Do long ground wires affect amp performance or sound quality

Username: Quick94gt

Fontana, Ca. United states

Post Number: 1
Well i went to the stereo shop today and they laughed at my old wiring, i had some cheap 4agw that seriously has to have about as many strands as my fosgate 8GA welli also have some cheap rca's producing some serious noise, i went ahead and ordered Knuconcepts.com Kolossus 4 AGW and there black RCA's what kind of issues do long gound wires cause? will i notice anything different about the sound quality? my system consists of the following: Pioneer DEH-P770mp, Directed 1100D, Directed 4200, pioneer 6x8 four ways, two alpine 12" type R's and a audiocontrol 6xs.

The guy at the sereo shop said i should eliminate the audiocontrol 6xs...should i? my friend just threw that in there, is it worth having? what does it do? should i just stick with the stereo and amp crossovers?

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 365
wel i gues u got hustled into buying sum unneccessary things....even tho wire is wire sum wires are labled sumthing they are not...but almost always never listen to dealers thier main goal is to try to sell and it seems they succeded well nutting u can do can u

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2098
you want to keep the grounds as short as possible. the ground is very important. haveing too long a ground or just a bad ground in general can cause a lot of problems. so if course, that will lead to SQ issues.

don't know much about the Audiocontrol stuff, so i can't say one way or another there.

Username: B_sharp

Post Number: 6
Meaningless if they laughed at your old wiring. Your shop installers are only certified, they are not college EE degreed to better understand electrical theory.

Audio frequencies, < 20khz, are too low for your human ear to detect distortion of bad grounds.
Poor filtering could result in undesired engine noise since audio and engine RPMs are at similar frequencies.

Higher frequencies like AM or FM radio require attention to minimum length grounding. That effects radio station selectivity etc.

More important is bringing grounds to a central common point. Fatter the common ground wire or point the better. And in general, shortest wires work best.

In Engineering, common grounds are thick copper bars quite long, but with 10 times the equipment running.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us