Pioneer Premier Deh-p780mp..

Silver Member
Username: Scab12886

Post Number: 156
i was heavily considering buying this head unit for my jeep. i know it is pretty new so i may not get much feedback, especially hands-on feedback. But on paper, does this seem like a good head unit? From my research this seems to be better than the new alpines, at the time the only other alternative i was thinking about was a clarion (dxz865mp, i think). So any input good or bad about the pioneer or clarion would be great. i look forward to hearing what people have to say. thanks in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1919
i was gonna get that deck or the 7800 (non premier version) but no one knew when it was comming out, so i went with the DEH-P880PRS instead, which has great reviews and i like it so far. all three of these units are pretty simular and any would be a good choice.

they are better then the newer alpines, but i don' tknow much abour Clarion units, so i can't say.

the 7800's and 780's came out the day after i got the 880, lol, figures.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
thanks brandon. yeah i really like the display on the 880prs. anyone else with any input?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigsim

Post Number: 49
I love the look of the 780, I'm tossing up whether to import one to Australia or wait until they bring out a local version.

It's very similar to the p860mp which a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about, but it plays AAC files, is prettier, but on the downside has weaker pre-outs (still 5V but, so can't complain).

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
yeah true, it looks really good. thanks simon. i gotta say though, every time i look at the 880prs, the white display and look of that grows on me a little more. i guess i'll pick between the 780 and the 880. any more input from anyone would be great, thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Mrbass

Long beach, California United state

Post Number: 37
yeah i agree that 880, 780 are nice specialy the display and looking at it at night times, my friend has it, he told me he got it from ebay so they should have it but be aware of refurbs and used ones ok buddy peace out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
guys try carrozerria it has almost about all the features you would want, im a sony fan but when it comes to pioneer id go for carrozerria version for 310.00 Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
guys dont be hating on these version because they are the best of pioneers and when i mean the best its because their sq, iv been a fan of pioneers but i tried something different this year and its the new sony gtx versionUpload
Upload the middle one has the best sound quality from them
Upload

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1944
i've gotten 2 Pioneer HU's from seller name FSD-DIS on ebay. DEH-P480MP ($145 shipped) and my DEH-P880PRS ($333 shipped). perfect condition, new as described, serial numbers in tact and really fast shipping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
good stuff. how do you like your 880prs brandon? the more i look at it, the more i am leaning towards that over the 780. how does the white display handle sunlight? everything still visible or does the sun drown out the display?

Username: Mythy225719

Post Number: 6
I got the 88oPrs Its incredible! But the dusplays weird... it will invert the color automaticaly.. sucks too...

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1958
i love it. haven't had a problem with reading the display. only thing i've found thats kinda annoying is the MP3 system. you turn the knob on the right and it'll show you the main folders. turn it till you have the one you want highlighted, then push to the right and it'll open up the track list of that folder. turn it and push it in to choose a song...but it doesn't remember where you are on the list. starts you off at the top every time.

i think theres a way to turn off the inverting colors Josh. i like it though, doesn't bother me.

i haven't messed with a 780 or 7800 yet.

Bronze Member
Username: Pvduk

Post Number: 45
Yeah I was going to get a used deh-p860mp, till I saw the that a 780 or 880prs wasnt much more.

I want the 780 for the display, but then compared it with the 880prs, and it doesn't have Auto-EQ and Auto-Time Alignment, what a shame!! Looks like i'm getting a 880prs.

Bronze Member

guys the p780 or p7800mp are the same and other car fanatic site are complimenting p7800mp more then the others and it does have time alignment and 16 band ewq

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Neither the p780 or p7800mp have Auto-EQ and Auto-Time Alignment!

The only difference between these two is the premier has Premier Service and Installation and a 2 year warranty.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1984
Josh, there is an option to turn off the inverting screen. i figured it out yesterday.

i haven't messed with the auto EQ or Time alignment yet, sounds neat, but don't know if its really worth it or not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
I know what auto-EQ is, but not too sure on auto time-alignment. Is that where the speakers will emit the sound at slightly different times so that it gets to your ears at the same time?

I hope it's gimmicky, coz I really want the 7800, but if it's really an earth-shattering difference I might have to get the 880, let me know how it goes Brandon :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
earth-shattering...

Yea time align is that big of a deal! It does wonders... Wouldnt trade it for the world!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Yeah... the more I think (and read) about it the more I'm leaning towards the 880. The one I really can't get past yet is the silver!! Although it is growing on me slowly.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1986
i've got pics over in the sub forum, along with everything else i'm doing to the car. titls is "system progress". i don't know if you wanna see how it looks in the dash. and if i could ever remember, i'd take a pic of it at night.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Hi Brandon,

I'm thinking of getting the deh-p880prs, but am usure about the asthetics!

Does it just have the basic display, or does it have some sort of screensavers, or multi colour functions??

Could you do me a huge favour and take an array of close up photos showing some of the best features of the display (at night prefrebly)???

From this I will then be able to determine whether or not i want to buy it. I'd really appreciate you doing this!

PM me, or I can give you my email if you want.

Many thanks if you can do this for me :-)

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1993
its got all kinds of screen savers including 2 or 3 different EQ displays, volt meter and some others. or you can turn off the "entertainment" function and not run a screen saver.

if you tell be exactly what you wanna see, i can get a pic for you, but heres a couple.

Upload
playing how i have it, i like the eq
Upload
mp3 list. turn the right knob, select folder, push to the right or push in and this is the song list. turn, highlight, push.
Upload
when playing without a screen saver. you can have it show the bit rate lik ethat, or have the folder, track, artist...whatever info is on the disk. top shows clock or source, folder, track number and symbol on the right changes depending on source.
Upload
thats the volt meter deal. its not totally accurate, but pretty close.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1994
Upload
blue
Upload
white

all that changes is the back lit knob and buttons on either side of the screen. i like the blue best.

let me know what exactly your trying to see and i'll get you some more pics and info.

Bronze Member

Thank you very much Brandon!! :-)

I'm a bit stuck now, because I prefer the looks of the deh-p860mp but would have to buy used, and for another $80ish I could have a new 880prs. I would ideally like the DEH-P980BT, but its a bit too much $$ and I dont need bluetooth.

If only the p780 or p7800mp had Auto-EQ and Auto-Time Alignment!! :-(

I might just buy a used 860 and get the AUX input cable.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1998
yeah, the 860's are getting scarce. this is the only new one i found on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-DEH-P880PRS-2006-VRSN-DEH-P860MP-CD-MP3-PLAYER_W0QQi temZ9719156494QQcategoryZ39762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but idk if i'd buy from that seller or not. but all the others on ebay are refurbs.

that does suck how only the 980 and 880 have the auto adjustments. they should have included thoes features on the 780 to make a difference between the 780 and 7800.

Bronze Member

paul van i agree that premier has better warranty then 7800mp, but for those of you havent played with 7800 nor 780mp just to let you know they do have time alignment but just not auto, 7800mp will kick the hell out of 880pr

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
So you put in how far away the speakers are and it goes from there?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
'7800mp will kick the hell out of 880pr', I highly doubt that. Back up your statement! Have you played around with both??

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2007
the 780 and 7800 are more flashy units, but performance wise, the 880 will be better. honestly i wouldn't expect most people to be able to tell the difference between the two.

simon - just get out a tape measure, measure from your head to the speakers, enter in the distances in cm in the HU and thats all there is to it as far as i know. i never mess with the TA.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
sir paul van i respect ur opinion, if you disagree its ok, but i did played with the 880prs, my friend has one and he wants to get 7800, i know why you guys like the 880prs its because its suppose to be higher level then the rest of pioneers but remember it doesnt go that way, if your a real car audio fanatic youl know and once again 7800 will kill 880 prs and dont be a hater just obey

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Riiight...

(btw thanks Brandon :-))

Bronze Member

Hmmmmmm, I think your opinion would be different if say the 880prs had some multi colour LCD or something ;)!!

As said earlier 'Back up your statement!'

You haven't mentioned one proper aspect as to how its better. :S

Username: Mrsq

Long beach, California

Post Number: 5
so your saying the multi colour lcd is nice to look at if thats what you meant am i right, well i know majority of the people here would think the p7800mp looks alot better by just looking at the face and takes alot of advantages but when it comes to sound q there the same

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I have played with both... Personaly I belive the 880 is more advanced, looks less kidyish more respectable and sopisticated... Sound wise there the same. Just less featers on the one... Big deal...

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2015
unless you really know what you are doing and have really high end equiptment, i doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the 880 and the 780 or 7800 other then looks.

i have heard some people complain about the single rotary commander or whatever its called (knob). might wanna play with one before you buy one. the 880 is set up the same as the older models.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Yeah I'm sure SQ is identical. I'm after Auto-EQ and Auto-Time Alignment.

I think i'm gonna go for a used deh-p960mp :-) Opinions??

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2037
i'd get an 860 before i'd get a 960. the dual face has had its problems. same units other then the face. definally wouldn't get a used 960.

i've actually heard more complaints then anything about Pioneer's Auto TA and EQ.

i tried to play with the Auto TA and EQ with my 880, but couldn't get it to work. wouldn't play any test tones to do its adjustments and measurements. no idea why, but everything else works fine and it sounds great. i just wanted to see what kind of change, good or bad, the Auto adjustments would make. any ideas?? lol

Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 9
ok deh-p960mp is totaly nice, and auto-eq,auto time alignment on 880mp is good but just have to know how to play with it

Username: Bitgod

Sacramento, CA

Post Number: 1
Anyone been using a 780(0) or 880(0) with their ipod? Are you happy with it? I'm thinking of getting the 780 and I'm just curious if it does a good job of replacing the ipod controls. Also curious if when it's hooked up to the ipod, do the ipod controls still function or does the HU totally take over?

Username: Feaiel

Post Number: 1
Quote : there is an option to turn off the inverting screen. i figured it out yesterday.

I have a 880 hu as well and I can't figure out how to turn this option off. Could you tell me where in the manual you found this info so I can do it too please?

Thanks! =)

Bronze Member
Username: Blkwardog

Post Number: 55
hey does neone hav ne pics of the 780 installd and lit up at nite or nething?? thanx

Bronze Member
Username: Blkwardog

Post Number: 56
bump

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2275
Feaiel - turn to the initial setup section. its called the reverse option i think. doesn't flat out say what it does though, i just did it and figured it out on my own.

Username: Feaiel

Post Number: 2
Thank you Brandon. =)

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 101
DEH-P980BT

im lookin at one of these but i cant find them anywhere

whats up with that?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2278
no problem Feaiel.

Believe - they might not be out yet. its taken pioneer a long time to get the 780's out.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 339
could you possibly take a picture of it open when you plug something into the auxilary input... thats the only thing im questionable about cuz i use it all the time
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us