What makes a wire good?

Silver Member
Username: Zepcoe

TN Us

Post Number: 246
Strand count or what the wire is made out of or what?my dad said strand count doesnt really matter its what the wire is made out of for example: theres gold wire which nobody uses cause cost to much and wont make differance in sound then copper then aluminium. So what i need to know is im looking at to buy some wire what do i need to look at strand or quality?

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 655
lol, strand count does matter you can use welding cable cheap and effective.

Silver Member

TN Us

Post Number: 251
ok i got that strand cound doesnt matter but what does matter the quality? and what is the best wire for power and ground and speakers?

Silver Member

TN Us

Post Number: 254
?

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 243
The Kolossus wire is excellent wire....usually the higher the strand count the more pliable the cable is, making easier to run large cable throughout the vehicle...I prefer higher strand count wire (and honestly only order my stuff from Knu Konceptz) because it's easier to work with in my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 102
doesn't it matter also how the wire is covered? some cimpanies seem to cover there wire cheaper than others and if air gets in it can cause oxcidiation or somethhing like that. im not sure if that really effects the preformance or not but i know i wouldnt buy a cheap pos wire when i spend so much on the system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Knu Konceptz does an excellent job with the wires...it's very good and a great bargain for what you get...and they ship the stuff out right away when you order it

Silver Member

TN Us

Post Number: 255
are you like a sales man for them or something lol

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 506
i got some knu konceptz kolossus wire and it is very high quality. off brands of wire advertise as being a certain gauge but they are actually smaller than the name brands wire of the same advertised gauge. you want to get the same or bigger ground wire than your power wire. from the amp to the sub ordinary speaker wire should do fine. you dont need large speaker wire becaue there isnt a lot of current going through them, you dont need any bigger than about 14 unless you have like 2000wrms.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1720
oxidation doesnt really happen to copper wire but it wil happen to aluminum wire and the covering ont he wire wont matter unless you rub it on something and rip it

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 667
it dosn't make a noticable difference if it's made outa copper gold or platnium if you do the math there is a difference but not enough to noticeably hear.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Zepcoe - no I'm not a salesman for Knu Konceptz...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2728
Kicker wire is the best right now.. very flexible, high strain count! No matter what company you choose, just make sure that your 0ga wire doesnt look like 2ga and your 2ga doesnt look like 4ga.. Cause some companies are rapeing people. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
Kicker is the best according to you....I'll bet if I wasted my time and did some extensive research I could find some wire that would make the kicker wire seem like zip cord from Radio Shack.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1738
okay but then it wouldn tbe treu 0 gauge dumba## lol it would be bigger theres a reaon why they call it awg cause it the american wire gauge therefore to be 0 gauge it has to be a certain size which kicker's is true 0 gauge so you would be getin something bigger

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3168

quote:

Zepcoe - no I'm not a salesman for Knu Konceptz...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

......LMAO!!!:-O

Username: Vanito

Post Number: 1
I would steer clear of any aluminum wire for any A/V application. Strand count is important to give a flexible application especially for routing at the back of equipment.

Gary
http://www.hdmi.info
- HDMI cables, switchers, splitters -

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7673
i bet 100bux there will be numerous more posts about ppl argueing which wire is best , little stuff like this ppl get all worked up over nothing much -lol ........

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1757
lol ya i agree with you ill start it maonster cable is the best lol

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6842
no everybody is wrong, Chauncey cable is the best

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2866
strand count, actual diameter, resistance....thats what you need to look for in cable.

high strand count = flexable and high mass of metal

think about strand count like this...take 2 equal sized buckets, fill one w/ ice cubes and the other w/ crushed ice. the one w/ the crushed ice will allow you to get more mass in the same area.

smaller strands, tighter packet = more wire

large wire diameter = high metal mass

higher mass = better (more current can flow)

low resistance = easier for current to flow

:-)

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 462
depending on which metal you use makes a difference in the resistance...

the best cable to use is gold... it has ultra low resistance... thats why you see gold plated plugs.. it makes the electricity easier to travel from one plug to the other....
the metal is so soft and thats what gives it the low resistance

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 689
And rather dense.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us