Username: Kicker101

Alberta

Post Number: 37
i want a cd/mp3/ ipod compatibale head unit for around $800?? any sugjestions

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1823
just about all Pioneer and Pioneer Premier models are cd, mp3 and ipod compatable. i just got a DEH-P880PRS, it'll be here Monday. said to be one of the best units out right now.

Alpine also makes some units that'll work for you, but Alpine has kinda gone down hill lately. not terrible, just better for the money out there.

are you looking for a direct connect kinda deal for the ipod or a add on box/interface deal for it??

Bronze Member
Username: Kicker101

Alberta

Post Number: 49
i dunno direct connest is coool but whats the diff is direct connect where u just hook the i pod cord up to it??

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1829
well, direct connect means you hook the ipod directly to the back of the unit. an interface means you have a seperate box that hookes to the back of the unit, then your ipod hooks into it. not really sure if either is really better then the other though. i'm not an ipod fan.

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 49
The differences you'll run into with direct connect vs breakout box connections will mostly deal with your controls. Most of the new Alpines can use a dedicated cable that allows you to go right from the iPod to the deck and control the iPod with the deck controls. Other brands allow you to use the deck's AUX in but you'll have to use the iPod controls (I actually prefer that, but that's up to you). Most of the breakout box options basically just interperate signals and send them to and from the deck so that you can control the iPod with the deck controls. I've seen a lot of Alpine and Pioneer boxes in the last few years, but other companies offer them as well. Alpine is the only company so far to put out a single, dedicated cable at a reasonable price. Before that, you had to buy the breakout box for around $100.

The old breakout box (secondary connection):
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=500KCA420I

vs

The new cable (direct connect):
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=500KCE422I

Bronze Member
Username: Yayo

Post Number: 12
defently the new cable... but with the break out box u have to control the ipod from the deck??

Bronze Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 50
I somehow neglected to mention the major selling point of the break out box method which is that the song info from you iPod is displayed on your deck. Alpine's new cable does that as well, with only a bit of lag between switching songs and seeing the title displayed. AUX in methods, which can be worked out on almost all newer decks from all the major companies, only allow for playback, and the display and controls are on the iPod itself.

YAYO - Yeah, almost all (as far as I'm aware) of the breakout boxes, and even the new alpine cable (I think, don't hold me to that), lock the iPod when they're attached so that all control is done by the deck. That's the reason I prefer to use the AUX in method because I'm used to the controls on the iPod and I don't think any company has really nailed a great iPod interface on their deck, though I do hear good things about that Alpine cable.

Sorry to semi-jack this thread John, I'll get off my iPod hook-up soap box now.

The $800 range is sort of an in between place for decks. With a couple hundred more $$ you could be looking into mostly motorized DVD decks and such, but for that kind of price tag I'd stick to upper level Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse and Clarion decks. From there it's just going to depend on what else you're looking for in terms of bells and whistles and any brand loyalty you might have. I like pioneer myself, but that's just personal preference. If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd probably look into one of these five:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=300&c=3&s=0&cc=0 1&pt2=0&compareitems=130DEHP980&compareitems=500DVA9861&compareitems=099CD7000&c ompareitems=020VRX755&compareitems=130AVHP570&x=24&y=4
Though there are probably others I'd consider as well, and if I had to choose I'd probably end up with the Pioneer 9800 based on the 5V preouts, 16 band EQ, 22W RMS output and low FM sensitivity.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1836
just to let you know, its been about 2 months since i've been waiting to get the Pioneer DEH-P7800MP, and NO ONE knows when it'll be out. same deal with the 9800. pioneer doesn't even know what the deal is with them. so i ended up going with a different unit, the 880PRS instead.

Just thought i'd let you know.

Theres some guys on the caraudio.com forum that have that Eclipse 7000 unit. might wanna go over there and read on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us