SQL port. 40hz???

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2635
DD suggests a 40hz tune on all of their subs. they also suggest using 16sqinches of port per cuft. DD is known for SPL but dont get confused. i bet they know a thing or two about making a sub sound good. they even state on their site they care about SQ and their suggestions will get you SQ. my question is would you follow their suggestions? 16sqin per cuft and 40hz tune? also, i wonder if all SPL orientated subs soung good like this... example, RE MT 15, 40hz tune. 4cuft, 64sqinches of port. usually SPL subs sound better with larger port areas... so is their a method to their madness?

and if your all kinda confused on what im asking... whats your opinion on DD's advice?

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 141
I've wondered that too. I may try it with the treos when they come in, but for 2 15s that in a 6 cu. ft. net box, and its 16inches tall. So therefore my port would have to be like 6inches wide. Wouldnt this be a lil too big?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2644
no it sounds good :-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2645
btw, for noobs, DD is a very informative site. thats where i first learned why a ported box was louder than a sealed.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Slowcala, FL The one that...

Post Number: 2948
my DD is tuned to 30hz

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1558
i was wondering the same thing i posted it a little while ago asking rovin about it cause i was thinking about tuning my box to 38 for my dd 9512 and i was also told that the 9500 series is very good on the sq side aswell cause they arent made actually for spl but for studio use and in a studio you dont want bad sounding music so they are actually designed with sq in mind alot of people that own them say they keep up with everything and play every note perfect someone even compared it to the idmax not saying its true but just waht i heard lol

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7504
idk y they would rec 40 (maybe its 4 SQL) looking @ the T/S on a sub like their 12" 9500 series its Fs = 34 hz . They would know what they r rec 2 ppl but i remember reading that its best if u tune a box just above its Fs .

imo - i'd prolly go like 35/36hz for the most if u want SQL ....

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 174
Can someone explain Fs to me?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3027
i lied....my sub is tuned to 40hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 3028
Fs = Free air resonance

which means at that frequency in free-air, the subs VC rises in impedance, which lower the effectiveness of your amp to power it. :-) so oyu would need more power to achieve the same output at that hz level. so basically, it is pointless to tune oyur box below the Fs on a sub.

if i am wrong in anyway, please don't hesitate to correct me, accuracy is my main concern.:-) lol

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 176
Makes sense to me. I thought impedance rise occured in almost all ported boxes tho, at least i remember reading that on a post on here. So does impedance rise only occur when a sub is playing below its Fs?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3031
yes. i think. lol

i am not an electrical engineer like some people. lol

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2660
VERY NICE SQL @ 40hz!! Its mind-boggling!! TRUST ME!
My new BOX will be 40hz!! with 150sq" of port!! :-)
DD and Treo use same enclosures...

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2672
doesn't Treo reccomend alot of low tuning on boxes? if i remeber correctly i thought the tuning for the ssi10 was like 27hz. or atleast around 30 i dont remember. my brother is probably wanting it to be sealed though.... if he lets me port it im not sure what tuning im giong to go with yet.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3060
your best bet is to call them...tell them your situation...they will help you.:-)

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2666
Treo recomends DD tuning for the longest time, I remember in the past... nothing has really changed with their subs.. MY boi with the 4 TSXs is tuned @ 38hz, and he recomends me do it @ 40hz... especially with the power im using, its gonna crack something in half and sound excellent!
THE SQL is not even comprehendable in his Tahoe!! :-)
Tell your brother to tune the TREO SSI to about 35hz or so... I wouldnt even seal it, let it do its job correctly!! A Treo ported sounds even better than sealed... I dont know why it works this way... :-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2676
yeah, but i really want it to be louder than a 12L7 sealed. he doesnt want it to be(he doesnt care if it is though) and i already know its ging to sound better. it would just be a good lesson for him to learn that the L7 isnt the greatest sub by having a 10 inch round sub beat it up :-)

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2667
lol, if he port it even @ 40hz, it will blow his socks off... & I wouldnt even compare the SQ...
What kind of amp will he be using???

Gold Member

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3062
my DD is tuend to 40hz...and i listen to rock all day and nobody has ever said.....man, your box is tuned too high. lol

is sounds really good with SQ as far as the 40hz tune.....and it get s really loud:-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2680
hes going to pull they whole "only sealed boxes can have punchy bass" because he likes classic rock and hard rock as well as country and rap when hes going to the club. which i can assure him hes wrong, a well ported box can too. but he never believes me about anything! and i have to do what he wants, it is his truck. you know what. i'll use my own money to build a ported box and if he doesnt like it i'll do it sealed. i mean whats it gonna cost me. 25$? no biggie to put a smile on some1s face :-)

question though. it your guys opinion, or fact if you know.... at what tuning does a sealed box have more output down REAL low than a ported. say the 30-40hz region. will a 35hz tune be louder at 30hz (with SSF) than a sealed? it should atleast be the same right?

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 982
idk if the ported sounds better than the sealed...every sealed SSi ive heard has been near perfect.

just thought id toss that in there B:-)

but then again the box has the final say if it will be good or not.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2681
hes using a p1001bd its the model before the "t" models and its the pro series. its 1000 watts rms at 2 ohms.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2683
jake- have you heard them ported though? if so how was the SQ on them then?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2670
:-) yes Jake Treo sealed will sound excellent, but the ported still can hold its own.... The question is enclosure, the correct box built to specs, either ported or sealed... Treos in general get-off in ported boxes, sq wise and spl..

technically the sealed will get lower, but ported will get almost as loww, and sound way louder, & u can feel it!! otherwise, u will be givin a sealed box, lots of power, trying for that same effect...
:-)

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2684
"sealed will get lower, but ported will get almost as loww"
depending upon tuning. if you tune at 30hz the ported will have tons more output down low than a sealed. thats why i cant decide what i want to tune at. i will give Treo a call this week n see what they have to say though.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 988
Using a round port will give you a wider range of tunability, a slot port tune is a narrower band. Polo. :-)

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2677
Polo, i dont think that statement is true at all... lol

well 4 TSX ported @ 38hz, is low enough to vibrate parts in ur head... :-) i will never forget that!! It gets low man, this wasnt no SPL loud, lol... IT WAS LOWWW!! its not only loud but extraordinary low... think about it, his box is tuned low for a SPL box, and other competitors want to get their spl setups sounding low like his...
Its his daily driver Trevor..

Low is when its sets off 100 car alarms at the same time!! :-) Like a earthquake.. Im a witness..

Call TREO... but testing is only best!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7597
i think what Polo meant was that with a circle/pipe port its easier 2 change out if u wanna go lower or higher freq but with a slot port ur pretty much stuck with it , permanent no options .

Also if space is a consideration pipe ported box will take up less space too (& its lighter too) , ur choice 2 decide whats best 4 ur application .....

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2686
yes, a pvc port takes up less volume but depending on the instal can be in the way even more. for example. if i have to have both the port and sub firing down, and i only have say 14 inches to work with, a 4 inch flared port and a 10 inch sub comes out to 16 inches. any1 have experience with an install with sub firing down and port firing up? or maybe port firing forward. i think i want to use a 4 inch flared port to enhance SPL and SQ.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3894
i've heard my treos in sealed first then i changed it to a 30hz tuned box. the ported got louder and cleaner. i was suprised cause the other subs i had sounded cleaner sealed but the treo sounded better ported. lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us