?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Any more suggestions??

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 555
brian, still looking for an amp? i'd stay away from pa, there pretty crappy. what other amps you looking at for your kickers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Im not sure really, basically anything decent that will fit my budget (below 250). The kickers are 4 ohm dual voice coil . any suggestions??

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2131
heres a Crossfire VR1000D on ebay for $195
http://cgi.ebay.com/Crossfire-VR1000D-mono-block-1000watt-amp-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ972 8405354QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heres a Hifonics Brutus BX1500D for $220
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HIFONICS-BRUTUS-BX1500D-SUBWOOFER-AMP-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitem Z9724939077QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hifonics are a little over rated, so i suggest the 1500 watt one rather then the 1000 one to make sure you have plenty of power. 70% is the number i hear but can't verify that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2075
brian you can not run that power accoustik bridged on 1 sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
ok, how about this, 2 directed 1500d amps?
They are like 1100rms and they are probably a little overrated, would I be able to run one to each sub??
Thanks ty im still pretty new to all this and don't know much yet. HOw do I know if I can run one to each sub? Does it have to be brigeable or something like that??

Silver Member

Ct.

Post Number: 611
don't know the specs of the amps but if there 2ohm stable then your good.

this will show wiring options for different sub, depending on there vc's

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=DVC4x2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks mike, so If i want to run 2 amps they have to be able to run at 2 ohms, I think. The directed amps say they run at 800rms at 2 ohms. Sound like it would be perfect. Have you heard good or bad about directed?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
anyone?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I just bought my directed 1500d for 150$ (retail $599-$699). I bought it off ebay with a 6 month warranty! I am hoping to buy another within the next day or so. This system is going to bump Hard!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Just bought the second one!! 300$ (shipped) for two 600$ amps, cant get much better!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us