Tri-Treo Configurated Enclosure.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 893
I recently got stuck with two nice Treo SSI 10s and I am also gonna purchase an SSX 15.11. I had a thought, maybe I can use all three subs even though different sizes but all in separate chambers? I will have the 15 centered with a 10 on each side behind my back seat. the enclosure will be one large one but with three separate chambers. The center chamber will be approx 3.85cf tuned to 32hz and the other two side chambers being 1cf each tuned to 43hz. The single 15 will take care of business down below (20-55hz) while the two tens take of the upper, more on the SQ level (40hz-175hz). The frequency numbers are just an approx figure will have to be fine tuned later on. So what ya think? Any feedback or info welcome! Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Panocha

Post Number: 115
D@mn polo youre the one who bought the 10" ssi's i saw the thread and i was gonna buy one then i signed on ebay and you beat me to it lol. its all cool though cause i just got a ss1 15" for 210 shipped:-)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 896
SEE, I wasn't the only b@stard that was gonna buy them, I AM JUST A FASTER one... Polo. :-O

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2528
I think it could work, seperate chambers, aimed the correct way... yeah.. :-) Thats gonna be sickly low, with some nice sq...

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 899
I was thinking the two tens aiming through the back deck and ports facing forward on left and right of the 15 and the 15's port in the middle of the 10s in the deck? Ot all three facing me behind the seat and all ports through the deck, we'll see. Anyone know of a good cad program for this stuff? Polo.. :-)

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2530
Bassbox is like 200$ or something, but WINISD is free, then its a bunch of online calculators...

Loose the back seat.. :-)
I like the idea of the 2 10s in the rear deck! Ports, left & right far sides, facing into the cabin for the 10s... SSX sealed from the rest of the trunk; ported between the 10s.... << that is what Ill try 1st..
OR
even if u can port, bellow, or above the 15 itself, and still use some area in the middle of the other ports??

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3826
all that is going to fit in your grand prix? or is all that gonna go in to another car? i would assume you would want a big enclosure for the ssx when you get it.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 902
One way or another, it will fit. Even if I have to bust out the plasma cutter and mig welder, it will fit, ohhhhh yes it will,lol. Polo. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 644
so it will work with blending in togther since its the same sub and model just different sizes....

so that wont work with my 2 15 Mb quarts and 2 10 infinity kappa perfects

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 904
Sure it would, as long as they are all phased correctly and in there own enclosures, it should be fine. Back in the days we use to use multiple boxes like say a box with two 12's then we wanted louder so we just through in another amp/box and it worked as long as the phasing was correct. I have done this with both sealed and ported. Just keep the 10's together and the same for the 15's. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2613
not good. your not suposed to mix sizes nevermind different models. pick one or the other. 2 10s or 1 15. also. you dont need to xover your sub so high. 80hz will be fine. note that the sub doesnt stop playing at 80hz but the power starts to be reduced. your components should pick up well below appx175hz

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 907
not good. your not suposed to mix sizes nevermind different models.

Your not supposed to mix/match sizes withing the same enclosure. Trevor if what you say is true then you could not run 6x9's within the same vehicle as your subs.The only ones that would be crossed over high is the two tens to retain an SQ type of bass. Polo..

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2616
speakers and subs are very different things. and if that was how it works youd see SQ comp cars having speakers from .5 inch all the way to a 18" sub. also. if you have a bird singing, and a jackhammer going off. which are you going to notice? the jackhammer. just because the ssis have good SQ wont make the ssx have better SQ. not saying the SSX cant sound good but the ssis wont make it better. nobody that knows what they are doing have multiple sized subs. that should say something right there.

(that last statement wasnt meant to say you dont know anything, it was meant to make a point that if that was a good option many people would do it)

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 908
I understand what you are saying. Listen up, each sub will be it's own appropriate enclosure producing there own frequency. This is very possible and has been done many, many times in the past. The two SSI's aren't going to make the SSX sound better but allow it to run on a narrower set of frequencies. The two SSI's will be used to produce bass from approx 40-175hz while the SSX will produce from approx 20-55hz. This will allow each sub to run with its own tune yielding the best possible sound. Now the frequency separation isn't set in stone and YES the 10's can produce bass past 200hz, easily. I am not looking for an audiophile-type of car and nor do I compete. As long as you separate each's frequency it will work well, notice in my original post, there isn't much of an overlap and even that can be changed. Polo..

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 909
http://www.clubknowledge.com/Car_Audio_FAQ/archives/339.html

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 910
http://www.clubknowledge.com/Car_Audio_FAQ/archives/2347.html

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2617
i wouldn't reccomend it. more trouble then its worth. you should just get some tangbangs or something. at200hz i dont consider that bass. and a subs optimum performance is to be crossed over at like 80hz (sometimes higher) where as usually a midbass speaker would pick up from there to like 600hz. thats what tangbang-like speakers are for. when treo made the ssi i doubt they were thinking of using it as a midbass. i think installing a good 6.5-8 inch midbass speaker in your doors would be better. but if your really going to do it im sure we'd all like to see the results.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 686
Polo, it will be loud, but it won't sound good. You will spend countless hours on building it, and even more hours going insane trying to find a good way to cross everything over. You'll frustrate yourself to death trying to get anything remotely resembling a flat response curve. Your response curve will look like the rocky mountains.

I'm not saying that nobody could ever get it right, but I just think you are about to enter a world of pain.

Not to mention rediculous amounts of time plotting your output of each box on their own, making sure that each tune dips fluidly where the other one rises. It's a logistical nightmare. :-)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it done, and have it sound amazing, but I really think that your time and effort could be better spent.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 687
Spend a few hours in WinISD to find the perfect box for that SSX 15. Quasi-butterworth 3, ohhhh yeaaah.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 688
I'd give the Treo tech support guys a call and see what they say about the capability of those SSI 10's for midbass, and run the whole thing by them.

Maybe you could pull it off, where there's a will there's a way, and we all know you've got the will!

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 916
The cutoff would be purely electronic. I will be keeping a each sub in it's own tune by narrowing the frequency band. It shouldn't be too much of a headache because of the separation it will have. I may not even let the frequencies overlap all that much. With all subs energy originating from the same origin will be much better than having it in a differnt areas. I agree it is gonna take some work but I see it working. I will e-mail Treo and see what they say. Polo..

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2538
im postive it will work man; and sound good!!... lol

Remember that Cadence ambulence?? I think it had all sizes of speakers and subs.. talk about imaging!! Its also many of vehicles with differnt sizes.. Just comes down to a damn good install!!
Im sure the SSI can handle that range..

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 957
Me2. Either way it comes down to getting an SSX, lol.. :-) Polo..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us