Recommended ported chamber volume for Treo SSI 10 ?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1000
Thanks...Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3900
ported:

1.25 cu ft net, 12 sq in vent, 18 in long, F3=27hz

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1001
DAMN CHAD, you fast! Thanks man...Polo :-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3064
i was looking on their site....and the TSx has a stronger motor, and more Xmax than the SSi, in its respective sizes. hmmmm

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1002
SSI is an SQ sub..Polo.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3065
i know, and the more motor strength a sub has....the more control over the VC it has....and the more inclined to SQ it is.

and the TSx has more BL than the SSi....so it has more control over it's motor than the SSi does. and the SSi has a higher Qts which means it is inlcined more for SPl due to its weaker motor.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3066
just seems weird....that the mechanics for a SQ sub are seen in the TSx and the mechanics for a SPL sub are seen more in the SSi. that's all

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3901
your welcome. i just happen to have the sheet that came with my sub next to me at the time. :-)

don't worry they had the 10" sub spec too so thats what i gave you.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2687
:-) Intresting stuff Muddy.... TSX keep on surprising me... Its funny how TREO does stuff, but the SSI has amazing SQ the way its designed. the TSX sq is amazing I must say and it does handle like a champ! The magnet on the TSX are slightly larger also.. TSX also has more excursion..

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1004
Ya, I noticed the increased excursion of the TSX over the SSI, that is why the TSX's BL is a little higher but the SSI's RMS handling is quite a bit higher that the TSX. With the SSI's lower excursion, higher suspension stiffness and looser motor structure the SSI is gonna be "Ultra Linear", can't wait to get mine! Also note the higher motor weight on the SSI (72ozmore) this is because of the integral heat sinks to keep the 3" VC cool with all that power. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2695
a greater BLK is more inclinded to SPL not SQ im pretty sure. however. we all know numbers arent everying. if i wasnt bumming it right now id look to reasure myself but some SPL subs dont even have that high of a BL and are LOUD! but im really almost positive higher BL is for SPL... and i dont know where you guys are getting your information from... the TSX doesnt have more excursion than the SSi.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2697
BL*not BLK*

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3070
yes it does.....Read The Site:-)
the TSx has an excursion of 54mm
the SSi has an excursion of 27mm :-)

from Glasswolf:
the motor strength or BL of the driver reflects how much control the magnet/motor structore of the sub exerts on the moving mass.
it's a trade off. generally the more control the motor has, the more accurate or controlled the speaker is going to be, but the less efficient it'll be, too. a strong BL is good for SQ but not so good for SPL.
There are other factors affected as well but that gives you an idea.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2710
do you know how much 54mm is? thats definately p2p. 54mm is the new xxx xmax... the tsx isnt even close... lol

"High SPL subs have VERY tight magnetic gaps. This coupled with stiff motor structure and (for most) high Vas make a poor SQ sub. Some are down right pitiful for daily use. The MTX RFL is a good example. The coils have a tendency to unwind after heavy use. High Bl and Low Mms can be good for SQ. There are just too many factors that go with it to say those are all bad. I hear the Treo CSX can sound pretty good. I know the DD 9515's can."

"their suspension and other specs just arent right for something like a sealed box. they just don't really move in the same way that other subs that maintain SQ do. they have high BL (motor strength) and most SPL subs depend on the higher BL to get loud..there are so many factors that go into it. basically they are just the antithesis of SQ subs.."

"What would be the most difference is taking a sub and changing a BL of like 15 or so, raising the BL to make it a much more SPL oriented sub, (having a stronger motor force), or lowering the BL to make it a more SQ oriented sub (Less motor force). But i'd think if you changed the BL that much other things on the sub would change as well, Raising the BL you would need more of a moving mass to not throw the sub out of the gap, or something like that."

"Best of all, Tumult uses Adire's patent-pending XBL2 motor technology. This new motor design yields the flattest BL curve of any motor design. And a flatter BL curve means lower distortion, and reduced dynamics compression. Truer to the signal - better sound. And contrary to what some claim, it doesn't sacrifice ANY BL or motor strength; in fact, the Tumult has more motor strength than just about any home audio driver available today."
-from adires site. if your not sacrificing BL that means you still have alot of it right? and what they are saying is alot of BL is good for loud and the flatness is good for SQ.

there are a few other people that think a stronger motor structure is good for SPL but it is a debated specification. i'd like for glasswolf to get on so i could talk to him about it.

one thing where glasswolf contradicts himself in a way is that the force of the cone to be moved with such athority wouldnt mean its bad for SPL. when you think about it, think of it like a car, you have horse power and torque. SPL is the torque. the real athorative power. thats how i look at it anyway. i think we have a debate on our hands :-) . lets keep it clean though for anyone else who wants to put in their 2 cents.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3072
it doesn't say Xmax on the site....it says EXCURSION:-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2712
whatever it says the tsx doesnt have more excursion lol if somehow it did... it would be very very small difference. but actually, i think the ssi has more excursion by a very small amount. but yeah their specs are kinda weird.. they need to keep all the models rated the same way lol

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3073
i can understand how oyu can say that a high BL is for SPL subs....b/c they need more power to get loud.....but you don't necessarily need a lot of power to get loud. as far as like a IDMAX to an L7. the IDMAX will get loud with very little power....while an L7 needs gobs of power.

so that shows that an IDMAX has a stronger motor....b/c it doesn't need as much power to exert force on the cone.

while the L7 needs a lot of power to exert force on the already heavy cone.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3074
i know that an L7 is louder than an IDMAx....just incase someone wants to be an a.s.s. lol

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3076
Raising the BL you would need more of a moving mass to not throw the sub out of the gap, or something like that."

----------------------------------------------

which means weaker motors are more suitable for SPL so you don't have to increase the Xmax by an ungodly amount to keep the stronger motor from throwing the VC out of the gap.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2713
well, i am trying to look at both sides of the situation, really. but i havent switched over yet. lol ive been taking a look at SPL subs and SQL subs and SQ subs and so far ive check out adire and RE and the SPL subs have a higher BL 70-90% of the time. (so far) im going to go eat like 9 tacos and then i'll be back to look some more :-) btw, check out the MT. insane BL.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3083
i don't want to argue....i have simply been going off of what i have read as well......tacos sound goood right now. mmmmmm:-)

quote:

the SPL subs have a higher BL 70-90% of the time. (so far)

yes and they also have way more excursion capabilites to go with the stornger motor.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2716
were gonna need some jonathan or glasswolf or zacdavis or somethign to help us out.

n just to make sure its clear, im not trying to argue but rather have a conversation of differences in thoughts lol.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3086
right....i stil don't know enough about motors as far as BL and QTS and what not to force my knowledge on anybody....lol

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2720
aparently me neither lol

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1009
Now that ypu guys mentioned the XXX, I know the Xmas is 54mm one way but what is the P2P excursion limits on it? The Treo SSX has a P2P excursion limit of 101.6mm (4")but its Xmas is only 28mm. The XXX handles 2500 rms 2700 max (approx) but the SSX also handles 2500 but is said to be very underated and can handle approx double the rms. Now I know hgher the input power, higher the BL will become, so does this mean that the SSX will sound better and get louder? Polo..

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2697
wow. this thread blew up... :-)
well I agree with Trevor, we need someone with more knowledge on BL period.. But its more physics here than electronics... Like we all know numbers aint everything... so try not to analyize too hard.. :-)

Lets get opinions now:

SSX vs new XXX ???
:-)

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1012
Starting new post nowwwwwwww, lol... :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us