Dual 0 gauge. Pair of power, or dedicated ground?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 917
Ok, so I'm running a pair of KnuKonceptz 0 gauge Kolossus wire back from my engine.. Currently, I'm using one for power, and one as a dedicated ground wire..

All total, my system is a bit over 3kw RMS (2400 from class D, 800 coming from a pair of A/B's).

Question is, would it be better for me to run them both back as power, and just make a good ground somewhere in the back for everything? (Including an extra pair of yellow tops in the rear) Or should I stick with using one for power, and one as a ground?

Not sure really my cars chassis would be better, or worse than a seperate 0 gauge ground wire, I've seen people saying things on both sides of the line..

Seth

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2563
I would do 1 for power, and 1 for negative.. to begin with... :-) Ive read alot about tapping the grounds directly on all batteries... :-) Its the way u want to go!! ...
BUT u diffently will want more than 1 run of 0ga for POS goin to the back; if ur chassis is well grd, go for the 2 runs of POS 1st... then add 2 more runs for GRND..
U will gain with the grds tied directly to each other!!

I have 2 runs of 0ga, POS... Im gettin ready to run 2 runs of NEG soon... soon as we get this 200ft of 0ga that is...

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6660
B, if u have any of that 0ga left over let me get that

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1895
i had a run of positive and a run of negitive, all 0Gauge, and ran into all kinds of problems. alternator whine. took out the ground running to the back, solved all my problems.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2580
this must be a isolated case ^^^^ How can u run into all kinds of problems & alternator whine by increasing the current flow???? Current flows negative!! Something else was wrong, somewhere...

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2581
Seth currently with my 2 runs positive 0ga, and 2 short runs of 0ga grd, grounded to the back.. my charging system is stable as a rock!! I was bumping extremely hard last night, and it didnt even drop down to 12v, nothing lower!! Recovery is as quick as can be!!
Ohhh thats just 1 batt under the hood to...
5000RMS!

u have to think about it, the cars chasis introduces more noise to the path to the back!! less resistance = more current flow...

Silver Member

Post Number: 922
Brandon, I've been running a 0 back now for awhile, and I've never had any alternator whine at all.. Not sure what happened in your situation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 924
Brandon, I've been running a 0 back now for awhile, and I've never had any alternator whine at all.. Not sure what happened in your situation.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1901
sorry, but i don't guess my statement can really stand. i had a batcap hooked up too and used it as a dist block. i took it all out (bat cap and 0gauge negitive run which was hooked to the battery's negitive) and all my problems went away. so i'm not sure if it was the negitive run to the back or the bat cap. it was prob the batcap. i forgot to mention that in my previous statement.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2784
brandon...

if you are getting alt noise...try regrounding your HU.

that should fix your problem.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 987
Or did he run his power wires near his rca's? Polo

Silver Member

Post Number: 942
power wires near your RCA causing noise is a myth.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1918
no, nothing now. i took out the ground run from front to back and the bat cap deal and everything's fine. this was a couple months ago. it just dealt with the topic at hand.

you sure induced noise through the RCA's from the power wires is a myth Seth?? it makes since that it could happen but i've never had a problem with it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 944
Brandon, I've actually looped my RCA's around my power wire (cheap $8 parts america RCA's, too.) and it made no difference from when i was running them along the opposite side of the car.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1650
ive alwasy had my rca's and power wire ran right next to each other never had a problem with them either just more of a convenience issue and i am running 0 gauge

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1006
Well I know top installer run power on one side and signal on the other side of the vehicle, so myth or not why take a chance..Polo.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1934
lol, ok Seth. then i guess so. theres no room to run everything down one side in my car. theres a run of 0gauge, 2 RCA's, 8 runs of speaker wire, REM wire plus a lot of stock wires running down each side, lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us