Cap between alt and batt??????????

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 564
is it a good idea to put a cap between the alt and batterie the cap will be waterproff and all that im askin this cuz i have a stock alt and im runnin a precicion power dcx1500 at 1 ohm and 4 channel phoenix gold amp and alpine deck plus lightin, it will be better????i will have more stable output???and is it worth it???
Upload
oh i toolk these pics from a dude called Peter Dyrke in the speaker foroum
Upload

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 567
and it has to be near the alt or the batt???

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2826
if you are determined to run a cap...have it as close to the AMP as possible. (1 ft would be good)

it can help to filter the AC-ripple from the alt.

BTW...i have never seen someone put a cap under the hood...lol.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2827
oh...but overall, caps are pretty much usless.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1024
probably not a good idea to have it under the hot hood either

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 568
i know all about caps cuz i have one wit two amps first i though it was a ripped off but i installed like 3 inch form the amps and my lights do not dim no more only at full volume but slighty but im gonna buya 0 gauge wirin and includes a cap wat if i put the cap between the alt and batt and the other one close to the amps and im gonna install a second batterie too oh and anyone u all of you know if the cap needs tobe installed near the alt or batterie???

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 381
don't get a cap unless you have a ho alt. and most people say 6inches is optimum distance from the amps, no more than a foot. you want it as close to the amps as possible to deliver the extra power they store.

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 570
i think under the hood will be a good idea cuz like marshall said it can help filter the ac and it will help the alt when it gets stressed by demand of power well i think that way im not sure

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 571
and i think it will help to to start the engine better when is cold

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 383
1) a cap has nothing to do with the starting of the engine, hot or cold.

2) a cap under the hood is a bad idea because the main purpose of the cap. is to smooth the ac ripple and deliver bursts of power at times of high demend when needed by the amps. thats why you want it as close to the amps as possible, for the power going from the cap. to the amp has the shortest distance to travel. it in no way helps relieve stress from the alt., just adds to it if the alt. isn't large enough.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1518
thats just a fire hazzard waiting to happen...

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 576
1) when the climate is cold the amps of the batterie gets lower why u think batteries shows coldcrakin amps when u start the enine the batterie give alot of power in one burst to power the engine and wit a cap it will help alittle better to charge and it will help to discharge
2) and cap can filter the ac thing and that will help the noise when u push the gas and it will help to get cleaner power to the headunit cuz is the main unit of the sound system.

i know it has to be as short as posible but can be near the startin batterieand it will help get cleaner output to the other accesories and im gonna put a second batterie or another cap close to the amps

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 577
the dude from the photos said that the output got cleaner and dimmin free plus his noise problems got solved

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1019
LIlrob, listen to what they are telling you! Fck that guy that took those pictures, looks to be of a Grand prix GT. That cap should never have been wire-tied to the after market steel tower support rod it is a fire waiting to happen. By the way, I think he is running a stock alt also Here is a picture of my engine which is close to his but MORE balls, note the difference of his alt to mine (300A) and also note, NO CAP! Polo. :-O

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1020
Oh and also if I am not mistake, the increased heat will bring up the ESR value of the cap, coupled with the extra length of the power wire will probably make it useless not to mention cut its life really short...JMHO..Polo :-)

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1127
i think your nuts putting the cap on top of your engine there

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 654
.Upload

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 586
yea u got a point there polo but im not gonna put the cap where he have it i have a ford truck they use the largest batterie is like half of the optimas and i have a optima redtop so i have space for like 4 caps wat if i put a cap intherenext to the batterie the cable will be like 1-2 inch of leghnt im askin this cuz i have a extra cap that i dont use

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1407
I suggest you let it collect dust some more than putting it on the truck

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 589
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801

im gonna do the big thre maybe today or saturday hhaha nut the alt have the ground cable too long should i find another post to make the cable shorter???

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1023
Do the big three, use a deepcycle battery and get a HO alt. After you have done that then maybe you can get a cap and place it 6" from you amplifier(s). Use a max of three caps to keep the ESR down (resistance). Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 443
Wow just wow, he just doesn't get it...

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1029
He got hit on the head pretty hard at the Ralley on monday, he'll be ok..LMFAO...Polo. :-O

Username: Judson

Decatur, Alabama

Post Number: 4
just my 2c ... but isn't it "battery" and not "batterie"?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us