Overhead Speaker Mount

Username: Patriot4real

Pasco County, Fl

Post Number: 1
Recently installed infinity Kappa 6.1 component speakers in the rear factory locations of my 99 Tacoma ext. cab truck. The quality of these fine speakers is squelched by the factory appointed locations. I would like to mount the speakers overhead at the rear of the cab. (Headliner)
I've built boxes for the 6.5's but am looking for mounting suggestions. ie. bracket fabrication and where if at all, I can fasten to the roof of the cab w/out penetrating the exterior roof panel. Does anyone know what is above the headliner on these trucks?

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 162
Use Sky hooks...

Username: Enolagaia

Ohio

Post Number: 1
There's basically nothing behind (OK - above....) the headliner in the Tacoma.

Have you considered some sort of vertical mounting on the back wall instead?.....

Pasco County, Fl

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the feedback, Enolagaia. I suspected there was little or nothing above the headliner. The dilemna with the rear of the cab is the same as the roof. There is nothing there except window and single wall metal.

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 165
Is there some kind of moulding between the roof and sides? or trim around window? make a couple ef backets, slit the material, slide um down and secure with silicone, glue, attach speakers...

Upload

Pasco County, Fl

Post Number: 3
Your help and the illustration are appreciated, Marc. I think I've devised a way to mount them. Based upon the criteria provided by the tech dept. at Infinity, optimum sonic performance requires .35 - .4 cubic ft. per speaker. When I finished fabrication and installed the Kappa's these boxes weigh over 8lbs. each. The weight and size greatly limit my options of installation. After considering the layout of the Tacoma cab and disassembling the seat and trim in the extended cab area I've designed and am fabricating a metal rail system that I think will work well. If anyone reading this thread is interested in knowing more, I'd be happy to provide details.
Thanks again to all who responded to my request for suggestions. Teamwork!

Username: Enolagaia

Ohio

Post Number: 2
I'd be very interested in learning how it turns out (I also have an XtraCab Tacoma of the same generation).

... And I'm sure the guys over at CustomTacos (Tacoma-specific customs forum, where I'm a moderator) would love to know about it, too...

Pasco County, Fl

Post Number: 4
I expect to have the work completed by the end of next week. I'll get back to you with details then, Randall.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us