Capacitor for first order low pass xover

Bronze Member
Username: Jdub_dub

Post Number: 53
i noticed that most of the tutorials on building crossovers show that you need to use an inductor in series with the speaker to obtain a low pass network. isnt it possible to use a capacitor in parallel with the speaker to get the same result?

i forgot how to make those bode plots and how to generate the equations for the filters. and one other thing, how does the phase shift from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd order networks? for some reason i thought that 2nd order networks flip it 180 degrees, but the first order varies with frequency. is this right?

i know that the impedance of a capacitor is Zc = 1/(jwC), but i dont remember how it works with the resistance and inductance of the speaker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 905
www.passivecrossovers.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
so does anyone have an answer? i skimmed through that website but it didnt answer my question. so, is it possible to use a capacitor in parallel to get the same effect as an inductor in series? and if so how would i calculate the value of the capacitor. would it just be C=1/(wR) where R is the impedance of the speaker and w is 2(pi)f?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us