'99 Acura TL: aftermarket HU need aftermarket speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Erikdagenerik

Livermore, CA US

Post Number: 63
Forgive me if this question has been answered several times before, I just didn't know how to search for it here.

I called a shop inquiring about an installation for an aftermarker head unit for my '99 TL. He asked me if it currently had a BOSE system, and I said yes. He said that I would need aftermarket speakers too because the speakers are "self amplified".

Do I really need after market speakers? Eventually I will buy some, I've spent so much money lately, I plan to invest in them later.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2913
Yes, you do need aftermarket speakers. Even if you did bypass the amp on each speaker (Or single factory amp in the car), they'll sound terrible. The parameters of the output from the aftermarket head unit will in no way match those of the stock head unit. It's one of the biggest problems with upgrading the Bose systems.

I know a few people who have been able to use the Bose amplification to power their BOse speakers, but they had to modify the Bose amplifier so that the speakers didn't make a 'thud' noise every time lower bass notes hit. The problems emanating from such a modification require someone fairly technical (not your average day installer) for a successful installation.

Bronze Member
Username: Erikdagenerik

Livermore, CA US

Post Number: 64
thx jexx

i ordered some aftermarket speakers anyway just to get it out of the way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us