Alpine CDA 9851 cuts off at high volume

Username: Jay_w

Pendleton, SC USA

Post Number: 1
Hey fellows..
I'm having some trouble with my head unit in my Jeep. Its an Alpine CDA 9851, it produces really great sound and works great with my Pioneer speakers. However, when I push the volume up around 19, 20, or 21 the unit cuts off, and reboots. I have no clue what is causing it to do this, I'm not pushing a whole lot of power in it, I think it should be able to handle 180 watt speakers easily.

thanks for the help,
~Jay

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1837
i had that problem with another alpine unit a while back. it was my cheapo pos amp that kept cutting everything on and off.

you might wanna run you a larger power wire directly to the battery. i've heard that helps in this situation.

Pendleton, SC USA

Post Number: 3
Larger as in larger gague wire?

thanks for the help Brandon, I'm kinda stumped at this point...plus I can't really hear anything when the top is down!

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1867
yeah, larger gauge wire. maby upgrade the ground too. some of thoes Alpines require a lot of current when using the internal amp. the V-Drive ones from a while back especially.

Silver Member
Username: Ruthless06

C-ville, Va USA

Post Number: 145
Yeah sounds like a voltage problem. If your running it off of the factory harness that sometimes isn't enough for aftermarket radios. Or a speaker can be blown, I know with Alpine and Pioneer Headunits if one or more speakers are blown they usually don't cut on or don't cut all the way up. So check the resistance on your speakers, and then upgrade your power and ground.

Pendleton, SC USA

Post Number: 4
The speakers are fine...as far as I know. But I'll check 'em out just to be on the safe side. I had the unit "professionally" installed by a local audio shop, the did the wiring harness and all that, so it might be the power and ground. Thanks guys :-)

Username: Jeani201

North carolina

can somebody tell me how to change animation screen on my alpine cda-9855 ?
thanks

Username: Cooldrummer00

New Jersey USA

I have an Alpine CDA7893 head unit with JL Audio 1000.1 mono pushing 2 12" Eclipse Aluminums DVC and a JL Audio 300.4 pushing the Boston Acoustics componets. I Have a 1 fared Monster Cap with a yellow Top Optima Battery. 4 Gauge Monster Cable running through the whole car. At like volume 20 to 25 or songs with loud bass my head unit cuts off and back on. Anyone help?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1970
4 AWG isn't large enough for 1300 under rated WRMS. upgrade to 0 gauge.

do you have a HO Alternator to handle the 110 amps or so of additional current draw?? if not, get one or your gonna have some blown speakers, subs and burned up amps pretty soon. or just a dead alternator and fried battery if your lucky.

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 2
Nope I still have to uparde my alternator. Thats next on my list. Ive talke to alot of installers and theyt said that 4 gauge is ok for both amps also 0 gague wire will not fit in the amps. also I have a warrenty on everything so if anything goes bad no matter what im covered. what about eh head unit?

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 3
Also which alternator do u reccamond? Is Stinger ok?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us