AA Assassin Review (Since I have It, What the...)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2374
So I sold the Brahmas because they took entirely too long to receive from reconing (Then there is still residual drama even now re: warranty etc). So I decided to place the order for my Soundsplinter RL-p's, one at a time. But I'm forced to hold off for now because of NSF at the moment. So, in the interim, I nabbed a sub to hold me off-The Ascendant Audio Assassin:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Again, It was the cheapest sub available (that I was interested in) at 88.00 shipped to my door. And I've always been curious as to AA's product line. So, I'll start here.

My first impression was "this is truly a light weight." No heavy hitter at all. Then again, I'm used to the extreme weight and thorough build of the Brahmas. I'm almost frightened to install this puppy. It is really easy to disrespect. I've never been a fan too much of stamped baskets as it is, because they have a cheap, antiquated appeal to them, imo. But then again the JLW3, Arc Audio Arc12D4, and various others are formidable performers. So, I'll keep an open mind.

The tinsel leads aren't woven, nor does the sub have felt on the rear of the cone to absorb the shock when they strike against it. So "lead slap" is anticipated. I'll be replacing the Polk DX-12 that I had sitting in the garage from a previous install. The Soundstream VGA 1600.2 will be pushing this one, just as it did the Polk and the Brahmas. The Assassin will be receiving the same rated 400watts as the Polk, as both are svc 4ohm drivers. But something tells me that the VGA is at least as underrated as the 500.4 and 400.2 pushing my front stage (15-20%). I've heard the Polks pushed with 400watts and they took it and sounded strong doing it. This time the 12" blew (in its defense it has been sitting up in a garage for 5 years). According to Dale at AA, the subs are intentionally underrated (for aggressors like myself :-) ). The suggested 250w is likely a proclamation of the sub's efficiancy, while the 350w is the underrated rms.

Anyway, wifey just walked in. I have the sub stashed behind the computer, so I'll sneak it down to the truck as soon as she and the little one lay it down. I'll do the listening portion then. ;)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Slowcala, FL The one that...

Post Number: 3012
I truly am SOOOO EXCITED!!!!!:-)

i really can't wait.

i love reviews:-):-):-)

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6741
me 2^^^

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2246
i like the packaging my hAvoc came in. Yea the assasin dont look like much but id like a review

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7582
LOL - mike has 2 hide his sub from da wife

i would like a review of ur SS VGA amp too & any SS amps u ever used b4 ......

Gold Member

Post Number: 2376
I'll get on that VGA review for sure. Great amps.

This is the first time in a decade I've had to go the rout of splitting 8aug wire for a sub with basic male end terminals (haven't seen these in some while on a sub). So I had to run to Radio Shack to get the proper connects.

Upload
Upload
Upload

So, once the driver's installed I drop the dB and gain, and then go to defeat my processor and turn off all other speakers. Before I get a chance to raise the gain, I here the same anomaly that I heard from my Polks. Like sand is bouncing off the cone. I slowly increase and then I realize the obvious.. All of the issues I've attributed to a blown sub were really just the result of a blasted leak in the enclosure. The Polk wasn't blown at all. The leak just worsened as the pressure increased.
So, I'll try and head out to the depot manana and build a 1.2-1.5 cuft box. The 1cube wasn't optimal for any of my drivers anyway (plus I'm getting ready for the RL-p's). Regardless, I'll update and bump after I build it. If not, I'll copy & paste and start a new thread to completion. Sorry for the hold. It wasn't intentional :-(

Gold Member

Slowcala, FL The one that...

Post Number: 3047
dangit....but at least oyu found the leak.
you had me worrie there for a sec about the Assassain...i wouldn't think they would make a sub that was just that bad. lol

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2658
"All of the issues I've attributed to a blown sub were really just the result of a blasted leak in the enclosure. The Polk wasn't blown at all. The leak just worsened as the pressure increased. "

WHY that sounds like my SUB BOX... :-) I had the entire back wall come loose!!

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3887
i can't wait til i read your reviews mikechec. you make it sound so interesting. it seems like i am reading a magazine article.

Silver Member
Username: Bulldogsm2008

Iowa City, Iowa

Post Number: 110
i ordered an assassin last thursday ill try to add to this when i get it.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 181
i got mine two weeks ago and for so cheap im really impressed with it im curious on what you have to say about it...im overall pretty new to the car audio world and dont have tons of experiance on other products to base my review on therefor i think ill just let you do your thing looking forward to the rest

Gold Member

Post Number: 2377
Sweet. I think two perspectives are always better than one :-)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3069
yay for more reviews:-)

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1703
can't wait for a review, im sure if there anything like my atlas, they will have good quality, im thinking about buying a 12 since there so cheap, and can work off my kx200.2.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us