OT- Feeling Pressured

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 261
You know, before coming across this site, I was quite happy with me equipment. Ya, I know my stuff sucks, but anyway I was happy with the SQ and SPL until I got here. Now I find myself spending $100s on upgrades, countless hours on here drooling over bigger and louder set ups. Late nights in the driveway wiring and rewiring, and building boxes I've been stopping in to audio shops just to look at Subs and amps and yes, barate the poor BestBuy sales reps with my slightly advaned Knowledge of Car audio then him. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel pressured to keep upgrading?

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 358
no tht would be me too

Bronze Member
Username: Livin_loud

Ny

Post Number: 57
Addicting, isn't it? :-)

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 263
Dam straight it is..

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 672
like a strange sickness....

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3319
what exactly do you guys say to these helpless Best Buy people..........i really want to try it and i need some suggestions.:-):-):-)

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 265
Find an amp thats like 100x2 at 4 Ohms and 200x2 at 2 ohms, then ask em to show you speakers in the 2 ohm range. They will tell you its mostly for a sub. Ask em to show you a sub that runs at 200 rms @ 2 ohms. They willl proble show you a kicker or MTX. then show em that recomennded rms for that sub is like 500 not 200.... then tell em you realy interested in speakers tho. can he explain how to make em 2 ohm....This is usualy around the time he has to take his break and pawns you off to the new guy who says I just started. Im not familiar with that yet..Also ask if sony is a good amp sub combo... Is it comparable to like, JL....then say stuff like sony seems to have the best stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3321
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i will have to try that. lmao!!!
watch'em squirm eh? :-O:-O:-O

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 267
Also ask em if its ok use a 4 channel amp bridged at like 100 watts x2 @ 4 ohm to run 1 sub and 4 speakers Preferable a sony amp....
Other questions include:
whats THD
whats stereo seperation
whats S/N ratio mean
Will it run at stated Max power, not rms
what size wire should I run.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3326
haha....those are good^^^:-)

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 967
lol. I started on this site with a pair of 12" subs, and a power acoustik LT980 amp.. Couldnt install my own head unit..

Now I have (Installed all of it myself) six 12's, a JL 13W7, a pair of Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1's, a Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1, Infinity Kappa 50.7 CS componets in custom kick pods, MB Quart PCE 164 midbass rearfill woofers.. This damn site has cost me thousands. :-P

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 833
but i love this site.. without it i would have a pair of legacy subs, and a cuspid amp!! and thought i was the sh't! lol

its worth the addiction

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1536
I work at Circuit City, i'm an installer/sales guy.

75% of the time i'm installing something in a car but i the other 25% of the time when there are no installs and i'm working sales...holy god i cant take some of the things people bring up to me, it makes me just want to hit them in the face with a baseball bat. I know as much as the next guy on here if not more just from dealing with more cars and such but thats not the point...If you spend just 10 minutes, 10 minutes looking into what you're trying to do you wouldn't come off as sounding like such an ignoramus (i've always wanted to use that word)

You wouldn't beleive some of the stuff that i'm asked, sometimes i'll just complete make up some bullshit answer, other times i'll prove them completly wrong and show them there amp isnt anything special (gotta love having the internet at work) and sometimes, i'll actually take the time to explain something to the guy (depending on if you think he'll actually understand what you tell them)

I'd really like to share some of the stuff that people ask, just because i have nothing better to do with my time and every so often you just have to vent:

"I'm looking to put 1 12" and 2 10's in my car"
"I've got a 1800watt profile amp for $100 and i'm looking for a sub that'll take all 1800w"
"What are ohms"
"Will this sound good in my car"
"Does this sound good to you"
"What do you know about car stereos"
"Why is that Eclipse amp so much more then that Bazooka amp when they put out almost the same power?

And my all time favorite, which mind you i've heard on several occations:
"Why should i buy from you and not best buy?"

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 971
Exactly why should they buy from circuit city and not best buy? Circuit city has a 30 day warranty if you dont get the extended, and then you have to deal with the manufacturer yourself. Best Buy will at least take care of the shipping for you. :-P

I had a pair of Pioneer REV series 6.5" coaxials go POS on me, took them back to circuit city, and they just told me to contact pioneer. (this was 2 months after I bought them.)

Heh, but that's besides the point.. I wanna know your answers to all those questions! :-P

Bronze Member
Username: Gangstaplayer

Gangstaville chicago

Post Number: 69
most of those girls, jeff jw cuz generally i have never met a girl who knows what she is talking about and i know a few ladys with systems
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us