Ported box

Bronze Member
Username: Sweatyogre

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 83
I built a sealed box for my 12 fairly recently, and since it turned out pretty well and wasn't very hard, I'm planning a ported one now. I know a little more about car audio now and I have a few questions.

If I build the box for two 12s, but only use one for awhile, will it affect my one 12s sound in any way? To my understanding it's best to separate chambers in a ported box, is this correct?

How will running two 12s, each at half the wattage that my one is running out now affect my setup's sound?

Where can I get accurate information, or maybe a program to calculate tuning? I've heard of this before.

I'm probably just making this more complicated than it is, but I just like to do my research.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 878
"If I build the box for two 12s, but only use one for awhile, will it affect my one 12s sound in any way?"
Not if they are seperated with a wall.

"To my understanding it's best to separate chambers in a ported box, is this correct?"
Only if the are not seperated I have my 2 12" R's in a 3.5 cuft ported box to 35Hz with no wall.

"How will running two 12s, each at half the wattage that my one is running out now affect my setup's sound? "
If they are subs of the same or better quality then 2 12's should have a little more boom.

"Where can I get accurate information, or maybe a program to calculate tuning? I've heard of this before."
accelerator-pedal.com has a great calculator just make shure you have your specs in hand for best results.

What subs are they ?

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 473
it is much easier to tune a ported box for 2 subs if you separate the box into 2 equal chambers. you will be louder because you are putting the subs into a ported box which adds 3 dB. theoretically if you have half power going to 2 subs it should be the same loudness as 1 of the same sub at twice the power. i like to use the box calculator on accelerator-pedal.com.

have you gone to www.bcae1.com or www.the12volt.com if not you should spend a few hours reading there.

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 474
ha ha ha... beat me to it.

Bronze Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 85
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help from some people with more experience than I have. I'm running one Pioneer TS-W300R 12 right now, and I'm planning on getting another one. I know they're not the greatest, but I'm on a fairly low budget.

Now that I fully understand what I was kind of confused on before, I have one more question. I've seen people mount one sub facing outwards and one facing inward, or both facing inward. Like this:
http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/0f/c8/76_1.JPG

Does this affect the sound or just the look or the subs?

Bronze Member

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 87
For some reason I can't connect to http://www.accelerator-pedal.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us