Problems with Alpine MRV-F345

Username: Devaughn

Post Number: 1
I have an Alpine MRV-F345 for about 5 months now. I had only two channels hooked up for all that time until I recently added two infinity kappas on my back door so now I'm using all four channels. While tuning the amp I realised for the first time that the fan (viewable once you remove the metal cover that reveals the controls) wasnt spinning. I thought it was kinda strange, so I decided to monitor it. Well, in an 35 mins of playing music at 17/40 volume setting on the Pioneer the temperature of this amp ran up to 131 degree F. And still the fan didnt come on. Does anyone know if this is normal. I don't even know what is normal cause I never had the display set to show the temp until now. Also I never paid attention to the fan before so I cant say if there was ever a time when it was spinning. The amp felt a bit hot at that temp but not so hot that you couldn't touch it. I believe that this amp has a variable speed fan BUT to not come on at 131 deg F is kinda wierd. I figure either the fan or the heat sensor could be bad.

Has anyone with this amp ever had this problem? If not what do you think should be the normal internal temp for an amp? The mono Alpine amp that I have usually doesnt cross 110 deg F.

Upload

Username: Bmarian21

Post Number: 7
have you tried contacting alpine ? if u still have a warranty on it take it back for a new one

Post Number: 2
I did contact Alpine. They told me that the amp's operating temperature runs up to 170 deg F so that the 131 deg F that I got wasnt a problem. Also, the guy I spoke to said that the fan will only come on at the Max temperature to cool back down the unit. I'm going to monitor the situation. If anything bad happens I'll still have the warranty to save me

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7519
i have the alpine 545 model & i too noticed what u r saying but mines never got up so high temp as urs .

U must know however that 2/3/4 chan amps r CLASS A/B & then r expected 2 get a bit warm since AB amps produce alot of wasted heat energy ...

Post Number: 3
That makes alot of sense Rovin. I also have a mono Alpine amp (MRD-M500) and I've never seen the temp on it higher than 118 deg F. I'm not sure if that model has a fan though, because you can't see it when you over the controls cover. Well, it's been a week since I'm using all four channels and the MRV-F345 amp hasn't failed, so I guess all is well.
BTW, I live in the Caribbean where the temperature outside does get past 90 deg F sometimes. But I almost always drive with A/C on.

Post Number: 4
That makes alot of sense Rovin. I also have an Alpine MRD-M500 mono amp and I've never seen the temp rise past 118 deg F. Well, its been about a week now since ive been using all 4 channels on the MRV-F345 and it has failed one bit so I guess all is well.
BTW, I live in the Caribbean where the outside temp can rise past 90 deg F, but I almost always drive with A/C on
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us