Preamp voltage for everyone?

Bronze Member
Username: Sgerard

Post Number: 23
what preamp voltage do you have?

right now i have a kenwood with 2 volts preamp.

I dont know if it will be good enough for the amp and subs im getting. I want more amplifier output.

what is your preout voltage on your headunit and how good is it? does 2 work with subs?

i need help with this!!

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1974
5V with the 880PRS here. or 16V if i get 18Ft DIN to DIN cables for the Zapco amps.

2 volts will work. some people say it doesn't mean anything, some say the higher the voltage, the better the sound quality and the less work the amps have to do. not totally sure whats true and whats false.

Silver Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 341
Brandon u da man!

Bronze Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 46
I have a 2.5V output on my Kenwood KDC-528 cd player.... And im pushing the amp (Earthquake PHD 10000w\2) at 1ohm on 2 audiobahn Immortal Quad VC subs and my amp gets hot. Would i need higher Preamp Output to help this or are my subs most likely bad.... Would amps get hot trying to push subs twice as strong as them? My speakers read at .8 to .9 ohms when wired for 1 ohm, and my amps gets hot and cuts out after a while. What does this sound like?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3129
4V:-)

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2724
well any amplifier will do better with the higher input voltage, most amp will also state their max input voltage for the RCAS.. it will vary..
A line driver can boost a clean unclipped signal up to 13 volts if needed...

My Alpine HU is a 1V preout... (OLD)
that 1V is pusshing 10,000 Total watts now.. Untill I get my new HU... :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 78
4 with the alpine headunit. I can tell a difference when i switched headunits from 2V to 4V. Amps ran a little quiter. Nothing too drastic though.

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 897
7v.....:-)

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 913
When you have a higher input voltage, you can lower the voltage of the input stage on your amp. It allows for a lower noise floor.

Bronze Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 85
Eclipse runs 8V on some of their hu. they are nice units

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2834
2.2V

pioneer DEH-p6400

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5776
4 volt alpine

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2757
8V eclipse... its not 8V though... somethings wrong..

when i get new stuff...i want to get a pioneer 7600dvd with 5V and boost the signal to 7.5V with audiocontrol products. the epic 160 and something else for my mids/highs. i dont know which model yet.

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Boston, MA

Post Number: 548
4v cda-9831 and hopfully an audiocontrol linedriver for my xtant amp :-))

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 656
6.5 volts deh-p860mp.

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 52
With my 2.5v, if i installed a linedriver ( http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/dept.asp?d_id=5249&l1=5249 ) the Epicenter, would that be better for my subs and amp? I am getting the subs replaced also :-) i should have it all back in about a month. I am debating on weather i should get this line driver..... Does it truely sound good still with it?

Bronze Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 55
how can you check the volts? theres only positive wire... should i ground it to the frame?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 943
6.5 volts deh-p860mp.

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 714
i have 6.5v on an premier 860, but its getting fixed right now because the front set of preamps doesnt work right

btw, ikesound is charging me $35 to fix it on top oof shipping it to them, even though its under its 2 year warranty from them, they call it a "service charge", i call it a "Fucked in the @ss charge"

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 53
Hey Troy, Only positive what do you mean? If they are RCA like they should be the inner pin is positive and the outter ring type thing is the ground. Also if its not a stock, you should be able to check the Output volts on the Specs of the cdplayer from the manufacturors page.

Bronze Member

Il USA

Post Number: 54
Does any1 happen to know the max RCA InputVoltage for a Earthquake PHD10000\w2 im not to sure what it is but since it such a high end amp it should support fairly high voltage right?

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 216
2.2v of my 85$ awia HU
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us