Vinyl Tips

Silver Member
Username: Algirard1

OH United States

Post Number: 175
I've decided to cover my box with vinyl. I was wondering if anybody had any tips to make the process go easier? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Shman

Grandville, Michigan United States

Post Number: 226
sew cording to the edges of the vinyl and make the cover a tiny bit smaller than the box(so you cant stretch it over tight). also use some spray on glue between the vinyl and the wood so it doesnt flap when the bass hits.......i covered my first box that i made with vinyl.... maybe i can get some pictures up.....

Silver Member

OH United States

Post Number: 176
Pics would be great. Thanks for the advice

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

Sask Canada

Post Number: 246
heres my box..
Upload
I dont know if you can see the seams.. My mom did it all for me. She sewed the seams and turned it all inside out and stapled the excess material after the seem onto the box. We unfolded it so it wasnt insideout as we put it on the box and kept stapeling the material and folding ofertop the staples. Its kinda hard to explain because i dont sew much. It all looks so straight and good. Like Archie Clark said, make it a little smaller than you need because it will stretch and look alot better than the saggy material if you dont make it smaller.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 266
Man, that looks nice. I hope you buying Mom something nice for mothers Day...BTW whered you get the vinyl? Ive been looking for "diamond plate" vinyl to wrap my new box.

Silver Member

Sask Canada

Post Number: 247
haha, i have no more money after buying mom something nice, lol. They usually have a large variety of vinyl at any fabric store.. but im not sure about diamond plate. Ive seen the interior of a car done in diamond plate vinyl and that looked really nice! Maybe check ebay.. thats where my sisters bf got the stuff he needed for a poker table he made and other things.

Silver Member

Sask Canada

Post Number: 248
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Silver-Diamond-Plate-Metallic-Vinyl-24-x-30-Feet_W0QQitemZ761 8697609QQcategoryZ46741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

^$15.50 for 24" x 30 Feet. Im not sure if thats what you're looking for tho...

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 125
My box was done the easier/cheaper way were it was just wrapped in vinyl then on the sides that were left the vinyl was pulled and stapled in and I had other pieces of 1/4 inch wood cut to the size of the sides and covered also, then put on top. I know I wrote it like it could be really complicated but it really wasnt. I did blue vinyl and carbon fiber vinly which i think came out pretty bad a$s.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

OH United States

Post Number: 178
Matt - For the 1/4 inch plywood did you glue them on or screw them on? Thanks for all of the tips.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 760
get the right kind of spray glue (not the 3m super 77 stuff) that they use in shops and let it tack up first and then stretch and try to get someone to help hold stuff for you, makes it much easier.

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 126
The side pieces where just screwed in on each corner and that did the job. On mine I used glue but I also stretched and stapled it so it would stay tight and not move around while the glue was still drying
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us