2001 Clarion

Username: 69_ohm_stable

Post Number: 7
I have a 2001 Clarion DB315. I was wondering if you guys thought that it was too out dated or if I can just put it in my new car as well. It has two sets of pre amp outputs, 2 volts preamp, but it isnt satelite radio ready. I guess I would have to buy an FM modulator? It is still in great condition and looks great. But it is pretty basic. I bought it for $200.00 back then. I have already spent like $2000.00 in my amps, speakers, and a box. Should I just run with it or buy a new unit?

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 55
My only reason for hesitation to keep using it if it's in good shape, would be that if you want to run subs you don't have sub preouts. You can get a really decent deck with three sets of preouts that will be satelite and MP3 compatible for under $150. It's your call though, that was a pretty decent HU when it first came out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
what kind of head unit do you think I should buy? I was thinking about getting an eclipse cd4000 but that is like $350.00! What should I buy to get more for less. I was also considering a Panasonic. They are on sale at circuit city on sale for $269.00

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
here are the specs on the panasonic
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-In-Dash-CD-Player-CQ-C8303U-/sem/rpsm/o id/143692/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

heres the eclipse
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Eclipse-Advanced-Function-CD-MP3-In-Dash-Player-C D3000-/sem/rpsm/oid/146068/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Bronze Member

Vermont

Post Number: 56
Well, first off, realize that you're going to probably end up paying more than the $150 I mentioned earlier if you buy at a store vs. online. I generally buy from Cardomain.com, Amazon.com, or ebay (new products only) and you'll end up saving yourself a lot of cash for the exact same products.

In terms of what deck to buy, I can't speak from experiance on Eclipse or Panasonic. Looking at the specs, they seem like fine decks, but I'd probably buy an Alpine or Pioneer before either of those. Personally, I run the Pioneer DEH-P5800mp and it works out great for me. I'm not sure what your other needs are though. I will say that for that Eclipse, most of your money is buying you the 5V preouts. Now, I don't know if you're going to notice the reduction in noise resistance between 5V and 2V or 2.2V, but if so, then that's probably going to be one of the least expensive decks with that option.

Here's a link to a quick comparison I put together on Crutchfield.com with those two decks and some others you might want to think about. Crutchfield is a great place to do research, but as you'll notice their prices tend to be a bit hight (in their defense they do offer great service). Hopefully some other people will chime in and add their input.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J6XVqicc5Es/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=300&c=3&s=0&cc=0 1&pt2=0&compareitems=130DEHP480&compareitems=500CDA9856&compareitems=130DEHP580& compareitems=500CDA9851&compareitems=099CD3000&compareitems=130DEHP680&compareit ems=500CDA9853&compareitems=133C8303&x=34&y=7

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
wow, I don't know how much effort it took to put together that chart but it was very helpful! Thanks alot! So of all of those head units, which one would you reccomend?

Bronze Member

Vermont

Post Number: 57
Ha, don't worry about it, that chart took all of maybe 1 minute. Crutchfield is a VERY usefull site. I'd go in there and click on each deck you're thinking about and then look under the "hands-on research" tab, there's usually some really good info in there.

Well, like I said, I run the Pioneer DEH-P5800mp (3rd from the left on that chart) but everyone has different needs. I got that one because I had good experiances with Pioneer decks in the past and was moving up from the DEH-P6400mp that I had for 5 years or so. I got the 5800 because it had good RMS wattage, sub preouts (that were 2.2V vs. 2V on the Alpines) and honestly becuase the red matched the rest of my car's interior. At that price range, it's really about personal preference more than anything else since, as you can see, a lot of the features are pretty similar. And like I said, I've never used Panasonic or Eclipse products so I'd say just be patcient and ask around as much as you can to get a feel for their reliablity and pefromance from people who may have actually used them.

Also, make sure to read the reviews on Crutchfield and elsewhere for each deck but keep in mind that anybody can submit a review and 2 things tend to be true: 1) people are more likely to write a review if they have a bad experiance with a product but conversely 2) Sometimes people are hesitent to go online and basically say "I just spent all this money on a product I didn't research and now it sucks and I'm stuck with it". Just take them with a grain of salt I guess is what I'm saying. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us