What is the best Frequency to set a box for a 12" R ?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 823
what is the best Frequency to set a box for a 12" R ?

Silver Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 315
i have a pair with the box at 32hz, and i think i read somewhere that rovin had his box at 33hz, or something close to it.

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1104
28 - 35 hz

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7483
that range above^^^^is TOO wide - its like saying $28000-$35000

well just last wk i was experimenting daily with different freqs on my 3" pvc ported Rs 1.65cuft

Originally i had my Rs @ 33/34hz then i tried >

32 = GR8 tight bass & SQ but lost in SPL ,NOT loud outside of car but inside ur spine gets a nice massage -lol
35 = its boomy/ALOT of SPL but VERY noticable drop in SQ ,ppl will def hear u from far

So iwent back 2 my 33/34hz tuning which sounded best in my ride which is a Hatchback
33Hz is the best of both worlds - IMO .......

Bronze Member
Username: Kingjames

OH USA

Post Number: 83
so could someone post a pic of a box blueprint close to 34Hz i saw someone post a pic of one for car my car, grand prix. it was 16 tall by i think 36 wide ( i think it was rave'n ) but it was like 30-32Hz i want something in 34-35 Hz

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 182
Rovin how do you manage to test tune your box? I have no idea what mine is tuned at I just know it sound sgood to me... how would I figure this out?

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1107
are you kidding me? your telling me a 35hz tuned "spl" box is gonna be so much louder than a 32 hz box? and have a drastic loss in sq? because of the massive 3 hz gap? i doubt there will even be a 1 db increase between the 2

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 833
So I can change the shape of my box as long as my box net area ,port length ,Port area Stay the same would it be tuned correctly?

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1111
yes as long as the box gross volume, port area/length/displacement u can make it any shape u want and it will be tuned the same

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 837
So basicly I could just make a 41.25" long port like pic 2 as long as everything else is ok?
I dont want to port it like that I am just wanting to know if that is how it works.
Both are the same net size, port lenghth ,Ect...
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7501
well i did try it out & YES , TRUST ME a "measly" 3Hz is a HUGE difference ! @ least from what i heard with my Rs ...

hey dont believe me ? - go try it out ur self , all its gonna cost u is some pipe , glue & glue drying time with trying dif pipe lengths ....

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1556
hey buddy im pretty sure 3 hz is a huge diffrence because then what would be the point of even tuning your box cause you could just try to get it close to say 35 and have it on 38 then you still wouldnt be happy with it theres a reason for it and yes 3 hz will make a audible diffrence rovin i was thinking 38 for my dd you think thats good or should i go lower

Gold Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1113
go play a 35hz test tone then 34,33,32 and see how much diff there is.. musically i built a box for a 15" type r' tuned to 37 hz and a box for 2 12's tuned to 33 hz , since my amp changes the subsonic filter in 5's i was able to set both at 30 hz without any overexcursion problems, and both were picking up the same frequencies.. spl i cant really compare cause it was diff vehicles..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us