Ported box vs. Sealed box

Username: 69_ohm_stable

Post Number: 9
As some of you may know, I am gonna buy three JL audio 12w3v3's. I am powering them with an MTX thunder 942 which will give them all about 350 watts. I am looking for good sound quality, but I want to be able to pull up in the lane at a few local competitions this year. What do you guys recommend? Ported box or a sealed box? Should I build it based on the factory specs? and tune it to about 30Hz or should I go a bit higher? Please help me because a brotha cant help himself this time.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 626
If you plan on going ported, I would stick to 30 htz. Maybe lower like 27 htz. With a ported box you will lose all frequencies below tuning. You won't with a sealed box, but it won't be as loud. As for SQ, a ported box can sound very nice, but tend to sound a bit boomy. The bass isnt as "tight". You won't notice with rap, but with rock music with double bass it might not sound as clean as you want it too.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2662
an enclosures tuning in no way cuts off a subwoofers frequency output. and i said cuts off not rolls off. below tuning the output will roll off but a ported box with a 40hz tuning can easily play a 30hz tone with a SSF set correctly but not as well as a 30hz tuned box. tune 32-34hz. lower if you want. take a look at marshalls interchangable ports or use pvc ports and be able to change the length so you can tune just below your cars resonant frequency for comps.

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 123
yo trevor u live near tampa wut school u go to alonso, sickles, chamberlian, gaither..??????

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 105
no he goes to central high school in hernando county... i attend one of his rival schools :-)

Silver Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 124
i actually live like to seconds away from tampa hernando is IMO out thier in the boondocks i think
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us